When is Pro-Life pro-life?

Is it pro-life or pro-some life?
Can you be pro-life if you oppose abortion and support the death penalty?
Can you be pro-life if you support the right to abortion and oppose the death penalty?

You can only be pro-life if you have a consistent ethic that respects the dignity of all life. But I'll narrow it down and say the dignity of all human life.

I admire this ethic. It's something to strive for. And it's something I admire the Catholic faith for.

The Church's Anti-Death Penalty Position

Each of us is called to respect the life and dignity of every human being. Even when people deny the dignity of others, we must still recognize that their dignity is a gift from God and is not something that is earned or lost through their behavior. Respect for life applies to all, even the perpetrators of terrible acts. Punishment should be consistent with the demands of justice and with respect for human life and dignity.
—USCCB, A Culture of Life and the Penalty of Death

In Catholic teaching the state has the recourse to impose the death penalty upon criminals convicted of heinous crimes if this ultimate sanction is the only available means to protect society from a grave threat to human life. However, this right should not be exercised when other ways are available to punish criminals and to protect society that are more respectful of human life.

Wow.... that might actually mean something more to me if I gave a flying fuck about what the "church" thinks.

Just as you are wrong when you think that all who oppose abortion are coming from a "every life is sacred" point of view.... you are equally wrong when you think all *pro lifers* are coming from a religious point of view.

It just goes to show how I'll informed you actually are.

Can you be pro-life if you support the right to abortion and oppose the death penalty?

You can only be pro-life if you have a consistent ethic that respects the dignity of all life. But I'll narrow it down and say the dignity of all human life.

I admire this ethic. It's something to strive for. And it's something I admire the Catholic faith for.

Each of us is called to respect the life and dignity of every human being. Even when people deny the dignity of others, we must still recognize that their dignity is a gift from God and is not something that is earned or lost through their behavior. Respect for life applies to all, even the perpetrators of terrible acts. Punishment should be consistent with the demands of justice and with respect for human life and dignity.

In Catholic teaching the state has the recourse to impose the death penalty upon criminals convicted of heinous crimes if this ultimate sanction is the only available means to protect society from a grave threat to human life. However, this right should not be exercised when other ways are available to punish criminals and to protect society that are more respectful of human life.

Wow.... that might actually mean something more to me if I gave a flying fuck about what the "church" thinks.

Just as you are wrong when you think that ball who oppose abortion are coming from a "every life is sacred" point of view.... you are equally wrong when you think all *pro lifers* are coming from a religious point of view.

So you depend entirely on the subjective presumption of guilt and innocence to determine who lives and dies?

By the way - calling people "pro-abort" is pretty ignorant and ill informed.

Gotta love it when proaborts think they have the higher ground when they accuse others of supporting a mass murderer.

Pro-some-lifers shouldn't throw stones from glass houses...:rolleyes-41:

There ain't nothing glass about my house.

You can't be pro-life and still support capital punishment.

Yes you can.

Being pro-Life means respecting and protecting the most innocent of innocent as they slumber in the womb, they have committed no crime.

Being pro-Death Penalty means that we believe the most heinous of crimes deserve the ultimate punishment which is the forfeiting of life itself.

EG. Why would anyone not agree that a child rapist and murderer should not be executed?

EG. Why would anyone not agree that someone who murders an elderly person in their own bed and/or while they're out posting a letter or something should not be executed?

Because Pro-Life means you respect the dignity and sanctity of all life unless there is no other option preserve your life or that of others. With capital punishment - we have other options - life in prison (no parole).

Bull shit.

From an ethical perspective that values the sanctity of human life - isn't it all equal? If it's "specious" as you so term it, then why is it central to many faiths, such as the Catholic one?

I just got finished saying that culturally, they aren't equal. The biblical injunction (in Hebrew) is 'You will not murder' -- the xtians, for some reason, changed it to the much more problematic command, 'You will not kill'. Murder is the unlawful taking of a life. We frequently take lives in a legal ways ... euthanasia, war, capital punishment.

We accept there are legal killings in society because we agree as a culture that some lives are worth less than others ... 'women and children first'. This is an excepted axiom of our culture.

So, the argument that the life of a convicted killer (who made choices) is equivalent to the life of a child in utero is not what our culture accepts as a reasonable argument ... despite high-sounding biblical injunctions.

