When You See a Rich Person do you feel, anger, bitterness or jealousy?

I admit to getting feelings of envy.

But I don't hate them. I just either try harder or remind myself how much I already have.

I agree. Jealousy isn't the proper word. That's over people, envy is about stuff.

A long time ago (50 years) I heard stories in my family about siblings (my aunts and uncles) fighting over personal possessions when their parents died. Stuff like who gets the furniture, who gets the silverware, etc. There can be lasting feuds in a family over issues like this, feuds that a child learns about when he asks questions like why his aunt X isn't on speaking terms with his aunt Y.

Typically, affluent people keep a pretty low profile. People who are flashy and ostentatious are usually chronically insolvent (as with Donald Trump).

Sometimes I do feel anger, bitterness or jealousy and sometimes I don't.

In my world I rarely 'see' rich people. Plenty of people who are seemingly doing better than I am. Generally nice people so they don't ignite my ire.

At present, I am fighting 'unkind thoughts' about a particular conservative radio talk show host. It will pass---it has passed before. There is truth --some--to what he says and even if there is 'none' he has the right to say it.

I assume one of his principles is 'God helps those who help themselves'. Religion is not a topic he features in his daily lectures--he has mentioned it and I assume that he communicates with a Higher Power. He is philanthropic--has done much good anonymously I am certain of that. Supports those who assist others, etc.

I somewhat object to the inference that if I had done as he did that I, too, would have accumulated great wealth and be enjoying 'golden years' without any regrets.

I worked 'hard and long', utilized the talents and abilities I possessed, developed said talents and abilities --clearly not as well as I could/should have.

Yesterday, his last day before the trial run on 'being retired'--I heard him say,' You are either a maker or a taker.' Makers create jobs/private sector and the Takers include--those on the government dole, anyone who works/has worked for the government and anyone receiving payments of any kind from Social Security and related assistance.

That hurts. Why was I not told this when I was in high school? At that time --the 60's women with 'careers' were rare. I chose a stereotypical female career and that seemed 'good'/good enough.

To learn at this point in my life that I did something 'very wrong' and have actually been a 'parasite' on society for my entire life --that is something that doesn't sit well with me.

Bitter, yes. Envious--somewhat. Discouraged--greatly.

rich comes in many forms

rich comes in many forms
Indeed!

When my two sons were very little we didn't have a pile of money.
We owned a home, had a savings account, a stocked pantry and my children didn't go without. Well, cable, I refused to buy cable.

My youngest son asked me one day "Mommy, are we rich?"
I responded "Of course we are! I have the two most precious jewels in the world."

rich comes in many forms
Indeed!

We owned a home, had a savings account, a stocked pantry and my children didn't go without. Well, cable, I refused to buy cable.

I responded "Of course we are! I have the two most precious jewels in the world."

Back in ought-'95, Christmas was approaching and we were without. So I apologetically told the Mrs. that there wasn't going to be much of a holiday for us. She gleefully replied "we have each other and this beautiful little baby- who needs money?"

Last edited:
rich comes in many forms
Indeed!

Back in ought-'95, Christmas was approaching and we were without. So I apologetically told the Mrs. that there wasn't going to be much of a holiday for us. She gleefully replied "we have each other and this beautiful little baby- who needs money?"
Money can't buy happiness but it can sure make you more comfortable in your misery.

When I was a kid, we had no money and I mean nothing. My mom and dad rented a small house; we could never afford to buy a house and we never owned a car till I left home. We never went hunger but we never had money for vacations or any such luxuries but the thing was we never thought of ourselves as being poor. I remember my mom talking about the poor people down the street, but looking back, I don't think they were any worse off than we were.

When I went to New York City last spring we went to The Burger Joint which is in an upscale hotel. I stayed with my friend who I have known since kindergarten, and the two of us act like nerds when together. While in the bathroom we were giggling and just having a good time that night. Anyways, some trophy wife was probably visiting the posh bar came in and gave us a dirty look.
In that moment I felt sorry for her, she probably has never had that much fun in her life. Trying to be perfect is never fun. She may have a rich husband but she is probably constantly uncomfortable from constipation and needing to fart.

When I was a kid, we had no money and I mean nothing. My mom and dad rented a small house; we could never afford to buy a house and we never owned a car till I left home. We never went hunger but we never had money for vacations or any such luxuries but the thing was we never thought of ourselves as being poor. I remember my mom talking about the poor people down the street, but looking back, I don't think they were any worse off than we were.

I can relate to that. When my parents first started off, they rented an apartment, eventually moved on to a rented house after a few years.

Dad was a seasonal fisherman, some seasons good, some not so much.
Dad also hunted in the winter. Mom was excellent at growing and canning.
When Dad came home from a fishing trip, he always brought home fresh, unprocessed catch. Be it lobster, scallops, crab, fish(?). Mom would say "Wonder what the poor people are eating tonight".

