When you grew up and were no longer a child

Me mudder was devout in her religion.

A little backstory: she left her middle-class Park Ridge life for a man that swooned her. A man who was an 8th grade dropout with but a nickel in his pocket. Tech Sgt. Mr.H. my dad fresh out of the WWII in the ought- of 1944.

He gave her a promise that he ultimately fulfilled; To start himself in business within 2 years.

So my mom took the bait, and married then lived with this guy in a rented schoolhouse. No plumbing, no heat stave for a wood-burning stove.

Almost two years to that day, he hit it.14 years and 7 children later he was dead.

And now... you know... the REST of the story.

G'day!

All I want to say is that everything you experienced made you the fine man and father you are today...you are one class act, Mr. H.:smiliehug:

( For guys only). It could have been a traumatic personal incident like an accident or a tragedy such as a loved one or parent dying. It could have been in grade school or high school but more likely in young adulthood when you realized you were a man and no longer a child. For me it hit me like a shot on the the Parris Island grinder(slang for the parade drill field). I was a kid fresh out of High School who joined the Marines on a whim. I suddenly realized the con games I used on my parents and the latitude I could assume from school authorities was literally child's play. I was on my own for real and no lame excuses would substitute for being a man and taking responsibility.

This is what inspired me to say what I've said here. And for that I thank the OP. :thup:

( For guys only). It could have been a traumatic personal incident like an accident or a tragedy such as a loved one or parent dying. It could have been in grade school or high school but more likely in young adulthood when you realized you were a man and no longer a child. For me it hit me like a shot on the the Parris Island grinder(slang for the parade drill field). I was a kid fresh out of High School who joined the Marines on a whim. I suddenly realized the con games I used on my parents and the latitude I could assume from school authorities was literally child's play. I was on my own for real and no lame excuses would substitute for being a man and taking responsibility.

This is what inspired me to say what I've said here. And for that I thank the OP. :thup:

You are the bigger and better man by far.:thup:

okokokokokok...said in my best Pesci voice from Lethal Weapon. I had hubby read the thread.
He cussed. His was worse than what I typed.

He also said to tell you, Mr. H, that he feels your pain. He has 6 brothers (he was the seventh son of a seventh son) and 2 sisters. Life was hard. But he had both his parents although they were dirt poor and most of the time had to eat out of trash cans. He also never got new clothes...he was the youngest son so he got all the handmedowns from the eldest trickling on down so by the time he got them....they were pretty shot to hell and back. He won't eat anything with tobasco in it either...he said that is all they had one whole day between all of them to eat.
He said you done good.

So there. Guys only. Speaking thru the Missus.

Sharp on attack. You da man.

He may have been engaging in a bit of sarcasm. I dunno. Thought I knew him better, but let's let him speak.
He was complimenting your mother for not giving up on her children.

Injecting abortion into the dialogue was silly, though, since all of you were already born.

he was doing no such fucking thing and you know it. DO NOT fuck with me when I am this pissed.

Ya know I do not agree with the comment about his mother but I absolutely disagree with this post, you are nothing but a bully. You seem to think only your opinion or those that support your opinion should be allowed to voice it and you threatened retaliation if you do not get your way.

Grow the fuck up and stop being a bully.

He was complimenting your mother for not giving up on her children.

Injecting abortion into the dialogue was silly, though, since all of you were already born.

he was doing no such fucking thing and you know it. DO NOT fuck with me when I am this pissed.

Ya know I do not agree with the comment about his mother but I absolutely disagree with this post, you are nothing but a bully. You seem to think only your opinion or those that support your opinion should be allowed to voice it and you threatened retaliation if you do not get your way.

Grow the fuck up and stop being a bully.

he pissed me off. And so are you.

I have a short temper. I also threaten but usually get over whatever pisses me off. The only thing that is calming me right now is Mr. H's attitude about the whole thing. So stfu with your opinion on what I say. Sherry said the same thing. You gonna berate her too?
Probably not. Hypocrite. Fuck you.

And if I were a bully as you claim, I would have zapped YOU as well as Norwegan. I haven't. Pull your foot out of your mouth, tard.

And if I were a bully as you claim, I would have zapped YOU as well as Norwegan. I haven't. Pull your foot out of your mouth, tard.

So you did not order someone to shut up? Twice now. AND YOU DID NOT THREATEN THE FIRST POSTER WITH CONSEQUENCES IF YOU DID NOT GET YOUR WAY?

Last I checked this is a message board and you are not supreme leader. Not only are others entitled to their opinions but they also are entitled to post them.

Keep on bullying it suits you so well.

• Thanks
Reactions: NLT

This is whitehall's thread. And this pops my cork. 17-18 year old Marine? Fuck yeah.

So you did not order someone to shut up? Twice now. AND YOU DID NOT THREATEN THE FIRST POSTER WITH CONSEQUENCES IF YOU DID NOT GET YOUR WAY?

Last I checked this is a message board and you are not supreme leader. Not only are others entitled to their opinions but they also are entitled to post them.

Sherry! You and I better not talk about wanting to neg someone. Sarge will have a coronary.
Oops. Too late. I already neg'd whitehall for starting a thread, asking about deaths of a parent and what experiences guys had when they came into manhood then commenced to belittle what was shared. And yeah. I did threaten to neg him. And did. So? Whatcha gonna do? Waggle your finger at me?
I don't claim to be a leader, either. I know asshole when I see one. I see two in here so far. Don't like my opinion? Tough shit.

You two shut it. Geez. Focus already. whitehall has the podium.

Sherry! You and I better not talk about wanting to neg someone. Sarge will have a coronary.
Oops. Too late. I already neg'd whitehall for starting a thread, asking about deaths of a parent and what experiences guys had when they came into manhood then commenced to belittle what was shared. And yeah. I did threaten to neg him. And did. So? Whatcha gonna do? Waggle your finger at me?
I don't claim to be a leader, either. I know asshole when I see one. I see two in here so far. Don't like my opinion? Tough shit.

Look you mental case, I am not upset that you threatened to neg whitehall nor that you found his statement offensive, WHAT I AM UPSET about is your attack on another poster for the affront of posting their opinion in the thread. Your threat to them to silence them and your threat to me.

But I suspect you know that and are trying to change the content as to make you look better.

Forum List

Back