Which Political View Runs Government Schools?

Yup.....Progressives....Liberals....Democrats.

And now for the results of indoctrination rather than education:

1. "Across the Board, Scores Drop in Math and Reading for U.S. Students
The latest results from the Nation’s Report Card show declines in student performance across demographics.

2. MATH AND READING SCORES for fourth- and eighth-graders in the United States dropped since 2017, and the decrease in reading achievement has government researchers particularly concerned.

3. "Over the past decade, there has been no progress in either mathematics or reading performance, and the lowest performing students are doing worse," Peggy Carr, associate commissioner of the National Center for Education Statistics, said during a press call Tuesday.

4. ...declines in reading at both grades were also seen at all levels of achievement, whether students were high- or low-achieving, with the exception of the highest achieving fourth graders.

5. "Over the long term in reading, the lowest performing students – those readers who struggle the most – have made no progress from the first NAEP administration almost 30 years ago," she said.

6. ...the scores of lower performing students declined in three of the four grade-subject combinations and those drops are what accounted for the overall drop in average scores."

https://www.usnews.com/news/educati...ores-drop-in-math-and-reading-for-us-students

It is not the students, the sub-groups, the color, the wealth.....

.....it is the political perspective that owns and operates the schools.

I am all for improving public schools while at the same time I respect a persons right to send their kids to private schools.

I OPPOSE destroying the public education system.

The Public School system should have the same power of Choice that private schools have.

Public schools are supported by tax payers. If private schools accepted vouchers, they too would need to provide desks for all tax payer's children within the dist.

Even those children who assault others and make education impossible?

Exactly the sort of demand from those who have destroyed the American educational system.

BTW....
I'm a taxpayer, but as a homeschooler, get no deduction for not using the system.

The latest results from the Nation’s Report Card show declines in student performance across demographics.

2. MATH AND READING SCORES for fourth- and eighth-graders in the United States dropped since 2017, and the decrease in reading achievement has government researchers particularly concerned.

3. "Over the past decade, there has been no progress in either mathematics or reading performance, and the lowest performing students are doing worse," Peggy Carr, associate commissioner of the National Center for Education Statistics, said during a press call Tuesday.

4. ...declines in reading at both grades were also seen at all levels of achievement, whether students were high- or low-achieving, with the exception of the highest achieving fourth graders.

5. "Over the long term in reading, the lowest performing students – those readers who struggle the most – have made no progress from the first NAEP administration almost 30 years ago," she said.

6. ...the scores of lower performing students declined in three of the four grade-subject combinations and those drops are what accounted for the overall drop in average scores."

https://www.usnews.com/news/educati...ores-drop-in-math-and-reading-for-us-students

I am all for improving public schools while at the same time I respect a persons right to send their kids to private schools.

The Public School system should have the same power of Choice that private schools have.

Public schools are supported by tax payers. If private schools accepted vouchers, they too would need to provide desks for all tax payer's children within the dist.
Not talking vouchers....talking about Public Schools having the same Choice that private schools have.

I understood that. Tax payer's who have children who are 'special', or have behavioral issues must be served by the public school system within the dist. where the parents pay taxes, unless the child is expelled.

Where is any recommendation of 'destroying' public education.

Simply make certain that Progressives....Liberals....Democrats are not able to dictate how education is accomplished.

Good plan?
And.....how do you do that, Comrade?

So simple, even you should be able to comprehend:

Abandon the influence of communists like John Dewey, and communist Paulo Freire, and mandate the doctrines of E.D.Hirsch.

Real education involves discipline, and accountability....both from students and teachers.
The student must have a base of knowledge.

Here's proof it works:

1 . The “Massachusetts miracle,” in which Bay State students’ soaring test scores broke records, was the direct consequence of the state legislature’s passage of the 1993 Education Reform Act, which established knowledge-based standards for all grades and a rigorous testing system linked to the new standards. And those standards, Massachusetts reformers have acknowledged, are Hirsch’s legacy.

2. In the new millennium, Massachusetts students have surged upward on the biennial National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP)—“the nation’s report card,” as education scholars call it.

On the 2005 NAEP tests, Massachusetts ranked first in the nation in fourth- and eighth-grade reading and fourth- and eighth-grade math. It then repeated the feat in 2007. No state had ever scored first in both grades and both subjects in a single year—let alone for two consecutive test cycles.

On another reliable test, the Trends in International Math and Science Studies, the state’s fourth-graders last year ranked second globally in science and third in math, while the eighth-graders tied for first in science and placed sixth in math. (States can volunteer, as Massachusetts did, to have their students compared with national averages.) The United States as a whole finished tenth.
E. D. Hirsch’s Curriculum for Democracy

Here's the central precept for actually educating students:

"Hirsch was also convinced that the problem of inadequate background knowledge began in the early grades. Elementary school teachers thus had to be more explicit about imparting such knowledge to students—indeed, this was even more important than teaching the “skills” of reading and writing, Hirsch believed. Hirsch’s insight contravened the conventional wisdom in the nation’s education schools: that teaching facts was unimportant, and that students instead should learn “how to” skills. …expanded the argument in a 1983 article, titled “Cultural Literacy,” in The American Scholar."

