When you grew up and were no longer a child

whitehall

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2010
Western Va.
( For guys only). It could have been a traumatic personal incident like an accident or a tragedy such as a loved one or parent dying. It could have been in grade school or high school but more likely in young adulthood when you realized you were a man and no longer a child. For me it hit me like a shot on the the Parris Island grinder(slang for the parade drill field). I was a kid fresh out of High School who joined the Marines on a whim. I suddenly realized the con games I used on my parents and the latitude I could assume from school authorities was literally child's play. I was on my own for real and no lame excuses would substitute for being a man and taking responsibility.

You've heard it before but oh well... 1967:

Dad drops dead at 54 and leaves 45 year-old mum with 7 kids aged 3 to 17, along with thousands of dollars of debt and little to no income. She has two nervous breakdowns, one near fatal.

Three older brothers eventually leave home or get kicked out, so there I was the 14-year old male head of household left to care for my 3 younger siblings while mother battled a male-dominated world or ruthless sharks pressuring her to sell the family business. She sought strength and solace at the bottom of vodka and whiskey bottles. Got a job at 15 making $1.10/hr most of that going to buy groceries and clothes for the home front.

Fucking miserable abject poverty and endless hungry days and nights. And that ain't the half of it.

Fuck it. And fuck you for starting this thread LOL.

Dad drops dead at 54 and leaves 45 year-old mum with 7 kids aged 3 to 17, along with thousands of dollars of debt and little to no income. She has two nervous breakdowns, one near fatal.

Three older brothers eventually leave home or get kicked out, so there I was the 14-year old male head of household left to care for my 3 younger siblings while mother battled a male-dominated world or ruthless sharks pressuring her to sell the family business. She sought strength and solace at the bottom of vodka and whiskey bottles. Got a job at 15 making $1.10/hr most of that going to buy groceries and clothes for the home front.

Fucking miserable abject poverty and endless hungry days and nights. And that ain't the half of it.

Maybe you ought to give your mom a break and thank her for bringing you into this ungrateful harsh world when a coathanger would have relieved her of at least one more mouth to feed.

Maybe you ought to give your mom a break and thank her for bringing you into this ungrateful harsh world when a coathanger would have relieved her of at least one more mouth to feed.

You're a fucking dick. Mr. H. opens up making himself vulnerable, and even manages to end it with some humor, and you feel compelled to shit on him. I'm so tempted to break my no neg rule.

I told myself I would be very careful from now on negging someone. Whitehall just got zapped and I wish I had 15 more zapping to add to it.

No neg rule doesn't apply to this asshole. At least, not for me.

Mr. H.....:smiliehug:

( For guys only). It could have been a traumatic personal incident like an accident or a tragedy such as a loved one or parent dying. It could have been in grade school or high school but more likely in young adulthood when you realized you were a man and no longer a child. For me it hit me like a shot on the the Parris Island grinder(slang for the parade drill field). I was a kid fresh out of High School who joined the Marines on a whim. I suddenly realized the con games I used on my parents and the latitude I could assume from school authorities was literally child's play. I was on my own for real and no lame excuses would substitute for being a man and taking responsibility.

Bait thread. Fucktard. See ya in 48. Steam is coming out my ears right now.

Bait thread. Fucktard. See ya in 48. Steam is coming out my ears right now.

Yeah, he still has the mind of a child...well, more like a snot-nosed punk. Hard to believe he served in the military...what a disgrace he is to his gender. Now let's see if he attempts to salvage his honor and man up with a sincere apology. We'd best not hold our breath.;)

Well, he needs to not only apologize, he needs to take the wire hanger fucking shit out. Is this a fucking abortion thread? No?

Fucking motherfucker.

You're a fucking dick. Mr. H. opens up making himself vulnerable, and even manages to end it with some humor, and you feel compelled to shit on him. I'm so tempted to break my no neg rule.

He may have been engaging in a bit of sarcasm. I dunno. Thought I knew him better, but let's let him speak.

Im sorry. It really must have sucked having to deal with real life at such a young age.

maybe you could stay on your own topic of "when you became a man".... and man up and stop being such a dick.

He may have been engaging in a bit of sarcasm. I dunno. Thought I knew him better, but let's let him speak.
He was complimenting your mother for not giving up on her children.

Injecting abortion into the dialogue was silly, though, since all of you were already born.

Oh Mr. H., I'm a huge lover of sarcasm, and often engage in it myself...to me it was a dismissal of your experience with a "you need to be a man and not focus on the hardships because you could have been aborted". That's not sarcasm, that's seriously FITH.:cuckoo:

Injecting abortion into the dialogue was silly, though, since all of you were already born.

he was doing no such fucking thing and you know it. DO NOT fuck with me when I am this pissed.

Not sure why you feel motivated to speak for him, unless you're having a private exchange and truly know his intent...I'd back out though and quit trying to stir the pot when he's clearly come off as an offensive douche bag. A real man will fight his own battles, so scadattle.:D

Me mudder was devout in her religion.

A little backstory: she left her middle-class Park Ridge life for a man that swooned her. A man who was an 8th grade dropout with but a nickel in his pocket. Tech Sgt. Mr.H. my dad fresh out of the WWII in the ought- of 1944.

He gave her a promise that he ultimately fulfilled; To start himself in business within 2 years.

So my mom took the bait, and married then lived with this guy in a rented schoolhouse. No plumbing, no heat stave for a wood-burning stove.

Almost two years to that day, he hit it.14 years and 7 children later he was dead.

And now... you know... the REST of the story.

G'day!

Forum List

Back