What's Your Understanding Of The Act Of Burning The Flag?

If a democrat does it it is freedom of speech, if a republican does it it is vile and extremist to the inth degree.

If a republican does it it's freedom of speech
if a denocrat does it it is vile and extremist to the nth degree

hey willow.....

how come you DEFEND republicans who burn flags but CONDEMN democrats who do it?

are you an ignorant hypocrite?

I would attempt to stop anyone from burning the flag.
However, flag burning is free speech. Anyone that does it I despise but it is their right.

If a democrat does it it is freedom of speech, if a republican does it it is vile and extremist to the inth degree.

hey willow.....

she has? Where?

What Republicans have burned flags? :eusa_eh:

Talking out of your ass?

hey willow.....

Let's not counter stupid point with another stupid point. Best to just ignore willow

There are some conservatives that get outraged at any criticism of the gov't or the gov'ts actions, especially in war. Look at all the shit thrown at anybody that didn't jump in line to support the wars. Or you bring up things the US gov't has done wrong in the past. THey just don't want to here that their precious country can't do no wrong
Exactly!

To many America can do no wrong.

So the Constitution is a god and the flag is the god next to it.

• Thanks
Reactions: blu
There are some conservatives that get outraged at any criticism of the gov't or the gov'ts actions, especially in war. Look at all the shit thrown at anybody that didn't jump in line to support the wars. Or you bring up things the US gov't has done wrong in the past. THey just don't want to here that their precious country can't do no wrong
Exactly!

Not as I see it.

It is my belief that the consitution is a guideline and the flag is a symbol of unity.

I do not chastise those that see it differently than I do. I ask that those thatseeit differently than I do not chastise me.

Different views, common goal. Should be on our currency.

I don't notice anyone chuckling, and approval or disapproval doesn't indicate a difference in basic understanding of what's happening.
Well, I didn't really mean literally chuckling, I meant it in an abstract way, although I'm sure some really do chuckle...if and when they too are angry at what's going on with their government.

I'm a Lib, I've lived in NYC, been to protest, I think I have an understanding of the mindset of those on my side.

I think.

Libs aren't upset at the fact that an American flag is burned at all, they at most are wondering what made the burner so mad.

Cons I think get outraged at the site and even at the thought of an American flag burning.

I've noticed these sentiments even during my time on this board.

Which is exactly what I said: one side thinks it's good, the other side thinks it's bad. And both of them see it as a deliberately offensive act committed for the purpose of shock and outrage. Or would you like to try to tell me that leftists AREN'T burning it precisely because it offends people?

Can we keep the triple negatives down to a minimum? Hear, not here. Since we're talking about things done wrong. People that haven't been in a war, probably should steer clear of making judgements on what happens in battle.

The flag is a representation of all that is good in America. It is a comfort to many and a warning to those who oppose us. In the past it was treated with respect as such a symbol. Now we just get twisted sick people who think they are respecting the country by supporting the flag burner.

It's just that one side views that as a good thing to do, and the other doesn't.

Who thinks it's a "good" thing to do? Most do it to make a specific point. It's the choice and freedom to do so that is good.

Just a typical person misrepresenting the opposite side to try and demonize them. Nobody thinks its a good thing, but a constitutionally guaranteed right, regardless of whether we like it or are offended by it

Thank you for demonstrating my point about fooling only themselves.

who cares about the flag, i never understood people's obsessions with symbols and material things. i don't understand how so many "conservatives" attempt to restrict people's rights in order to stop them from burning a peice of plastic/paper/vinyl or whatever the particular, chinese-made flag is produced from

I don't find it at all surprising that you know so little about human nature that you cannot understand the concept and importance of symbolism. Nor do I find it surprising that you don't understand a group of people you've clearly never made any attempt to understand, or even communicate respectfully with.

Which is exactly what I said: one side thinks it's good, the other side thinks it's bad. And both of them see it as a deliberately offensive act committed for the purpose of shock and outrage. Or would you like to try to tell me that leftists AREN'T burning it precisely because it offends people?

I believe we're on the same side here, but I don't believe that doing something that someone ELSE finds offensive is offensive. If you know what I mean. Not to draw it out long, as it already has, but I could do something I find totally normal or acceptable with the full knowledge or thought that it may be offensive to someone else.

Kinda like how folk on the Right got offended when Liberals protested Bush and how now folk on the Left get offended when Conservatives protest Obama. Fair and/or unfair.

Its simultaneously acceptable and offensive to both going and coming.

Exactly!

