When is the "N" word appropriate?

KMAN

Jul 9, 2008
Out of curiosity why are blacks allowed to say the "N" word but whites are not?

What about if you have a black Dad and a white Mom, is the son or daughter allowed to say it?

In November 2006 Jesse Jackson wanted to ban the "N" word. Yet, according to reports he used the N-word during a break in a TV interview where he criticized presidential candidate Barack Obama, Fox News confirmed Wednesday.

So I ask if Jesse Jackson is going back on his word then it must be ok to say that word, but how is it ok for?

Everyone's allowed to say it. Which country do you live in?

That's a tad disengenuous don't you think? Maybe you won't get put in jail for using it, but just try using it around the office and see how long you keep your job. :eusa_naughty:

That's a tad disengenuous don't you think? Maybe you won't get put in jail for using it, but just try using it around the office and see how long you keep your job. :eusa_naughty:
It would actually depend on the circumstances, no?

The allowed part just bugged me.

Everyone's allowed to say it. Which country do you live in?

I think he means why can some people say it without getting punched in the face.

I kind of view is as the family thing... I can say anything I want about my family, but heaven help someone else who thinks they can do the same. I've never been quite sure why this issue is complicated.

I think a lot of it also has to do with intent behind the word.

That said, I don't think anyone should use it because I think it's demeaning.

I think he means why can some people say it without getting punched in the face.

I kind of view is as the family thing... I can say anything I want about my family, but heaven help someone else who thinks they can do the same. I've never been quite sure why this issue is complicated.

I don't know either. My best guess is that people that ask this question are looking for blanket approval to use the word.

That said, I don't think anyone should use it because I think it's demeaning.

I go back and forth on that. The more you use a word, the less power it has to demean. Which is more than likely why blacks started using it to begin with.

It would actually depend on the circumstances, no?

The allowed part just bugged me.

I don't know about you, but I've been conditioned to never allow the word to pass through my lips under any circumstance. And strangely enough, I've made my peace with that.

I go back and forth on that. The more you use a word, the less power it has to demean. Which is more than likely why blacks started using it to begin with.

I think language is powerful. And while I'd never say "prohibit people from using the word"; I think that it's ugliness that doesn't need to be perpetuated. And I think it effects the self-image of people who do it.

I don't know about you, but I've been conditioned to never allow the word to pass through my lips under any circumstance. And strangely enough, I've made my peace with that.
I never say it myself, but there are circumstances at work where it is said freely. My son and his friends also say it freely to each other...he and his black friends. They really have come to view it differently than we do. That's not to say they'd say it around anyone other than their friends.

I know, I know, I am a racist now.... But is it because I asked a question about the double standard in this country or because I am conservative...

Everytime a conservative even mentions some racially controversial they are a racist.... I was hoping this site was different...guess not.

I think language is powerful. And while I'd never say "prohibit people from using the word"; I think that it's ugliness that doesn't need to be perpetuated. And I think it effects the self-image of people who do it.
Yep, I believe that as well...like I said, I go back and forth.

I know, I know, I am a racist now.... But is it because I asked a question about the double standard in this country or because I am conservative...

Everytime a conservative even mentions some racially controversial they are a racist.... I was hoping this site was different...guess not.

Get with the program KMAN! Bigots just need to stay one step ahead of the PC police. That's why I've taken to using the term enwerd to refer to those ghastly negros.

I dunno. I've used the word to illustrate the irony of other, more widely acceptable derogatory words. The last occasion that I recall is with Charles from MS and his rant against [fill in the gay euphemism of your choice].

I think it's fun to watch white people dance around popular rap lyrics when trying to recite them in mixed company. Words only have the power that we give them and fly by the direction we send them. I don't think Manny saying "My Nigga" to a friend is the same thing as David Duke using the word ******. You can see the very same thing with Gays who wantonly use the word Fag while uber pc types pounce on anyone else using the nomenclature.

What about if you have a black Dad and a white Mom, is the son or daughter allowed to say it?

In November 2006 Jesse Jackson wanted to ban the "N" word. Yet, according to reports he used the N-word during a break in a TV interview where he criticized presidential candidate Barack Obama, Fox News confirmed Wednesday.

So I ask if Jesse Jackson is going back on his word then it must be ok to say that word, but how is it ok for?

It is just a word that means absolutely nothing. Its meaning has actually changed just as the word "gay" has. Having a "gay" ole time back in 1920 has an entirely different meaning in 2008. Anyone that makes something out of it has not reached racial maturity yet.

It is just a word that means absolutely nothing. Its meaning has actually changed just as the word "gay" has. Having a "gay" ole time back in 1920 has an entirely different meaning in 2008. Anyone that makes something out of it has not reached racial maturity yet.

Racial maturity?? That reminds me...

Little Leroy came home from the third grade one day and said, "mommy mommy, we were given physicals today in gym and I had the biggest penis in the class, is that because I'm black?" His mom said, "No son, that's because you're thirteen!"

Allowed by whom?

Troll on, sport.

Oh, the horror!

You.

You should go to Harlem and start using it immediately.

Check back with us and let us know how well recieved you were, okay?

Forum List

Back