• French

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Spanish

Votes: 10 76.9%

• Total voters

Kevin_Kennedy

Defend Liberty
Aug 27, 2008
I've got to choose a language to study at college, and I'm debating between Spanish and French. I've already taken Spanish in high school and I can say that I was terrible at it then, and don't remember any of it now. So which language would you, my friends at USMB, choose to study? Spanish or French? Please include why you would choose this language as well. :razz:

Had to take French in Jr. High (way back in the day!), and, of course, they didn't bother with teaching it -- just some damned conversational crap, which is ever so useful in the U. S.

Spanish all through H. S., the basics of which I can recall well enough to get a point across in a heavily Hispanic populated area.

Now, answer this. When was the last time you heard "Press 3 for French"?

I too took French in Middle School, ah the 'romance language.' ;) Really never got to use it and for the most part still can only read a few words. Took Spanish in hs & college, because of my hearing, never could speak it well, but still can struggle through reading Spanish and get the gist of what is written.

Take a serious look at the immigration into this country. Most of it is people that speak spanish, not french. For that reason I suggest spanish.

Take a serious look at the immigration into this country. Most of it is people that speak spanish, not french. For that reason I suggest spanish.

Yup, unless you have a burning desire to do some international work where French may be spoken, Spanish is the wise choice in the US. I think we should begin teaching Spanish in 1st through 8th grade alongside English.

Yup, unless you have a burning desire to do some international work where French may be spoken, Spanish is the wise choice in the US. I think we should begin teaching Spanish in 1st through 8th grade alongside English.

I actually disagree with that idea. I think school should be taught in english only except for foreign language classes that should be electives.

I actually disagree with that idea. I think school should be taught in english only except for foreign language classes that should be electives.

And that IGNORES the fact that by 2050 the country may be Majority Hispanic. We should be preparing for that NOW not later.

Further it is a wise idea because of the number of legal immigrants that speak the language and because I do not ever see this Government kicking the illegals out.

Japan, Germany and possibly other countries teach 8 years of English to their young, We would be wise to teach Spanish as a LANGUAGE.

Notice I do not say we should teach other subjects in Spanish?

wanna get laid...take french.....after french you will be able to pick up some spanish....but i would take french...if you really wanted to have a skill take japanese or a general chinese....

And that IGNORES the fact that by 2050 the country may be Majority Hispanic. We should be preparing for that NOW not later.

Further it is a wise idea because of the number of legal immigrants that speak the language and because I do not ever see this Government kicking the illegals out.

Japan, Germany and possibly other countries teach 8 years of English to their young, We would be wise to teach Spanish as a LANGUAGE.

If that is your argument, then we should teach chinese, since that is the most populous language on the planet. (Yeah, yeah, I know, there are various dialects)

If that is your argument, then we should teach chinese, since that is the most populous language on the planet. (Yeah, yeah, I know, there are various dialects)

Ya cause by 2050 the MAJORITY in the US will be Chinese? I don't think so. Once again for the obtuse slow and criminally dumb. This Country is going to have HALF plus of the Country speaking Spanish by 2050. The children NOW should learn it from 1st grade so that they can communicate with their NEIGHBORS inside their own TOWNS and CITIES and the BUSINESS they go to to BUY or WORK at.

And of course using your logic, the Germans and the Japanese should learn Chinese rather then English. Of course that ignores the fact that they learn English because world wide Business involve a very large number of people that speak English.

Ya cause by 2050 the MAJORITY in the US will be Chinese? I don't think so. Once again for the obtuse slow and criminally dumb. This Country is going to have HALF plus of the Country speaking Spanish by 2050. The children NOW should learn it from 1st grade so that they can communicate with their NEIGHBORS inside their own TOWNS and CITIES and the BUSINESS they go to to BUY or WORK at.

And of course using your logic, the Germans and the Japanese should learn Chinese rather then English. Of course that ignores the fact that they learn English because world wide Business involve a very large number of people that speak English.
Go back and look at my post about which language he should take, I said spanish, remember?
My reasoning was because of the huge spanish speaking immigration. One thing you need to realize though, despite the number of hispanic people that will be in this country in 40 years, that doesn't mean they will all speak spanish. I know a lot of 3rd generation mexicans that don't speak spanish. Just in case you didn't know, it only takes 3 generations for ones native tongue to be lost and the vast majority of hispanics in this country are 3rd generation or more.

Neither.

If you want to talk to a bunch of Spanish immigrants who refuse to learn English that's fine but really as far as usefulness in a career you would be better off learning Chinese

Neither.

If you want to talk to a bunch of Spanish immigrants who refuse to learn English that's fine but really as far as usefulness in a career you would be better off learning Chinese

Wow, you must be just as "criminally obtuse" as I am.

lol. I'm waiting for people to call me a racist next.

But seriously, when deciding what language you wish to learn to further your career you have to ask yourself, "Who that speaks only ________ do I wish to talk to and how will learning ________ advance my personal and professional life?"

Neither.

But seriously, when deciding what language you wish to learn to further your career you have to ask yourself, "Who that speaks only ________ do I wish to talk to and how will learning ________ advance my personal and professional life?"

I'm guessing that Farsi isn't the right word to put into those blanks. :lol:

When traveling on an airplane (business or pleasure) I've ended up being seated next to somebody who's native language was chinese far more often somebody who's native language was spanish.

I'm guessing that Farsi isn't the right word to put into those blanks. :lol:

When traveling on an airplane (business or pleasure) I've ended up being seated next to somebody who's native language was chinese far more often somebody who's native language was spanish.

Actually Farsi would be a career enhancing move in a lot of sectors, intelligence and Military being the most obvious. But includes law firms, businesses and large Corporations.

I've got to choose a language to study at college, and I'm debating between Spanish and French. I've already taken Spanish in high school and I can say that I was terrible at it then, and don't remember any of it now. So which language would you, my friends at USMB, choose to study? Spanish or French? Please include why you would choose this language as well. :razz:

What are you doing after college?

Take Spanish. French is a pain in the ass. I speak Spanish, so I'll [finally] be taking French next year, but it's basically because I'm living in a french-speaking city and many of the places I could work in in the future [I'm doing an international development/economics major] are French-Speaking. And also because well, once you're fluent in a romance language the others are a breeze. With English and Spanish, I've already got like half of the french vocabulary with a slightly different spelling. :)

Anyway, like everyone else said here, Spanish is just more useful in the Americas, because the majority of us speak Spanish. I guess I can't really objectively say which one is easier to learn, but Spanish is just cooler, IMO :lol:

Spanish. I took both languages in school. I have yet to use the French. I use the Spanish every day. Needless to say, I'm pretty good at Spanish and remember about 2 words of French.

If you can learn to speak, read and write English, you can learn Spanish.

Forum List

Back