White House slams Republican offshore drilling bill

There are companies other than BP that do offshore drilling.

They do however one of the biggest market shares.

BP Plc : Overview

BP ranks in the top three in terms of reserves in the global oil and gas industry with operations in Europe, the Americas, Asia, Australasia and Africa [17]. More than 70% of profits are generated in Europe and the United States but the company is also pressing ahead with new exploration and production operations in Africa, South America, Asia and the Caspian sea [18].

BP is the largest retailer of gasoline in the US. [19] Marketing as AMOCO in the eastern United States and ARCO in the west, it has about 17,150 service stations nationwide [20].

And...SO what?

Sounds to me that he thought it out just fine. If a private enterprise wanted to build something that could have a devastating effect on you (mega-hog farm, oil rig, strip mine, nuclear power plant, etc.) you should have some sort of say whether or not it is built or what kind of guidelines should be put in place. Especially if it's going to destroy a business you spent a lifetime building.

I'm not surprised that you believe he thought it out.

You do have a say through the court system. There are also zoning laws. But these issues are only a small part of the regulatory police state we all suffer under now.

Don't blame ME if your worldview is so easily encapsulated. It's my job to observe your behavior and comment on it, not to make it sound intelligent.

You're making an awful lot of assumptions in general, including about my behavior and worldview. Neither of which you seem to know about. I'm merely remarking that you making such sweeping generalizations add nothing to the conversation. All you're doing is espousing your ideology. Not making any sort of rational statement.

Yeah, honey. You're so damned complex, and I have short-term amnesia, so I have no idea what your worldview might entail or what ideals and policies you espouse. You keep telling yourself that. :cuckoo:

I'm sure you think "nothing is added to the conversation" by pointing out how utterly unrealistic the basis of liberalism is, because that precludes you from demanding that your bullshit be treated like sensible, rational behavior, instead of the childish insanity that it so often is.

I'm equally sure that you somehow think "espousing my ideology" is both different from what everyone else does, and somehow worthless simply because it's not an ideology that you like. However, by rejecting an opinion simply because it IS an opinion - and not one you like - you are merely espousing YOUR ideology. And as you just told us, that adds nothing to the conversation. :eusa_angel:

I repeat: leftist policies are based on an assumption that enough government intervention can make life completely safe and prevent anything bad from happening. Agree or disagree, but don't try to pretend that discussing the worldview underlying the behavior is somehow an invalid topic.

Sounds to me that he thought it out just fine. If a private enterprise wanted to build something that could have a devastating effect on you (mega-hog farm, oil rig, strip mine, nuclear power plant, etc.) you should have some sort of say whether or not it is built or what kind of guidelines should be put in place. Especially if it's going to destroy a business you spent a lifetime building.

I'm not surprised that you believe he thought it out.

You do have a say through the court system. There are also zoning laws. But these issues are only a small part of the regulatory police state we all suffer under now.

Goose boy is a Union follower...give it as much attention as it deserves...

No, that's the simple truth.

No. Ideology is a worldview. Not truth. Truth is what I posted earlier when it comes to ships. But that gets ignored for ideological reasons.

So, you believe it's impossible for any world view to be accurate?

Ideas are right or they are wrong. You just said they are all wrong.

One thing I know: your ideas are wrong, especially that one.

The gas prices are skyrocketting and they are criticizing efforts to drill for more oil??? Is there no sanity on this planet?

We can't drill for our own oil, thereby providing jobs for our people and increasing the supply to drive prices down. But we can just give money to foreign companies to do it offshore in more dangerous places

yeah 11 or so jobs per drilling rig?

And on BP exploded rig how many were Americans?

How many undrilled oil leases do we have now?

Should oil companies drill leases or tuen them over to someone who will?

not just 11. You also have to factor in onshore jobs as well, and if it would create "towns" and business.

It wouldnt be huge, but it would be there.

And offshore jobs as well as in other countries where most of the deepwater drilling rigs are made?
And I notice you ignored the rest of my points.

