Where should stimulus money go?

?

• Simply to white construction workers and skilled workers

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Not simply to white construction workers and skilled workers

Votes: 9 69.2%

• Total voters
Yeah, because it would be GREAT for the economy in the long term, if we just added another couple hundred billion dollars to the system so people could continue spending it on CRAP.

At this point, I think people have enough TRINKETS. It's time to start SAVING again, and investing wisely. Picking out the less fortunate, not so highly skilled workers means the money is going to be spent on beer, weed and other drugs, and any other ridiculous bullshit you can think of.

What Reich and Rangel said was a waste of breath. The contruction industry has their way of assigning manpower, and it works just fine. We didn't need some government buffoons who've probably never even HELD a shovel, delegating how manpower is assigned on a construction job...LEAST of all, by way of RACE. :rolleyes:

It's not about who "deserves" the work, it's about who can perform it efficiently, SAFELY, and adequately. That's really all that matters. That will ultimately INCLUDE people who have been out of work, and who are less skilled. There's a hierarchy, and jobs need machinery operators all the way down to the lowly ditch digger. Everyone's going to get some work out of this.
You are still not getting the point, but I can see it is quite likely that you never will.

One last time: In order to STIMULATE the economy the money needs to go to people that will SPEND it, not SAVE it.

A discussion on the merits of stimulating the economy is best left for a different thread. My question applies to a "fait accompli."

I'm fucking getting it Rav. YOU aren't, I guess.

If you go assigning manpower based on who's going to ultimately waste their paychecks, you're playing with fire. You want your bridge to collapse because the workers were unskilled, but chosen because they'd spend their check on a fucking plasma TV??

You're an idiot if you think that's how these jobs should be manned. You're also an idiot if you think it's in the economy's best interest to add hundreds of billions of dollars of new money so people will keep wasting it some more, like they ALWAYS do in this country.

You build an economy on savings, not on superficial spending. We're fucked right now because people can't manage their wallets. And you want to assign job manpower based on who will empty their wallets the most. :rolleyes: Proper savings and investment will ultimately lead to more spending. You can't have your miracle overnight.

You're a fucking dumbass in this case Rav, I'm sorry. It needs to be said.
LOL! Again, even though it insults you, you are allowing your opinion to be formed by idiots like Rush. No one has said give skilled jobs to the unskilled. What was said that stimulus money should not only go to the skilled workers, it should go to everyone that has been hurt by the economy.

You are still not getting the point, but I can see it is quite likely that you never will.

One last time: In order to STIMULATE the economy the money needs to go to people that will SPEND it, not SAVE it.

A discussion on the merits of stimulating the economy is best left for a different thread. My question applies to a "fait accompli."

If you go assigning manpower based on who's going to ultimately waste their paychecks, you're playing with fire. You want your bridge to collapse because the workers were unskilled, but chosen because they'd spend their check on a fucking plasma TV??

You're an idiot if you think that's how these jobs should be manned. You're also an idiot if you think it's in the economy's best interest to add hundreds of billions of dollars of new money so people will keep wasting it some more, like they ALWAYS do in this country.

You build an economy on savings, not on superficial spending. We're fucked right now because people can't manage their wallets. And you want to assign job manpower based on who will empty their wallets the most. :rolleyes: Proper savings and investment will ultimately lead to more spending. You can't have your miracle overnight.

LOL! Again, even though it insults you, you are allowing your opinion to be formed by idiots like Rush. No one has said give skilled jobs to the unskilled. What was said that stimulus money should not only go to the skilled workers, it should go to everyone that has been hurt by the economy.

Again, I don't listen to Rush and I have no clue what his opinion on this is. But you can keep using that if you want to, I don't mind. I mean, why stop now?

Wouldn't it be a foregone conclusion that the money would go to everyone? Who else would possibly be getting it? No matter what, politicians are going to be pocketing THEIRS. The backroom crony deals are going to happen once that money is distributed. Your local state and county government is going to take their share, and give contracts to their buddies. That's how it's always been done, and how it always WILL be done, until we get off our asses and do something about it. But we wont, so let's just assume it isn't going to stop NOW. That being the case, you probably ought to be more worried about that, then how jobs are going to be manned and who's going to spend it. Those jobs will be manned the way those kinds of jobs are ALWAYS manned. I'm not sure how else you think it could possibly go.

