• Windoze

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • MacOS

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
meanwhile, Windows drivers are readily available.

make another excuse!

Um ... no, not all drivers MS makes are compatible with older Windoze, and for those who know enough about computers you don't usually need a new driver you just configure the default ones.

go tell it to the dude whose linux distro was failing this morning. This is what we in the real world call EVIDENCE, expert.

:thup:

:rofl:

My linux distro was not failing.....ass. The vendor failed to provide the proper software with their device. If that happened to you, you'd just be fucked. I had recourse.

Thats a swing and a miss!

Koder clued me in to her lack of skills back when she got a little too cocky about some rendering software. This thread is just icing on the cake.

cake that i'll be bringing back out to taste in 6 months.

:lol::lol:
Don't ask me to argue software, I'm a hardware type, but I am learning Ubuntu because other than 2000 and XP I really don't like Microsoft, to bulky. My wife has Vista home on here puter and I hate it, I'm the one who has to do all the file maintenance/cleaning on the home computers. I actually find the latest Ubuntu to be simpler to use and runs ten times faster on an old GX260 then Vista on here HP Duo-core Media Center. She has no desire to switch OSs so I'll have to upgrade to Windows 7 for her.

I can't say that I blame her. She will avoid a lot of bullshit even if there is a win7 cluterfuck. Why? Because the full might of MS will be behind fixing any problems rather than having to wait 6 months for some l33t hax0r to get off of her fat ass and figure out why the latest linux distro isn't comparable with video card drivers or wifi connections.

Like I said, I'm the one who makes sure everything is working the way it's supposed to, so she has nothing to deal with. She just uses it. Every time there is an issue with her computer I hear, "you need to fix that piece of crap before I toss it out the window". If she took a job that used Linux servers and Ubuntu OSs on the work stations she would have me switch her OS to Ubuntu and show her how to use it to keep it compatable with what she has at work. That is probably the only reason she would switch.
What I'll probably do is build her a new one (no more oems) and load dual boot XP and Ubuntu. The biggest challenge is moving her e-mail messages down from Vista to XP, I've tried it following Microsoft's directions and it doesn't work and now they are telling me its not backwards compatible.

:lol::lol:
Don't ask me to argue software, I'm a hardware type, but I am learning Ubuntu because other than 2000 and XP I really don't like Microsoft, to bulky. My wife has Vista home on here puter and I hate it, I'm the one who has to do all the file maintenance/cleaning on the home computers. I actually find the latest Ubuntu to be simpler to use and runs ten times faster on an old GX260 then Vista on here HP Duo-core Media Center. She has no desire to switch OSs so I'll have to upgrade to Windows 7 for her.

I can't say that I blame her. She will avoid a lot of bullshit even if there is a win7 cluterfuck. Why? Because the full might of MS will be behind fixing any problems rather than having to wait 6 months for some l33t hax0r to get off of her fat ass and figure out why the latest linux distro isn't comparable with video card drivers or wifi connections.

Like I said, I'm the one who makes sure everything is working the way it's supposed to, so she has nothing to deal with. She just uses it. Every time there is an issue with her computer I hear, "you need to fix that piece of crap before I toss it out the window". If she took a job that used Linux servers and Ubuntu OSs on the work stations she would have me switch her OS to Ubuntu and show her how to use it to keep it compatable with what she has at work. That is probably the only reason she would switch.
What I'll probably do is build her a new one (no more oems) and load dual boot XP and Ubuntu. The biggest challenge is moving her e-mail messages down from Vista to XP, I've tried it following Microsoft's directions and it doesn't work and now they are telling me its not backwards compatible.

They're taking away all backwards compatibility, each new version offers less and I know Windoze 7 has none. That's what's hurting MS the most, and why many companies are switching to something else. MS has almost no power in other countries as well, their multilingual support is new and very glitch filled while Linux/Unix and Mac have had that support the whole time because of Unicode. Bill hadn't expected MS to survive this long really, but he kept finding opportunities to keep Ms profitable and made it much bigger than he had thought it would be. He's not a computer geek, he's actually quite clueless about them, he's a business geek and knows how to sell merchandise.

Um ... no, not all drivers MS makes are compatible with older Windoze, and for those who know enough about computers you don't usually need a new driver you just configure the default ones.

go tell it to the dude whose linux distro was failing this morning. This is what we in the real world call EVIDENCE, expert.

My linux distro was not failing.....ass. The vendor failed to provide the proper software with their device. If that happened to you, you'd just be fucked. I had recourse.

... yep, a ton of us programmers with a ton of available software online. Plus, us true geeks like to show off. ;) Windoze doesn't hire geeks anymore, they hire "college freaks" now instead.

begging for help on a forum sure is recourse.