Just as you are wrong when you think that ball who oppose abortion are coming from a "every life is sacred" point of view.... you are equally wrong when you think all *pro lifers* are coming from a religious point of view.

So you depend entirely on the subjective presumption of guilt and innocence to determine who lives and dies?

I support the way it is established in our constitution.

And if you don't like the word pro abort or the definition thereof? I suggest you contact the writers of the various dictionaries to voice your complain to them.

From an ethical perspective that values the sanctity of human life - isn't it all equal? If it's "specious" as you so term it, then why is it central to many faiths, such as the Catholic one?

I just got finished saying that culturally, they aren't equal. The biblical injunction (in Hebrew) is 'You will not murder' -- the xtians, for some reason, changed it to the much more problematic command, 'You will not kill'. Murder is the unlawful taking of a life. We frequently take lives in a legal ways ... euthanasia, war, capital punishment.

We accept there are legal killings in society because we agree as a culture that some lives are worth less than others ... 'women and children first'. This is an excepted axiom of our culture.

So, the argument that the life of a convicted killer (who made choices) is equivalent to the life of a child in utero is not what our culture accepts as a reasonable argument ... despite high-sounding biblical injunctions.

But the reality of the death penalty is that innocent people get put to death along with guilty ones. If "innocence" is the criteria for judgement then it utterly fails.

And if you don't like the word pro abort or the definition thereof? I suggest you contact the writers of the various dictionaries to voice your complain to them.

Pro-some-life then.

But the reality of the death penalty is that innocent people get put to death along with guilty ones. If "innocence" is the criteria for judgement then it utterly fails.

True ... but in the case of an abortion. If you accept that a foetus is human, you must accept that it is an innocent human 100% of the time.

If capital punishment is wrong, it's because of a failure in a system designed to give the accused the maximum chance to defend himself. It is infrequently wrong, but that doesn't change the concept that a judicially sanctioned killing isn't murder.

True ... but in the case of an abortion. If you accept that a foetus is human, you must accept that it is an innocent human 100% of the time.

If capital punishment is wrong, it's because of a failure in a system designed to give the accused the maximum chance to defend himself. It is infrequently wrong, but that doesn't change the concept that a judicially sanctioned killing isn't murder.

What is it when an innocent person is condemned to die through a faulty justice system - in some cases criminally so? An innocent person dies and unlike an embryo, is aware of his innocence it every single second?

Pro-some-life then.

Pro innocent life and pro innocent until proven guilty.... with the acceptance of a fucking reality that sometimes despite all the efforts to avoid it.... an innocent life might be lost.

Countless innocent lives are lost every day as a consequence of booze being legal.... But libtardz would never consider banning booze again... but one innocent CONVICTED felon (usually prior convictions) gets executed and suddenly we just have to ban the practice entirely.

Pro-some-life then.

Pro innocent life and pro innocent until proven guilty.... with the acceptance of a fucking reality that sometimes despite all the efforts to avoid it.... an innocent life might be lost.

Countless innocent lives are lost every day as a consequence of booze being legal.... But libtardz would never consider banning booze again... but one innocent CONVICTED felon (usually prior convictions) gets executed and suddenly we just have to ban the practice entirely.

How can you ethically condone the killing of any innocent person? Right there is the inconsistency in your ethic, so much so you have to resort to insults.

Innocent is innocent and if you oppose the killing of it you can't possibly support a system that is so faulty innocent people have gotten executed. And not just one. Or two. Or three.

It's acceptable to you to kill innocent people becuase what - most of them are guilty anyway and if they're not well they're already "convicted felons". Listen to yourself.

What is it when an innocent person is condemned to die through a faulty justice system - in some cases criminally so? An innocent person dies and unlike an embryo, is aware of his innocence it every single second?

Now you're on to an argument. Instead of trying to push a moral equivalency between a child in utero and a convicted killer. You could try the alternate argument that the foetus in utero is less than human due to its inability to perceive its own innocence.

In that way, the killing of a feotus becomes legal based on the accepted principles of the culture.

Pro-some-life then.

How can you ethically condone the killing of any innocent person? Right there is the inconsistency in your ethic, so much so you have to resort to insults.