Hey, maybe when Pedro, Alejandro, and Chico are done paving your driveway, you could recommend them for a road project in your area :lol:

Including people who don't work at all ?

Including people who don't work at all ?

I'd probably rather see the government tell a capable male who's living off welfare that he needs to take a job because it's available. He can make $10/hr and be the jobsite grunt. Digging the holes, getting the coffee, etc. It's either that, in LIEU of the check, or he loses his benefit completely.

THAT would be a good way to get cheap labor, AND cut down the social handouts a bit.

Exactly, this poll is bogus and the economic problems wont be fixed this way anyways. People just need to suck it up. Things will suck for a while and then it will get better. It is better than blowing tons of our money through crappy government programs that are not needed. That wont solve anything!

Exactly, this poll is bogus and the economic problems wont be fixed this way anyways. People just need to suck it up. Things will suck for a while and then it will get better. It is better than blowing tons of our money through crappy government programs that are not needed. That wont solve anything!

Liberals don't have the testicular fortitude to tough out the bad times.

Everyone here benefitted from the good times. You made a lot of money, you flipped houses maybe, maybe you made a killing in the stock market. Or maybe you just benefitted by having a secure job that increased pay as the economy got better, or maybe your small business saw huge increases in sales, who knows. No matter what, you benefitted from the market in some way. Because of that, you also are responsible for sharing in the downturn, too. Just because maybe you weren't one of the idiots who took a bad loan and couldn't pay it back, doesn't mean you don't share in the collective responsibility the comes with living within this kind of market system.

If you can be free to reap all of the rewards of a healthy market, you can be just as free to share in the market's downturn.

I don't think it's so much that we can't stomach the bad times, rather we'd like to avoid the bullshit associated with some hypothetical free market that is more rhetoric than anything worthy of trusting our economic lives to. The assumption of a benevolent free market is just a half step lower than jewish gods creating everything in seven days on the Fucking Retarded Concept meter. When WSJ conservatives manage to stop making excuses for trade deficits that cripple OUR ability to compete with third world slave wage nations then perhaps the free market bulshit might sound more viable than a request for a cigarette right before a firing squad.

The stimulus package won't solve anything unless it can be recycled BACK into the US economy. Buying a flat screen TV won't accomplish this. Rather than check from the gov each citizen should be given a tax exemption of all domestic products and services consumed for a period of specific months. Thus, our LOCAL economy gets an injection rather than blown on some temporary gratification.

I don't think it's so much that we can't stomach the bad times, rather we'd like to avoid the bullshit associated with some hypothetical free market that is more rhetoric than anything worthy of trusting our economic lives to. The assumption of a benevolent free market is just a half step lower than jewish gods creating everything in seven days on the Fucking Retarded Concept meter. When WSJ conservatives manage to stop making excuses for trade deficits that cripple OUR ability to compete with third world slave wage nations then perhaps the free market bulshit might sound more viable than a request for a cigarette right before a firing squad.

The stimulus package won't solve anything unless it can be recycled BACK into the US economy. Buying a flat screen TV won't accomplish this. Rather than check from the gov each citizen should be given a tax exemption of all domestic products and services consumed for a period of specific months. Thus, our LOCAL economy gets an injection rather than blown on some temporary gratification.
WOW, thats actually not a bad idea, but the implimentation would be a nightmare

because it is a nightmare finding a domestic product.

not at all. In fact, it would SAVE money in having to print and process millions of stimulus checks.