Vacations consisted of going to my Mother's parent's farm or to my Father's parent's home. Both only a half day drive away. With a plethora of relatives our 'vacations' were always fun.

So, yeah, being 'rich' IS and can be, a state of mind.

btw, my Dad's first big purchase was a 1965 Mustang.

Attachments

• $1965-Ford-Mustang-Coupe-1.jpg
    $1965-Ford-Mustang-Coupe-1.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
To answer the OP's question it simply depends on the rich person. Bloomberg? Complete hate and ditto for the entire Bush family. Taking Alice Walton for example, I'd have no problem whatsoeverif somebody exterminated that murdering woman despite her shallow philanthropic endeavors.

When I went to New York City last spring we went to The Burger Joint which is in an upscale hotel. I stayed with my friend who I have known since kindergarten, and the two of us act like nerds when together. While in the bathroom we were giggling and just having a good time that night. Anyways, some trophy wife was probably visiting the posh bar came in and gave us a dirty look.
In that moment I felt sorry for her, she probably has never had that much fun in her life. Trying to be perfect is never fun. She may have a rich husband but she is probably constantly uncomfortable from constipation and needing to fart.

Agree with the bolded.

:lmao:

Stopped at probably constantly uncomfortable from constipation and needing to fart.

The one thing about wealth and poverty, is that it is completely relative to the time frame you live. Two hundred years ago, children would often go hunger because the family was short on food. Kids were sent to live with relatives till circumstances improved, yet these families might well not be considered poor. The measure of poverty was purely subjective.

Today we determine poverty not in subjective terms but rather relative to what other earn. So if you are in the bottom 10% of what other families earn, you are considered poor. In a hundred years from now when the GDP of the nation is much higher, the poor of that day would be considered quite well off today just as the poor today compared to a century ago would be considered well off.

To answer the OP's question it simply depends on the rich person. Bloomberg? Complete hate and ditto for the entire Bush family. Taking Alice Walton for example, I'd have no problem whatsoeverif somebody exterminated that murdering woman despite her shallow philanthropic endeavors.

I know several farmers and farming families. Some of them are the sincerest humble down-to-earth people, and some are so fucking drunk on crop and mailbox monies that they think they own you and the world around them.

Judgmental much?

Judgmental much?

First off the woman gave us a dirty look because we were laughing. So go troll someone else.
Second, you don't know women very well.

Judgmental much?

First off the woman gave us a dirty look because we were laughing. So go troll someone else.

Maybe that's how she looks at everyone. And you have no idea the extent of knowledge I have when it comes to females. I raised four daughters as a single Dad after their mother passed away and none of them are judgmental.

In my world I rarely 'see' rich people. Plenty of people who are seemingly doing better than I am. Generally nice people so they don't ignite my ire.

At present, I am fighting 'unkind thoughts' about a particular conservative radio talk show host. It will pass---it has passed before. There is truth --some--to what he says and even if there is 'none' he has the right to say it.

I assume one of his principles is 'God helps those who help themselves'. Religion is not a topic he features in his daily lectures--he has mentioned it and I assume that he communicates with a Higher Power. He is philanthropic--has done much good anonymously I am certain of that. Supports those who assist others, etc.

I somewhat object to the inference that if I had done as he did that I, too, would have accumulated great wealth and be enjoying 'golden years' without any regrets.

I worked 'hard and long', utilized the talents and abilities I possessed, developed said talents and abilities --clearly not as well as I could/should have.

Yesterday, his last day before the trial run on 'being retired'--I heard him say,' You are either a maker or a taker.' Makers create jobs/private sector and the Takers include--those on the government dole, anyone who works/has worked for the government and anyone receiving payments of any kind from Social Security and related assistance.

That hurts. Why was I not told this when I was in high school? At that time --the 60's women with 'careers' were rare. I chose a stereotypical female career and that seemed 'good'/good enough.

To learn at this point in my life that I did something 'very wrong' and have actually been a 'parasite' on society for my entire life --that is something that doesn't sit well with me.

I don't really feel anything, maybe a little jealous.

Judgmental much?

Maybe that's how she looks at everyone. And you have no idea the extent of knowledge I have when it comes to females. I raised four daughters as a single Dad after their mother passed away and none of them are judgmental.

Good for you.

The biggest net 'takers' are the rich and corporate America. For example, while collecting tens of billions in net (cash) profit, Walmart has taken hundreds of billions in tax dollars, but have displaced 1.4 jobs for each that was created. Walmart pays so low and not providing benefits to their employees causing a $1billion plus added to welfare rolls.

None of the tens of billions that Walmart collected are ever going back into the economy.

On the flip side; Social Security, food 'stamps', direct payments for housing etc., all enter the economy.

Forum List

Back