Innocent is innocent and if you oppose the killing of it you can't possibly support a system that is so faulty innocent people have gotten executed. And not just one. Or two. Or three.

It's acceptable to you to kill innocent people becuase what - most of them are guilty anyway and if they're not well they're already "convicted felons". Listen to yourself.

The Constitution says that no person can be deprived of their life - except by due process. I support what the Constitution says. Your attempts to twist, distort and mischaracterize my beliefs not with standing.

Last edited:

Now you're on to an argument. Instead of trying to push a moral equivalency between a child in utero and a convicted killer. You could try the alternate argument that the foetus in utero is less than human due to its inability to perceive its own innocence.

In that way, the killing of a feotus becomes legal based on the accepted principles of the culture.

Good points. Except. . .

Except the Constitution doesn't say that only self aware persons are entitled to the equal perceptions of our laws. . . It says ALL persons. That would include those in comas, severely retarded or otherwise incapacitaed.

Good points. Except. . .

Except the Constitution doesn't say that only self aware persons are entitled to the equal perceptions of our laws. . . It says ALL persons. That would include those in comas, severely retarded or otherwise incapacitaed.

I agree. But, the only chance of making an argument that morally justifies abortion of to push the argument that a human foetus isn't human. I personally don't accept that argument. But, the argument that an innocent human child and a convicted killer are morally equivalent is actually pretty stupid.

Good points. Except. . .

I agree. But, the only chance of making an argument that morally justifies abortion of to push the argument that a human foetus isn't human. I personally don't accept that argument. But, the argument that an innocent human child and a convicted killer are morally equivalent is actually pretty stupid.

Yeah.... you got to love the argument that a human being in the zygote embryo or fetal stage of their life is not a human being.

I guess I haven't killed near enough brain cells to fully comprehend that one yet.

Abortion is fundamentally driven by modern promiscuity and irresponsible sex habits of teens, unwed mothers, liberated single party girls, and their frat boy associates.

Abortion is governed by bad SCOTUS law which mandates all states to follow a permissive standard of law.

In accordance with a literal reading of the U.S. Constitution abortion is relegated to the States to decide what limitations and procedures they want to follow in their states.

The foolish b!tch who was Roe in Roe V. Wade recently died. It would have been better for the U.S.A. had she never been born. She repudiated all the positions in her law suit that went to the SCOTUS and became an emotional fallacy argument that the Burger Court swallowed in a moment of Judiciary activism.

A good reason for having an abortion is due to rape or incest (which is also rape), or an abnormally deformed fetus.

In the case of a stupid teenager I would favor abortion too, since the single mother status is likely to destroy the child-mother's life, and also be detrimental to the baby as well.

I don't have a problem with infanticide for deformed babies either. There is essentially no difference. Better to start over. And then if it keeps happening get sterilized and then adopt instead.

That's the whole argument for and against abortion.

The people of any given state should be empowered to decide how they want to deal with abortion and to what extent they want to allow it and what regulations to put upon it.

Abortion is fundamentally driven by modern promiscuity and irresponsible sex habits of teens, unwed mothers, liberated single party girls, and their frat boy associates.

Abortion is governed by bad SCOTUS law which mandates all states to follow a permissive standard of law.

In accordance with a literal reading of the U.S. Constitution abortion is relegated to the States to decide what limitations and procedures they want to follow in their states.

The foolish b!tch who was Roe in Roe V. Wade recently died. It would have been better for the U.S.A. had she never been born. She repudiated all the positions in her law suit that went to the SCOTUS and became an emotional fallacy argument that the Burger Court swallowed in a moment of Judiciary activism.

A good reason for having an abortion is due to rape or incest (which is also rape), or an abnormally deformed fetus.

In the case of a stupid teenager I would favor abortion too, since the single mother status is likely to destroy the child-mother's life, and also be detrimental to the baby as well.

I don't have a problem with infanticide for deformed babies either. There is essentially no difference. Better to start over. And then if it keeps happening get sterilized and then adopt instead.

That's the whole argument for and against abortion.

The people of any given state should be empowered to decide how they want to deal with abortion and to what extent they want to allow it and what regulations to put upon it.

What about the part of the Constitution that says "all persons" are entitled to the EQUAL protections of our laws?

Does that not include persons (esp. children) with deformities?

Forum List

Back