Liberal ideas for a liberal America.

wouldn't have to be. Hell, this is the age of the internet. Potentially Qualifying America products could be listed easily. If anything, the most obvious item is a vehicle. free Marketers won't talk about trade deficits so this might be the last idea before full blown protectionism, which i'm all for, hits the streets.

hungry? Eat your import.

wouldn't have to be. Hell, this is the age of the internet. Potentially Qualifying America products could be listed easily. If anything, the most obvious item is a vehicle. free Marketers won't talk about trade deficits so this might be the last idea before full blown protectionism, which i'm all for, hits the streets.

hungry? Eat your import.
what car is fully domestic?
what TV is?

Last edited:

hungry? Eat your import.
what car is fully domestic?
what TV is?
Nothing but some veggies are totally domestic...and even then the pesticides probably include ingredients from China.

The answer is a simple three step program. First cut government spending (except security items). Then cut it some more. And then cut it more yet. I mean massive government reduction.

Then cut government regulations. All kinds of silly, wasteful regulations. Cut, cut cut.

Then cut taxes. Cut them broad and cut them deep. Cut them for everybody. Cut them for all corporations. But none of this nonsense tax credit welfare for those who don't pay taxes.

In other words reduce government and free consumers and corporations to invest and consume.

(Ummm... oh... was I sleeping? I dreamt that we were implementing a REAL capitalist system. Silly me... :redface:)

it's a sad state of affairs when you can't even figure out what a domestic product is. Atrophied domestic productions truly is the core of our failing economy.

it's a sad state of affairs when you can't even figure out what a domestic product is. Atrophied domestic productions truly is the core of our failing economy.

well --we export a lot of hides for leather but that might get us back on that ugly urine thread.

Taking the stimulus package as a fait accompli, where should the money go?

voila--I finally figured out where that package outta go

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rl_Llt1LtwU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rl_Llt1LtwU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

The problem is, I won't just buy an American product JUST because it's American. If I can get a product cheaper that happens to be from another country, I'm going to do it, because ultimately, I care most about my purchasing power. I want to maximize the value of my Dollar. So if we impose tariffs, and foreign goods that are typically superior to their American counterparts, such as cars, rise in price, people like me lose out. Now I have to pay MORE for a product that's still better than its crappy American counterpart.

That's taking the burden off the American companies to be more efficient, and instead passing the financial liability on to the consumer. They don't have to budget themselves better, and make more competent manufacturing and investment decisions, because they can rely on the tariffs to increase their business instead.

It's a bad policy, in my opinion. I don't blame the trade deficit on the lack of tariffs. I blame it on an increase in domestic taxes, and a lackluster attitude on the part of WAY too many corporate hierarchies.

The problem is, I won't just buy an American product JUST because it's American. If I can get a product cheaper that happens to be from another country, I'm going to do it, because ultimately, I care most about my purchasing power. I want to maximize the value of my Dollar. So if we impose tariffs, and foreign goods that are typically superior to their American counterparts, such as cars, rise in price, people like me lose out. Now I have to pay MORE for a product that's still better than its crappy American counterpart.

That's taking the burden off the American companies to be more efficient, and instead passing the financial liability on to the consumer. They don't have to budget themselves better, and make more competent manufacturing and investment decisions, because they can rely on the tariffs to increase their business instead.

It's a bad policy, in my opinion. I don't blame the trade deficit on the lack of tariffs. I blame it on an increase in domestic taxes, and a lackluster attitude on the part of WAY too many corporate hierarchies.

free traders tend to NEVER blame trade deficits on their own economic opinion no matter how many local businesses get to go out of business for the sake of cheap shit from a slave labor country. Domestic taxes are nothing more than an excuse to point at. this nation didn't erupt because capitalists are benevolent. If a free marketer wants to shit in his own house then he probably shouldn't wonder about the smell. As it is, the facade of free market theories is no more beneficial for the US than driving blindfolded helps a drunk driver on the highway. Sure, you can enjoy your freedom to fly down the road.. until you crash into someone and kill something.. in this case American production and the local economy that such is based on.

hungry? Eat your import.

well, the obamalama just signed a directive today putting more gov. regulation on the auto industry.. they are almost on the brink and he wants furthur regulation.. I got a Vespa, I don't give a crap what they do. Vespa she gets 77 miles per gallon.

Forum List

Back