Yeah, honey. You're so damned complex, and I have short-term amnesia, so I have no idea what your worldview might entail or what ideals and policies you espouse. You keep telling yourself that. :cuckoo:

I'm sure you think "nothing is added to the conversation" by pointing out how utterly unrealistic the basis of liberalism is, because that precludes you from demanding that your bullshit be treated like sensible, rational behavior, instead of the childish insanity that it so often is.

I'm equally sure that you somehow think "espousing my ideology" is both different from what everyone else does, and somehow worthless simply because it's not an ideology that you like. However, by rejecting an opinion simply because it IS an opinion - and not one you like - you are merely espousing YOUR ideology. And as you just told us, that adds nothing to the conversation. :eusa_angel:

I repeat: leftist policies are based on an assumption that enough government intervention can make life completely safe and prevent anything bad from happening. Agree or disagree, but don't try to pretend that discussing the worldview underlying the behavior is somehow an invalid topic.

Actually, I think the posts that you and Rdean make are both equally worthless. So no worries that I don't like you because of your ideology. :thup:

I also never said your ideology was worthless however. I merely pointed out that your posts were adding nothing to the conversation. Never mind the fact that you're ignorant about the terminology you're using. What you seem to be referring to is Social Liberalism. There is also Classical Liberalism, which is what the majority of "Conservatives" in the United States fall under. To say that Liberalism is "utterly unrealistic" undermines your own argument.

So if you're going to try and "educate" others about why a certain ideology is wrong or right, you might actually want to make sure you know what you're talking about.

So, you believe it's impossible for any world view to be accurate?

Ideas are right or they are wrong. You just said they are all wrong.

One thing I know: your ideas are wrong, especially that one.

There is a difference between truths and worldviews. I never said anything about accuracy. Worldviews are debatable, truths are not. Cecilie is using her worldview as if it were a truth.

I also never said that all ideas are wrong. You seem to be confusing the concept of what a truth is.

Obama thinks he can blame it on those sinister oil corporations. he's been blaming all his fiascoes on Bush for the past 2 1/2 years. What makes you think he's going to accept the blame for high gas prices?

You can read President Obama's mind? What a useful trick that must be! Though I'm sure you can provide me with evidence that President Obama wants high gas prices.

He has banned offshore drilling. He said he approved of higher gas prices, but he "would have preferred a gradual adjustment."

Seven Chu, Obama's energy secretary said the following in 2008:

"Somehow we have to figure out how to boost the price of gasoline to the levels in Europe"

Obama yanked Shell Oil's permit to drill the arctic ocean after they invested $2 billion.

If a president didn't want higher gas prices, he would do exactly the opposite of what Obama and his drones have been doing.

There is a difference between truths and worldviews. I never said anything about accuracy. Worldviews are debatable, truths are not. Cecilie is using her worldview as if it were a truth.

I also never said that all ideas are wrong. You seem to be confusing the concept of what a truth is.

Truth is debated all the time. The theory of evolution has been debated for over a century. The theory of continental drift was debated for decades. The cause of the extinction of the dinosaurs is still debated.

Almost any claim about reality is a subject for debate, and a world view is just another claim about reality.

Your attempt to make a distinction between them is idiotic.

He has banned offshore drilling. He said he approved of higher gas prices, but he "would have preferred a gradual adjustment."

Seven Chu, Obama's energy secretary said the following in 2008:

"Somehow we have to figure out how to boost the price of gasoline to the levels in Europe"

Obama yanked Shell Oil's permit to drill the arctic ocean after they invested $2 billion.

If a president didn't want higher gas prices, he would do exactly the opposite of what Obama and his drones have been doing.

Except you're making the assumption that being against offshore drilling is being for higher gas prices. That's a poor assumption to make. That's like a moron saying that someone who is against gun control is for children to be killed by guns.

Furthermore, Mr. Chu's position is not the position that President Obama holds.

