What's Your Understanding Of The Act Of Burning The Flag?

It's just that one side views that as a good thing to do, and the other doesn't.

Who thinks it's a "good" thing to do? Most do it to make a specific point. It's the choice and freedom to do so that is good.

Um, the people who do it obviously think it's a good thing to do. And the people who defend it as "valid political expression" can run their gums all they want about how they don't approve, but they fool no one but themselves.

I don't think that RWers and LWers view it the same at all.

You RWers tend to take it ultra-personally, as if someone's burning down your abode or something.

So I'd like to get some feedback as to what you think it is, both sides actually.

Something tells me that the reasons will differ quite substantially based on ideology.

Actually, I think both sides view it pretty much the same: an attack on a powerful and beloved symbol for the purpose of being shocking and offensive. It's just that one side views that as a good thing to do, and the other doesn't.

I understand your point, but I disagree...in no way do I believe the both sides view it the same or even pretty much the same.

RWers seem to get incensed whenever it occurs, meanwhile LWers seemto chuckle. Two opposite sides of the spectrum.

Marc,

You are a smart man that asks smart questions.
This post was a smart question.

I believe you are aware that the two wings use the flag burning controversy as a tool against the other wing?

I don't think that RWers and LWers view it the same at all.

You RWers tend to take it ultra-personally, as if someone's burning down your abode or something.

So I'd like to get some feedback as to what you think it is, both sides actually.

Something tells me that the reasons will differ quite substantially based on ideology.

Actually, I think both sides view it pretty much the same: an attack on a powerful and beloved symbol for the purpose of being shocking and offensive. It's just that one side views that as a good thing to do, and the other doesn't.

I understand your point, but I disagree...in no way do I believe the both sides view it the same or even pretty much the same.

RWers seem to get incensed whenever it occurs, meanwhile LWers seemto chuckle. Two opposite sides of the spectrum.

I don't notice anyone chuckling, and approval or disapproval doesn't indicate a difference in basic understanding of what's happening.

It's great that we live in a country where it isn't illegal to burn the flag.

I agree. Freedom of expression is a great thing.

It is sad that one must express hatred for their country, however.

I am not happy with the policies of this administration, but I repsect the president as he is my president and I respect my country as it is the most free and most prosperous in the world.

To express disatisfaction in policy, I use debate. It is the best way to capitalize on freedom of expression..
I don't think people that burn the flag hate the country. It's more that they disapprove of what their country is doing in their name.

And they know it will not help their cause, but infuriate those that oppose the act.

And those against the act know that blasting those that do it will not stop them from doing it; instead incite a negative response.

I do not blast those that do it and I would never do it myself.

It is only a tool for anger.

I would never burn the flag, but I think it represents the best part of our country.
I think it is worse when you disrespect the flag by flying it the wrong way, or not disposing of it when it is worn out.
Yep.

One of my neighbors is flying both the US flag and the confederate flag on the same pole. I guess it's legal but it makes me laugh. Maybe he's trying to make a political point.

He is probably clueless.:lol:

I would never burn the flag, but I think it represents the best part of our country.
I think it is worse when you disrespect the flag by flying it the wrong way, or not disposing of it when it is worn out.
Yep.

One of my neighbors is flying both the US flag and the confederate flag on the same pole. I guess it's legal but it makes me laugh. Maybe he's trying to make a political point.

Fellow down the road has both his snake and his stars and bars flying higher than his American flag. I find that somewhat insulting, personally. But hey, if he has the right to burn it he has the right to insult it. At least his isn't flying upside down with holes in it.

I don't really approve of flag burning as a statement but I'd be very, very upset if the right to do it was lost.

I don't notice anyone chuckling, and approval or disapproval doesn't indicate a difference in basic understanding of what's happening.
Well, I didn't really mean literally chuckling, I meant it in an abstract way, although I'm sure some really do chuckle...if and when they too are angry at what's going on with their government.

I'm a Lib, I've lived in NYC, been to protest, I think I have an understanding of the mindset of those on my side.

I think.

Libs aren't upset at the fact that an American flag is burned at all, they at most are wondering what made the burner so mad.

Cons I think get outraged at the site and even at the thought of an American flag burning.

I've noticed these sentiments even during my time on this board.

I am not happy with the policies of this administration, but I repsect the president as he is my president and I respect my country as it is the most free and most prosperous in the world.

To express disatisfaction in policy, I use debate. It is the best way to capitalize on freedom of expression..
I don't think people that burn the flag hate the country. It's more that they disapprove of what their country is doing in their name.

And they know it will not help their cause, but infuriate those that oppose the act.