Really? Find me someone - anyone - who actually thinks America can do no wrong, or who considers the Constitution OR the flag to be gods. Otherwise, spare me the frigging hyperbole.

I'll say again to all leftists what I said to Blu - it is not at all surprising to hear that you don't understand the concept and importance of symbolism, because you demonstrate so clearly so often that you understand nothing about human nature in general.

And you will never understand why conservatives do what they do if you ask your questions with your ears already stuffed full of what you "know" to be the answers.

I believe we're on the same side here, but I don't believe that doing something that someone ELSE finds offensive is offensive. If you know what I mean. Not to draw it out long, as it already has, but I could do something I find totally normal or acceptable with the full knowledge or thought that it may be offensive to someone else.

Kinda like how folk on the Right got offended when Liberals protested Bush and how now folk on the Left get offended when Conservatives protest Obama. Fair and/or unfair.

If doing something that someone else finds offensive isn't offensive, then what IS? And doing something specifically BECAUSE you know others find it offensive sure as hell is. Kindergarten concepts like "fair" and "unfair" have nothing to do with offensive ot not.

Political protests are not the issue here. The flag represents the nation, not a political view point. Americans burning the flag is simply disrepectful.

Really? Find me someone - anyone - who actually thinks America can do no wrong, or who considers the Constitution OR the flag to be gods. Otherwise, spare me the frigging hyperbole.

I'll say again to all leftists what I said to Blu - it is not at all surprising to hear that you don't understand the concept and importance of symbolism, because you demonstrate so clearly so often that you understand nothing about human nature in general.

And you will never understand why conservatives do what they do if you ask your questions with your ears already stuffed full of what you "know" to be the answers.

Judge not, lest ye be judged.

Are you NOT guilty of "not understanding human nature" by viewing things the Left does the way you do...not even attempting to consider their viewpoint?

With that said, I think many Libs find it hard to grasp the concept of putting so much emotion in a document (the Constitution) and an object (the flag) they find it rather silly actually.

who cares about the flag, i never understood people's obsessions with symbols and material things. i don't understand how so many "conservatives" attempt to restrict people's rights in order to stop them from burning a peice of plastic/paper/vinyl or whatever the particular, chinese-made flag is produced from

I don't find it at all surprising that you know so little about human nature that you cannot understand the concept and importance of symbolism. Nor do I find it surprising that you don't understand a group of people you've clearly never made any attempt to understand, or even communicate respectfully with.

I understand why many people are weak and need useless symbols to feel better I just find it stupid.

Exactly!

Just curious here. If everyone on the left does not understand human nature in general, are you saying those you determine to be "leftists" are not human, or that they do not understand themselves as well as you do?

I found an explanation on snopes.com of the code on respect for and disposal of flags, that burning is the "preferred" way of disposing of flags respectfully, in the case of irreparable damage that makes the flag unsuitable for display.

Perhaps these protestors are figuratively expressing belief that stains on the history of the nation make the flag unsuitable for display? That these ills cannot be repaired?

In general, burning flags unnecessarily is environmentally incorrect. Wastes good material that could be recycled, pollutes the air, and contributes to political war and global warming.

If these activists want peace instead of war, fanning the flames would defeat the purpose.
Even if it gets media attention as the goal, it still sends a negative mixed message. There are more positive ways to send a strong visual message without contradicting values.

Exactly!

Leave it cecille to make this yet another partisan hack mudslinging competition. we are having decent discussion here and sharing opinions without judgement of others. So please, let the adults discuss and go troll and spout your liberal hatred elsewhere.

I found an explanation on snopes.com of the code on respect for and disposal of flags, that burning is the "preferred" way of disposing of flags respectfully, in the case of irreparable damage that makes the flag unsuitable for display.

Perhaps these protestors are figuratively expressing belief that stains on the history of the nation make the flag unsuitable for display? That these ills cannot be repaired?

In general, burning flags unnecessarily is environmentally incorrect. Wastes good material that could be recycled, pollutes the air, and contributes to political war and global warming.

If these activists want peace instead of war, fanning the flames would defeat the purpose.
Even if it gets media attention as the goal, it still sends a negative mixed message. There are more positive ways to send a strong visual message without contradicting values

Flag burning is speech. As such, it means whatever the person doing it is trying to convey.

That said, the reason I disapprove of it is exactly what you posted in the portion I highlighted. Unless what you are protesting is an attempt to remove the right to burn the flag itself, the act is so inflammatory it drowns out the message and is counterproductive.

I'll defend the right to do it with everything I have, free speech must include the freedom to be offensive and even quite frankly stupid. But that doesn't mean I think doing it is right.

Forum List

Back