From December 2008:

Obama Energy Pick Backs Higher Gas Tax - The Note

ABC News' Teddy Davis Reports: Barack Obama's pick for Department of Energy secretary backs higher gasoline taxes, a position which puts him at odds with the president-elect.

Chu is not alone among energy experts in thinking that higher gasoline taxes could tamp down demand and spur development in alternative energies.

Raising the federal gasoline tax, however, has been dismissed by Obama.

President Obama also had nothing to do with Shell's permit revoked.

Offshore Drilling - Shell Oil Offshore Drilling in Alaska - Shell Suspends Plans to Drill Offshore in Alaskan Arctic

Federal Ruling Halts Plans for Offshore Oil Drilling in Arctic
Attorneys for Alaska natives and conservation groups in January successfully challenged the clean-air permits the Environmental Protection Agency had granted Shell for exploratory drilling off the coast of Alaska. The federal Environmental Appeals Board ruled that the EPA's analysis of the effect on native communities of nitrogen dioxide emissions from the ships used in offshore drilling was too limited. The board ordered the EPA to redo its evaluation.

“Shell’s announcement will protect the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge shoreline from potential damage,” Chuck Clusen, director of Alaska projects at the Natural Resources Defense Council, said in a statement today. “Now the government can proceed with full environmental impact statements on the company’s permit to drill.”

In fact, the so-called "evil" EPA had granted the permits in the first place.

So on all three major points you made in your post, you were dead wrong on all three. Batting a nice .000 so far.

Want to keep going?

She's the first person since Reagan to withstand a 24/7/365 LMSM barrage and come out the other side laughing at them

If she chooses to run, she will will win the nomination.

She will demolish Obama in the debates, he will make a few stupid jokes

All the substance is against the Progressive Jihah (Deficits, Debt, unemployment), she will win all of the 57 states Obama visited in his 08 Campaign.

If she decides to run she's the next POTUS.

She's a quitter.

...he says as he totally IGNORES why she left her Governorship...

*Morons Abound*...and that would include you.

What was her reason? Alaska being too corrupt right? Name me one better position/job in the whole entire state of Alaska where one could make changes to the political climate than the governor. Name ONE.

She's a quitter.

What was her reason? Alaska being too corrupt right? Name me one better position/job in the whole entire state of Alaska where one could make changes to the political climate than the governor. Name ONE.

Can't. Hers were personal. If you wanna really KNOW...EMAIL her and ASK her.

You want me to SEARCH for you her E-Mail addy as a typical LIB would expect...or will you MAN UP and do it yourself?

You want me to SEARCH for you her E-Mail addy as a typical LIB would expect...or will you MAN UP and do it yourself?

-I'm not a lib. I've only voted for 1 democrat in my entire life-so nice try.
-If you have to resort to personal attacks to make your point-it says more about yours than it does mine. If you want people to take you seriously, act like a mature, and reasonable adult.

AND here's part of her quote when she resigned:

"As I thought about this announcement that I would not seek reelection, I thought about how much fun other governors have as lame ducks: They maybe travel around their state, travel to other states, maybe take their overseas international trade missions," she said.

"I'm not going to put Alaskans through that," she continued. "I promised efficiencies and effectiveness. That's not how I'm wired. I'm not wired to operate under the same old politics as usual."

Sarah Palin to Resign as Alaska Governor, Citing Probes and Family Needs - washingtonpost.com

So she's saying she doesn't want to be a lame duck, and that she promised efficiencies and effectiveness. So instead of trying to uphold the responsibilities she assumed when she ran for office, and the people of Alaska voted her in to do-she quit.

Once again I ask, name me ONE position/job in Alaska to make a difference for the people of the state than governor.

Except you're making the assumption that being against offshore drilling is being for higher gas prices. That's a poor assumption to make. That's like a moron saying that someone who is against gun control is for children to be killed by guns.

From December 2008:

ABC News' Teddy Davis Reports: Barack Obama's pick for Department of Energy secretary backs higher gasoline taxes, a position which puts him at odds with the president-elect.