Not talking vouchers....talking about Public Schools having the same Choice that private schools have.

I understood that. Tax payer's who have children who are 'special', or have behavioral issues must be served by the public school system within the dist. where the parents pay taxes, unless the child is expelled.
If Public Schools HAVE to take troublesome children, they will never do as well as private schools that can pick and choose.

The very opposite, or you'd simply bring ruin to schools that work.

Schools should all have the ability to toss out unruly students.

Oh really? You know nothing. That's not a surprise at all.

This ^^^ is stupid as well as callous.

If Public Schools HAVE to take troublesome children, they will never do as well as private schools that can pick and choose.

What you suggest provides a subjective policy which allows for a discriminatory practice. I once had neighbors whose boys were both autistic. Would that be sufficient to deny them an education in a public school system to which their parents pay taxes?

What you suggest provides a subjective policy which allows for a discriminatory practice. I once had neighbors whose boys were both autistic. Would that be sufficient to deny them an education in a public school system to which their parents pay taxes?
Wait.....you say there are undesirable results if public schools get to use Choice just like private schools do? Who knew?????

Many public schools in the Bay Area have "small necessary schools" within the larger facility. It incorporates students with problems to be part of the social structure, and not create chaos in the regular academic experience.

Wait.....you say there are undesirable results if public schools get to use Choice just like private schools do? Who knew?????

I didn't say that. I expanded my comment with a concept in practice in CA where schools have small necessary schools.

Teachers there are trained to work with children who don't fit into the regular population and can be disruptive, or not able to keep up other students. Of course violent children will end up expelled; many will end up in juvenile halls, or placed in group homes. Some, when they are out of control in the parental home, or abused in that home can be placed in secure, but not necessarily locked facilities.

Revisit the Powell Memorandum love.

Oh really? You know nothing. That's not a surprise at all.

Once upon a time, I was amused that individuals like you, lazy, uninformed sorts who do no reading, no research, still stick to your ignorant opinion as though it was as valid as mine.

Now, I accept that you suffer from ossified ignorance.

This ^^^ is stupid as well as callous.

Put your Dinero where you put your dinner....let them come live with you.

In the mid 90's our school was looking for donations and held a meeting with VFW auxiliary and he listed their curriculum .
I got up and asked, all of that is Democratic ideology, where is the Republican ideology.
No answer.
I stood up and walked out.

In the mid 90's our school was looking for donations and held a meeting with VFW auxiliary and he listed their curriculum .
I got up and asked, all of that is Democratic ideology, where is the Republican ideology.
No answer.

You did what every Republican elected official should have done.

This is here government schooling comes from.....

"Pedagogy of the Oppressor

Another reason why U.S. ed schools are so awful: the ongoing influence of Brazilian Marxist Paulo Freire

Pedagogy of the Oppressor

1. At a recent meeting of the New York Teaching Fellows program (“Teach for America”: provides an alternate route to state certification for about 1,700 new teachers annually) , Sol Stern found the one book that the fellows had to read in full was Pedagogy of the Oppressed, by the Brazilian educator Paulo Freire.
This book has achieved near-iconic status in America’s teacher-training programs. In 2003, David Steiner and Susan Rozen published a study examining the curricula of 16 schools of education—14 of them among the top-ranked institutions in the country, according to U.S. News and World Report—and found that Pedagogy of the Oppressed was one of the most frequently assigned texts in their philosophy of education courses.

1. But rather than dealing with the education of children, Pedagogy of the Oppressed mentions none of the issues that troubled education reformers throughout the twentieth century: testing, standards, curriculum, the role of parents, how to organize schools, what subjects should be taught in various grades, how best to train teachers, the most effective way of teaching disadvantaged students. This ed-school bestseller is, instead, a utopian political tract calling for the overthrow of capitalist hegemony and the creation of classless societies.
  2. The pedagogical point of Freire’s thesis : its opposition to taxing students with any actual academic content, which Freire derides as “official knowledge” that serves to rationalize inequality within capitalist society. One of Freire’s most widely quoted metaphors dismisses teacher-directed instruction as a misguided “banking concept,” ...
This is why education in America is doomed.

You can see the ignorance is so many of the posts.

I gave a slide rule to a neighbors girl a few years ago thinking that the principle might interest her.
She could not grasp the concept that 2.1 could also represent 21, 210, 2,100 or 2,100,000.
She said Thank God for calculators!
When I was in school, you'd get thrown out for using a calculator! Now they NEED them!

Neo-Luddism is a term for people, very few, who oppose most forms of new technology.

No answer.

Expand on what you believe was D ideology vis a vis R ideology, please.

No answer.

Expand on what you believe was D ideology vis a vis R ideology, please.

