When someone says they dont own a TV...,

..... Don't you just want to smack them?

TV is one of the greatest forms of communication. You have to be a real arrogant tool to not own one.

If someone tells you they only read books just respond " books ?? Pfffffttt.... I only read parchments!"

I fired my TV years ago. I did that because (a) I figured out that I can get anything I want over the internet except live sports and I already have to pay for that anyway; (b) it was costing a monthly fee and giving very little in return, and mostly (c) I understood that it's nothing more than a propaganda device designed to engineer a population of passive sloths to whom it can sell a slew of absolutely useless crap.

So I said "scram". Never regretted it either.

We'll you still have a tv . It's just the computer .

I don't think they're comparable, no. The computer does a hell of a lot more things (beyond this site and the internet in general), requires active participation rather than entirely passive, and even here provides two-way exchange rather than one way.

The passive hypnotic thing is a big one. Walk into a room where people are watching a TV and instead of being drawn to the screen, watch the watchers and observe what you see. A slew of zombies, sitting entirely passive like sponges, spreading their metaphorical legs of their brain for anything and everything the tube chooses to put in there. The screen dictates all senses --- all of those are turned off in the viewer. Screen dictates all. That's not a relationship I'm comfy with. Even if its entire objective were not to soften up the brain so it can sell useless crap, the whole passive-dictation thing gives me the creeps. Completely shuts down the imagination. That's not healthy.

That's why I've always said radio is an inherently superior medium. With an audio-only drama going on you can stay active, get things done, and the listener's imagination still has a chance to breathe and stay active, plugging in the missing senses of what the characters look like, what the scene looks like. Far better brain food.

Besides, the computer makes me money, every day. All the TV ever did was take it.
So you answer the questionnaires for nickles a day?

:lol: Nope, mostly tech stuff. And some selling.

TV is one of the greatest forms of communication. You have to be a real arrogant tool to not own one.

If someone tells you they only read books just respond " books ?? Pfffffttt.... I only read parchments!"
You just explained why all of your posts have the intellect of a 4 year old.

Timmy is 14 years-old, it's his bed time soon, Timmy don't forget to brush your teeth.

--- with that special chocolate toothpaste....

I fired my TV years ago. I did that because (a) I figured out that I can get anything I want over the internet except live sports and I already have to pay for that anyway; (b) it was costing a monthly fee and giving very little in return, and mostly (c) I understood that it's nothing more than a propaganda device designed to engineer a population of passive sloths to whom it can sell a slew of absolutely useless crap.

"I fired my TV years ago."

I have shot a television with my Glock 17, it was a very exciting happening for everyone, I also threw a TV out of a hotel window in San Francisco, that was also very exciting, but then the door knocked and the hotel manager appeared and I being absolutely charming had him within minutes eating from my hand.

We'll you still have a tv . It's just the computer .

I don't think they're comparable, no. The computer does a hell of a lot more things (beyond this site and the internet in general), requires active participation rather than entirely passive, and even here provides two-way exchange rather than one way.

The passive hypnotic thing is a big one. Walk into a room where people are watching a TV and instead of being drawn to the screen, watch the watchers and observe what you see. A slew of zombies, sitting entirely passive like sponges, spreading their metaphorical legs of their brain for anything and everything the tube chooses to put in there. The screen dictates all senses --- all of those are turned off in the viewer. Screen dictates all. That's not a relationship I'm comfy with. Even if its entire objective were not to soften up the brain so it can sell useless crap, the whole passive-dictation thing gives me the creeps. Completely shuts down the imagination. That's not healthy.

That's why I've always said radio is an inherently superior medium. With an audio-only drama going on you can stay active, get things done, and the listener's imagination still has a chance to breathe and stay active, plugging in the missing senses of what the characters look like, what the scene looks like. Far better brain food.

Besides, the computer makes me money, every day. All the TV ever did was take it.
So you answer the questionnaires for nickles a day?

:lol: Nope, mostly tech stuff. And some selling.
I know, I just wanted to throw that out there, since I've been infected with the web ad syndrome...My Mom sent me one of those ads when I was struggling during the recession....

You just explained why all of your posts have the intellect of a 4 year old.

Timmy is 14 years-old, it's his bed time soon, Timmy don't forget to brush your teeth.

--- with that special chocolate toothpaste....
Dirty Sanchez brand toothpaste?

I have shot a television with my Glock 17, it was a very exciting happening for everyone, I also threw a TV out of a hotel window in San Francisco, that was also very exciting, but then the door knocked and the hotel manager appeared and I being absolutely charming had him within minutes eating from my hand.

I think it would be cool to record a video of a person just standing there screaming --- then cue the video to the beginning and toss it out the window of a skyscraper. "aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh......"

"Only on pay per view"....

I think it would be cool to record a video of a person just standing there screaming --- then cue the video to the beginning and toss it out the window of a skyscraper. "aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh......"

"Only on pay per view"....

We need to do this, I'm up for throwing another TV out of a hotel window :smoke:

--- which reminds me of a joke (oh here we go....)

Lady walks in to Wells Fargo Bank. Says she wants to open an account with some cash. "Sure" says the clerk. "How much cash?"

"A hundred and seventy-five thousand dollars".

"Whoa -- in cash?"

