Where has all the patriotism gone?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Semper Fi, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Semper Fi

Semper Fi VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +130
    Remember after 9/11 when the whole US stood in anger and vengence, united against the forces of terrorism? I certainly do, and unlike many people who call themselves Americans, that feeling has never left me. I'd like to tell everyone to fly a US flag in their yard, stand up and say the Pledge of Allegiance, and realize that the war you now call evil was the answer to your prayers five years ago. We're the inhabitants of the best damn country the earth has seen, so stand up and show your support instead of finding more to complain about. We patriots are slowly being replaced by government-persecuting pessimists. To everyone: relax and restore your pride in America. Thanks for reading. :usa:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. theim

theim Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +234
    I just typed up a long rant in reply to this, giving a fisking and going on about adherants to a certain political persuasion and their true feelings toward this country. But I deleted it. I saved it to Word for a later date though, I thought it was quite good. But it contained a near-lethal dose of cynicism, and I just couldn't bring myself to unleash it upon someone who's frank, undemanding, and if I may say "cute" love of his country managed to touch my black and frozen soul.

Hang onto that, and don't end up like me. In my early twenties and already rivalling Hobbes and Machiavelli in my dim veiw of humanity.

3. Bullypulpit

Bullypulpit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    In the aftermath of 9/11, the target was clear...Osama bin Laden, Al Qaeda and the Taliban regime which supported them in Afghanistan. Instead of finishing the job in Afghanistan, Dubbyuh launched an invasion into Iraq on flimsy, if not outright false, pretexts.

I support my country, and am proud of many of its accomplishments. But the current administration has besmirched the honor and good reputation of this country around the world. Dissent against the government is, after all, a patriotic act.

AS for "government-persecuting pessimists", just remember that "pessimist" is a term created by pollyanish optimists to describe realists.

4. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511

I was on board until the bushies wanted to sell port operations to A terrorist supporting nation. That's seriously deranged. How do YOU justify it in your own mind?

5. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    Just my opinion, but it seems to me that the United States of America is bigger than the current administration or the Clinton administration or any other administration you care to name. Patriotism is more than just dissent against the government; it is more than doing your duty as a citizen (whether as a member of the military or exercising your right to vote); it is more than mere nationalism. Patriotism encompasses the ideas of love of your country, of your culture and its people. It is a belief in the morality of the ideals of this country. It is the hope that things can be made "better"; that even though mistakes are made, we as a nation can learn from them and move forward. It is all that and more. I am not a grand public speaker and the words to express my thoughts on this matter are not coming to mind very easily; but I know that my concept of patriotism is manifest in my firm belief that this is indeed the best place on the globe to live, raise a family, and pursue life and happiness. I alos firmly believe that patriotism is a good thing and that it is still alive and well in this country.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  6. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I'm with him! :beer: :usa:

7. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    Good morning Bully!

8. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    This just seems to fit in here:

http://jewishworldreview.com/0306/lileks033006.php3

9. GotZoom

GotZoom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +366
    When we are the victim, it's easy for everyone to agree and unite.

However, when we are the agressor, there wil always be people who use that as a way to bash the President and those who agree with the President.

It's sad.

If everyone would agree on "One Nation" (under God or not), instead of party loyalty and finding ways to bring the other people down, I wonder how things would be.

10. Semper Fi

Semper Fi VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +130
    You all missed the point. The point is that things could definately be worse and it's not a shameful act to love and support your country.