The current difficulty our education system is facing is due to communists and neo-Marxists....Liberals and Progressives....being in control:
Democrat:
1. Control currently is by those who follow the communist John Dewey and the communist Paulo Freire, who never intends “pedagogy” to refer to any method of classroom instruction based on analysis and research, or to any means of producing higher academic achievement for students. [H]e relies on Marx’s standard formulation that “the class struggle necessarily leads to the dictatorship of the proletariat [and] this dictatorship only constitutes the transition to the abolition of all classes and to a classless society.” In one footnote, however, Freire does mention a society that has actually realized the “permanent liberation” he seeks: it “appears to be the fundamental aspect of Mao’s Cultural Revolution.”
City Journal

It isn't as though real reform isn't known,or available:
Republican:
2. The “Massachusetts miracle,” in which Bay State students’ soaring test scores broke records, was the direct consequence of the state legislature’s passage of the 1993 Education Reform Act, which established knowledge-based standards for all grades and a rigorous testing system linked to the new standards. And those standards, Massachusetts reformers have acknowledged, are Hirsch’s legacy.

In the new millennium, Massachusetts students have surged upward on the biennial National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP)—“the nation’s report card,” as education scholars call it. On the 2005 NAEP tests, Massachusetts ranked first in the nation in fourth- and eighth-grade reading and fourth- and eighth-grade math. It then repeated the feat in 2007. No state had ever scored first in both grades and both subjects in a single year—let alone for two consecutive test cycles. On another reliable test, the Trends in International Math and Science Studies, the state’s fourth-graders last year ranked second globally in science and third in math, while the eighth-graders tied for first in science and placed sixth in math. (States can volunteer, as Massachusetts did, to have their students compared with national averages.) The United States as a whole finished tenth. "
E. D. Hirsch’s Curriculum for Democracy

Will the Leftists be expunged from the system?

If they aren't.....America is finished.

"These horrible scores are reflected internationally, too, as the U.S. continues to slide in comparison to 15-year-old students of other nations. Accordingly, the U.S. ranks 35th in math, 25th in science, and 24th in reading. Singapore leads all countries in each category. Hong Kong follows. I doubt that these nations spend on education per pupil what the U.S. does. Asian culture might play a role here too. I know that will rub some liberal apologists the wrong way, but too bad. I care about our kids' prospects to reach their God-given potential.

According to the U.S. Census Bureau, we spend $648 billion a year on education. We are getting nearly no return on our investment. Yet, all we ever hear from school officials and education advocates is that we need to increase school spending. Why? So we can produce more kids who cannot read?"
There's An Educational Crisis in the US. Does Anybody Care?
interesting story

MATH AND READING SCORES for fourth- and eighth-graders in the United States dropped since 2017, and the decrease in reading achievement has government researchers particularly concerned.

yeah Trump became president that year

Washington, D.C., was the only place where students posted gains in three out of the four grade-subject combinations.

one of the most solid democrats places in the US.

includes a break-out of student achievement in 27 large urban school districts.

black, Hispanic, Native American and white students in fourth and eighth grades scored lower in reading in 2019 compared to 2017.

Still

"The assessment is designed to tell you what, not why," she added. "Why is something the data cannot tell you."

Yeah interesting story that records data but cannot tell you why

Still it was 4th and 8th graders in Math and Reading that they gathered data

Best States rankings by US News & World Report.

Based on the latest data, Massachusetts was found to have the best public schools in America. The state was ranked first in math and reading scores and within the top 10 for college readiness and preschool enrollment. The state did, however, just rank 13th in terms of high school graduation rates.

New Jersey, New Hampshire were rated next

A more likely reason is access to media via phones, video games and cable

The top 10 states in terms of the best public schools based on this list are:

mostly democratic and liberal

Still you can guess which states consistently ranted in the lower tier

And another brilliant mind attempting to spin the truth.

The scores cover fourth through eighth grades, moron.

And....."no progress from the first NAEP administration almost 30 years ago," she said.

You must be a government school grad, huh?

The Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, or OECD, has made a list of the world’s most educated countries

The top 10 most educated nations based on this study are:

drum roll

I do notice that you do like to scream a lot when you run out of the room but relax the US is doing well in education

Singapore is not threat

The number you think are meaningful can be easily manipulated by number of people. Poor VS Rich and variety of factors that you don't bother to look at but just jump to conclusions

Why is Japan number one.

Manners before knowledge. In Japanese schools, the students don’t take any exams until they reach the age of 10. They just take small tests. It is believed that the goal for the first 3 years of school is not to judge the child’s knowledge or learning, but to establish good manners and to develop their character.

different than in the the US

The students clean their school themselves. They work in teams and help each other even in menial tasks

Almost all junior high schools require their students to wear school uniforms.

Does it make a difference it seems to

Why is Israel number 2 well that is also another story

Moron well when look in the mirror that is not what I see but hey look in the mirror and tell us what you see

You must be a government school grad, huh?

Well I graduate from something but that is irrelevant

try to focus on your points instead of sticking your tongue out and blaming others

Forum List

Back