"Yes".

"I'm going to have to take this upstairs. Would you come with me?" and they go in to the office of the bank President.

"Now" says the prez, "would you mind telling us where you got all this cash?"

"I make bets", says the customer.

"Bets? What kind of bets?"

"Well for instance", says the lady, "I'll bet you ten thousand dollars that your balls are square".

"That's absurd. My balls are not square".

"So is it a bet then?

"You're serious?" sez the Prez.

"Absolutely. Ten thousand dollars says your balls are square. Tomorrow morning, ten o'clock, we meet here and find out".

Bank President agrees. Next morning at the appointed time she shows up with an accomplice. "You don't mind if my lawyer is here as a witness, do you? It's a lot of money."

"No, you're right, it's fine" says Prez.

"Now" she says, "our bet is ten thousand dollars that your balls are square. Take down your pants so we can find out". He does and she begins to examine his obviously not-square balls.

The lawyer collapses into a heap, pounding on the floor, moaning "NO! NO!"

"What's his problem?" says the Prez.

"Pay no attention to him" says the lady. "I bet him a hundred thousand dollars that at ten o'clock this morning I'd have the Wells Fargo Bank President's balls in my hand".

rimshot.gif

--- which reminds me of a joke (oh here we go....)

Lady walks in to Wells Fargo Bank. Says she wants to open an account with some cash. "Sure" says the clerk. "How much cash?"

"A hundred and seventy-five thousand dollars".

"Whoa -- in cash?"

"Yes".

"I'm going to have to take this upstairs. Would you come with me?" and they go in to the office of the bank President.

"Now" says the prez, "would you mind telling us where you got all this cash?"

"I make bets", says the customer.

"Bets? What kind of bets?"

"Well for instance", says the lady, "I'll bet you ten thousand dollars that your balls are square".

"That's absurd. My balls are not square".

"So is it a bet then?

"You're serious?" sez the Prez.

"Absolutely. Ten thousand dollars says your balls are square. Tomorrow morning, ten o'clock, we meet here and find out".

Bank President agrees. Next morning at the appointed time she shows up with an accomplice. "You don't mind if my lawyer is here as a witness, do you? It's a lot of money."

"No, you're right, it's fine" says Prez.

"Now" she says, "our bet is ten thousand dollars that your balls are square. Take down your pants so we can find out". He does and she begins to examine his obviously not-square balls.

The lawyer collapses into a heap, pounding on the floor, moaning "NO! NO!"

"What's his problem?" says the Prez.

"Pay no attention to him" says the lady. "I bet him a hundred thousand dollars that at ten o'clock this morning I'd have the Wells Fargo Bank President's balls in my hand".

rimshot.gif

:lol:

This also is very cute :smile:

rimshot.gif

You can get your info over the internet, but it still looks fuking rad on a 65" screen.

TV isn't that great.
Mine are turned off most of the time because it's all crap.

We have a tv. We just cut the cable. 500 channels and nothing worthwhile to watch.

I have the most basic package available
I tend to DVR all the things I like then watch them in one or two sittings
Other than that I'll watch stuff on Hulu, Netflix or Amazon

We have a tv. We just cut the cable. 500 channels and nothing worthwhile to watch.

I have the most basic package available
I tend to DVR all the things I like then watch them in one or two sittings
Other than that I'll watch stuff on Hulu, Netflix or Amazon

We watch Netflix and Amazon. I go out to watch football. Much better life.

You can get your info over the internet, but it still looks fuking rad on a 65" screen.

65" or 6.5" makes no difference. That's a sales gimmick. Smaller screen comes closer, bigger screen hangs on the wall. Net balance -- it's a wash.

I've got a bigger monitor I'll sometimes put my baseball game on. Other times I'll just watch it on the laptop. No preference either way-- the area the eye sees is the same.

Kinda like the illusion that the moon looks bigger when it's rising on the horizon than it does directly overhead... yet if you stick your finger out and measure them both they're exactly the same.

65" or 6.5" makes no difference. That's a sales gimmick. Smaller screen comes closer, bigger screen hangs on the wall. Net balance -- it's a wash.

I've got a bigger monitor I'll sometimes put my baseball game on. Other times I'll just watch it on the laptop. No preference either way-- the area the eye sees is the same.

Kinda like the illusion that the moon looks bigger when it's rising on the horizon than it does directly overhead... yet if you stick your finger out and measure them both they're exactly the same.
When we go to see a movie and it's an action film, my wife and kids and I will sit about halfway back. But my 13 year old wants to sit as close to the screen as possible in an IMAX theater. It's funny to look down and see his head darting side to side because he's too close to see everything without moving his head constantly.

Different strokes for different folks.

For years when my son was small, I had an 11" b&w tv with a set of rabbit ears and it lived in the closet until it was time for a good movie or Charlie Brown's Christmas or whatever.
When cable came around and I bought a color tv (it was too big to keep in the closet), I remember how gobsmacked I was that Whoville was PINK!

Yea we know your ignorant ass don't read anything just get your talking points from Benny hill.

I actually don't know anyone who doesn't have one.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

a3d97d9e457b5f46d5210ee6cce8075a6de77e0b5b5f865a9ee8d53f3e15e311_1.jpg

Forum List

Back