And those against the act know that blasting those that do it will not stop them from doing it; instead incite a negative response.

The Vietnam protesters used it to their advantage I would say.

I honestly can't see why anyone would oppose the act. Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. :thup:

It's great that we live in a country where it isn't illegal to burn the flag.

To express disatisfaction in policy, I use debate. It is the best way to capitalize on freedom of expression..[/quote]I don't think people that burn the flag hate the country. It's more that they disapprove of what their country is doing in their name.

burning flag equal zero results.. moving,, gets you a country you approve of..

Yep.

Fellow down the road has both his snake and his stars and bars flying higher than his American flag. I find that somewhat insulting, personally. But hey, if he has the right to burn it he has the right to insult it. At least his isn't flying upside down with holes in it.

I don't really approve of flag burning as a statement but I'd be very, very upset if the right to do it was lost.
I thought it was illegal, or at least against the flag codes, to fly another country's flag higher than ours...if you consider the rebel south another country. :eusa_eh: I don't remember if there is anything particular in the flag code about burning one in protest.

It's an inanimate object, do whatever you want with it. Isn't it an act of expression that would violate freedom of speech?

I know it represents this country that so many love, but I don't need every person in the world to love america to love being born and living here. If people want to be jackasses and burn the flag, so be it, they would be shitting on the country that gives them the right to express themselves.

Not that I think its right or condone it, but its really not that big a deal, to me there are plenty of things people should be more offended by and upset about than someone burning the flag

I honestly can't see why anyone would oppose the act. Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. :thup:

I can show dissent for my sons actions by spanking him.
Or
I can show dissent for my sons actions by discussing them.

The first way will get him wrapped up in "why does daddy hate me"

The second way will get him to engage in debate.

Sorry for the metaphore. But I bleive I made my point.

We see it differently, but I have a great deal of respect for your view as I agree: Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.

Yep.

I thought it was illegal, or at least against the flag codes, to fly another country's flag higher than ours...if you consider the rebel south another country. :eusa_eh: I don't remember if there is anything particular in the flag code about burning one in protest.

I don't know if it's against the flag code or not. Honestly, I never knew it beyond the basics - don't let it touch the ground, that kind of thing. I know it's an insult, but seems like speech to me.

It's just that one side views that as a good thing to do, and the other doesn't.

Who thinks it's a "good" thing to do? Most do it to make a specific point. It's the choice and freedom to do so that is good.

Just a typical person misrepresenting the opposite side to try and demonize them. Nobody thinks its a good thing, but a constitutionally guaranteed right, regardless of whether we like it or are offended by it

who cares about the flag, i never understood people's obsessions with symbols and material things. i don't understand how so many "conservatives" attempt to restrict people's rights in order to stop them from burning a peice of plastic/paper/vinyl or whatever the particular, chinese-made flag is produced from

Well, I didn't really mean literally chuckling, I meant it in an abstract way, although I'm sure some really do chuckle...if and when they too are angry at what's going on with their government.

I'm a Lib, I've lived in NYC, been to protest, I think I have an understanding of the mindset of those on my side.

I think.

Libs aren't upset at the fact that an American flag is burned at all, they at most are wondering what made the burner so mad.

Cons I think get outraged at the site and even at the thought of an American flag burning.

I've noticed these sentiments even during my time on this board.

There are some conservatives that get outraged at any criticism of the gov't or the gov'ts actions, especially in war. Look at all the shit thrown at anybody that didn't jump in line to support the wars. Or you bring up things the US gov't has done wrong in the past. THey just don't want to here that their precious country can't do no wrong

Although what the Protestors did to the returning troops was absolutely deplorable, like it was there choice to be in the war in the first place. Horrible when I see how so many were treated.

who cares about the flag, i never understood people's obsessions with symbols and material things. i don't understand how so many "conservatives" attempt to restrict people's rights in order to stop them from burning a peice of plastic/paper/vinyl or whatever the particular, chinese-made flag is produced from

First, my position on the flag is sound. Freedom of expression is also sound. So yes, burn away if you MUST.

But why must you?

To many, the flag represents something; be it their dead children from wars; their ancestors who struggled to come here.

Sorry. I believe most do it as they know it will incite anger; not an effort to express themselves.

But that is my opinion?

Although what the Protestors did to the returning troops was absolutely deplorable, like it was there choice to be in the war in the first place. Horrible when I see how so many were treated.

Yes, I know all too well.

But people make mistakes and we all learn from them.

I just fly mine upside down currently. Seems to make a statement while keeping my flag expenses reasonable. Also they don't like you burning in the city without a permit.

Forum List

Back