When do you plan to retire?

Which of these best describes your plans for retirement?

• As soon as I can.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I want to retire at 55.

• I want to retire at 60.

• I will retire at 62.

• I had to retire for medical reasons.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

odanny

Diamond Member
May 7, 2017
Midwest - Trumplandia
Just wondering peoples thoughts on working and whether you quit the rat race, are still in the rat race, or if your work brings you pleasure and you don't really want to stop doing it. Retirement can be a mixed bag, I am fortunate I don't have to work anymore, but If I had a job that I really enjoyed, I might still be working. I have no regrets that I'm retired now.

Joined the Navy as soon as I graduated High School, and made it a career.

At 38, I retired from the Navy, with a pension (believe it or not, my pension is more than what people on minimum wage make), full health care benefits and all the privileges that go with it.

I worked for a few years at various jobs, but after a while, when I figured out how to live decently on my retirement (got to the point of no bills, just stuff I have to buy like food and car insurance, but no car payment), decided to quit the rat race and just do whatever I wanted whenever I wanted.

And, while the past 15 years or so have been pretty great not having anyone or any job to answer to, I'm actually thinking of getting a job just to have something to keep me occupied. I actually kinda miss the talks with co-workers and being responsible, but I will always keep the option open to stop working if I decide that I want to do something else.

Yeah.................being young enough to work and having a retirement bringing in cash is great. I have all the options I want if I want them.

And, if I want extra cash for something a bit outside my current budget, I can always do odd jobs to raise the money.

Just wondering peoples thoughts on working and whether you quit the rat race, are still in the rat race, or if your work brings you pleasure and you don't really want to stop doing it. Retirement can be a mixed bag, I am fortunate I don't have to work anymore, but If I had a job that I really enjoyed, I might still be working. I have no regrets that I'm retired now.
Ended up working to 60 to make up for the 401k Losses of the Bush crash.

Ended up working to 60 to make up for the 401k Losses of the Bush crash.
You are confused Moon Bat.

The economy was great for the first six years of the Bush administration when we had a Republican controlled Congress dispute a trillion dollar hit due to 911. It was because of his tax cut. You stupid Moon Bats hate tax cuts, don't you?

However, the thing that fucked up our economy is when the damn Democrats took over Congress in 2006. The CRA chickens came home to roost and really fucked up the housing market and the economy and that is what fucked your 401K. "Hey, lets have the government to put pressure on lenders to give credit to people that no intentions of ever paying it back, what could possibly go wrong"?

Whenever Democrats are elected we are fucked. It happens every time.

I worked Civil Service in the DoD for 33 years and retired at 55
at 2/3 pay

Went back and worked as a consultant for six more years doing essentially the same job and retired for good at 61

Living off my pension, Social Security and 401k

IOW, a double-dipping career parasite.

Figures.
Over a 40 year period I worked on the development and testing of complex military equipment that saved thousands of lives. I am proud of my Government career

Over a 40 year period I worked on the development and testing of complex military equipment that saved thousands of lives. I am proud of my Government career

Kudos to you for landing in a job where that opportunity was afforded to you. Me? I didn't have that opportunity as my rating in the Navy (PN) was one that was a dime a dozen and the job didn't have any technical stuff that would have afforded me to become a consultant.

But, I don't regret my choice of job either. PN was one of the few rates that could go ANYWHERE the Navy had people, and if a person was good enough at the job, they could get some pretty choice assignments. I've done surface ships, shore duty (basically a 9 to 5 office job), squadrons (FA-18 outfit, VFA-131 WILDCATS), managed to land a billet on an MSC vessel (of which VERY few Navy personnel get to do), as well as did a stint running a MEPS out of Amarillo as Head Classifier and HMFIC for the Navy office (my boss was all the way down in San Antonio). Outside of being on a submarine, I think I was able to land billets in a pretty healthy variety of what the Navy has.

I worked Civil Service in the DoD for 33 years and retired at 55
at 2/3 pay

Went back and worked as a consultant for six more years doing essentially the same job and retired for good at 61

Living off my pension, Social Security and 401k
I like people that have a plan. Work the plan until pays off as planned and then enjoy the fruits of their work. Good job, RW.

Forum List

Back