Chu is not alone among energy experts in thinking that higher gasoline taxes could tamp down demand and spur development in alternative energies.

The only one who claims Obama doesn't favor higher gasoline prices is the reporter, Ted Davis Roberts. Nowhere does he quote Obama saying he is opposed to higher gasoline prices. Furthermore, Obama and his energy secretary have both said they support higher gasoline prices. The accusation isn't based solely on his policy of denying all permits to drill offshore.

Obama has said he supports higher prices for gasoline, and he is pursuing a policy that will produce the desired results. It's virtually impossible for anyone who isn't suffering from brain damage to believe he doesn't want higher gas prices.

Offshore Drilling - Shell Oil Offshore Drilling in Alaska - Shell Suspends Plans to Drill Offshore in Alaskan Arctic

Attorneys for Alaska natives and conservation groups in January successfully challenged the clean-air permits the Environmental Protection Agency had granted Shell for exploratory drilling off the coast of Alaska. The federal Environmental Appeals Board ruled that the EPA's analysis of the effect on native communities of nitrogen dioxide emissions from the ships used in offshore drilling was too limited. The board ordered the EPA to redo its evaluation.

“Shell’s announcement will protect the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge shoreline from potential damage,” Chuck Clusen, director of Alaska projects at the Natural Resources Defense Council, said in a statement today. “Now the government can proceed with full environmental impact statements on the company’s permit to drill.”

So on all three major points you made in your post, you were dead wrong on all three. Batting a nice .000 so far.

Want to keep going?

The Environmental Appeal Board is an arm of the EPA. So the EPA ruled against itself. The claim that Obama isn't responsible for what the EPA does simply doesn't pass the laugh test. Obama could can everyone on the so-called Environmental Appeal Board tomorrow if he wanted to.

Liberal gullibility truly is astounding!

From December 2008:

The only one who claims Obama doesn't favor higher gasoline prices is the reporter, Ted Davis Roberts. Nowhere does he quote Obama saying he is opposed to higher gasoline prices. Furthermore, Obama and his energy secretary have both said they support higher gasoline prices. The accusation isn't based solely on his policy of denying all permits to drill offshore.

Obama has said he supports higher prices for gasoline, and he is pursuing a policy that will produce the desired results. It's virtually impossible for anyone who isn't suffering from brain damage to believe he doesn't want higher gas prices.

Want to keep going?

The Environmental Appeal Board is an arm of the EPA. So the EPA ruled against itself. The claim that Obama isn't responsible for what the EPA does simply doesn't pass the laugh test. Obama could can everyone on the so-called Environmental Appeal Board tomorrow if he wanted to.

Liberal gullibility truly is astounding!

Seeing as though the EPA answers directly to the POTUS...

-I'm not a lib. I've only voted for 1 democrat in my entire life-so nice try.
-If you have to resort to personal attacks to make your point-it says more about yours than it does mine. If you want people to take you seriously, act like a mature, and reasonable adult.

AND here's part of her quote when she resigned:

"As I thought about this announcement that I would not seek reelection, I thought about how much fun other governors have as lame ducks: They maybe travel around their state, travel to other states, maybe take their overseas international trade missions," she said.

"I'm not going to put Alaskans through that," she continued. "I promised efficiencies and effectiveness. That's not how I'm wired. I'm not wired to operate under the same old politics as usual."

Sarah Palin to Resign as Alaska Governor, Citing Probes and Family Needs - washingtonpost.com

So she's saying she doesn't want to be a lame duck, and that she promised efficiencies and effectiveness. So instead of trying to uphold the responsibilities she assumed when she ran for office, and the people of Alaska voted her in to do-she quit.

Once again I ask, name me ONE position/job in Alaska to make a difference for the people of the state than governor.

FROM YOUR OWN LINK:

Gov. Palin Says She Will Quit, Citing Probes, Family Needs

/Discussion.

Forum List

Back