:lol:

They're taking away all backwards compatibility, each new version offers less and I know Windoze 7 has none. That's what's hurting MS the most, and why many companies are switching to something else. MS has almost no power in other countries as well, their multilingual support is new and very glitch filled while Linux/Unix and Mac have had that support the whole time because of Unicode. Bill hadn't expected MS to survive this long really, but he kept finding opportunities to keep Ms profitable and made it much bigger than he had thought it would be. He's not a computer geek, he's actually quite clueless about them, he's a business geek and knows how to sell merchandise.

you are such a fucking flake.

... yep, a ton of us programmers with a ton of available software online. Plus, us true geeks like to show off. ;) Windoze doesn't hire geeks anymore, they hire "college freaks" now instead.

source?

fucking flake.

Wow ... so have you spoken to the man yourself? Doubt it, he's rather open about what he knows and what he doesn't. I couldn't do what he can because I don't actually know how to sell things well, but he also didn't argue with me about computer software because that's what I do know.

begging for help on a forum sure is recourse.

He wasn't "begging" for help, he was asking a question, same thing you would do with MS support. Tech Esq is just smart enough to know where to look since Linux tech support is it's users and programmers, not one company, and well, we have heart, MS doesn't. ;)

Wow ... so have you spoken to the man yourself? Doubt it, he's rather open about what he knows and what he doesn't. I couldn't do what he can because I don't actually know how to sell things well, but he also didn't argue with me about computer software because that's what I do know.

and you have, eh nerd flake?

jesus fucking christ.. You sure do believe you are the proverbial joan of fucking ubunu, don't you?

crazy.

:cuckoo:

jesus fucking christ.. You sure do believe you are the proverbial joan of fucking ubunu, don't you?

crazy.

Windoze is pre-installed on almost all computers, people choose to install Linux over it, people don't choose to install Windoze over Linux, get over it. More people are switching to Linux (that means they are new to it) every year.

crazy.

Windoze is pre-installed on almost all computers, people choose to install Linux over it, people don't choose to install Windoze over Linux, get over it. More people are switching to Linux (that means they are new to it) every year.

cite your source or shut the fuck up. your choice.

Mac is a bit behind in that area right now, but they are still more secure than Windoze, and Apple tech support is second to none (which is what you pay for).

Eh from my understanding its not more secure. The only reason people think its more "secure" is because no one writes code for Mac's since they don't even make up 10% of the market share so they keep writing codes towards PC based Operating Systems.

However that is slowly changing now and more threats are popping up against Mac's.

I'm not a programmer, I do know more then basics tho. I like to game on my PC's and building them is a hobby of mine. I know for a fact I would never buy a Mac for gaming when PC's blow them out of the water.

Mac is a bit behind in that area right now, but they are still more secure than Windoze, and Apple tech support is second to none (which is what you pay for).

Eh from my understanding its not more secure. The only reason people think its more "secure" is because no one writes code for Mac's since they don't even make up 10% of the market share so they keep writing codes towards PC based Operating Systems.

However that is slowly changing now and more threats are popping up against Mac's.

I'm not a programmer, I do know more then basics tho. I like to game on my PC's and building them is a hobby of mine. I know for a fact I would never buy a Mac for gaming when PC's blow them out of the water.

i seem to recall someone else mentioning that to Koder....

Mac isn't as secure as Linux/Unix right now, but they are merging technologies. As a programmer I know it's harder to write a virus for MacOS than Windoze, they're code libraries are harder to overwrite and it's almost impossible to get it to autoload anything but their predefined system libraries unless the user is running an app that utilizes an infected library they're safe. However their directory structure isn't as secure as Linux/Unix by far, you can override the user verifications and gain readable access easily, writable requires a little more work. With Linux/Unix you have to get the user to enter a password or crack their super user password to get access. Windoze has a lot of back doors, so tech support can get in when you ask them to (they aren't suppose to without your approval but they can on Windoze, with Mac you have to approve it first). Since I don't use Macs though I won't theorize of any other possibilities and let a Mac user chime in to correct or clarify. As for Linux/Unix and Windoze, I know both very well. You web browser temp directories are about the only thing people can hack, so just clearing your cookies and not storing anything important in the browser will protect you from hacking, though most people don't do that all the time. Windoze however, the entire directory system is an open book, once the user logs on everything is available to a hacker and virus. You can even trick a Windoze machine into installing something silently by cracking a tech support back door, since Linux has no tech support and Unix tech support just tells you how to do it there is no back door for those OSes. Mac may have a back door that I don't know of though.

Still, over all (according to the results of every hackers convention which PC Magazine and several others hold to test security) Windoze is full of holes, Mac is decent, Linux is almost perfect, and Unix may as well be perfect. Ubuntu has actually stood above them all for distros, no one was able to get past the temp directories in a hack attempt.

... and if you recall I admitted many times that I know little about Macs ... :cuckoo:

I use Wind-Hos. That's all I know and that is all I use as the programs that I need for work use Wind-Hos.

I've never used Linyucks.

I only used Macque back in '93 whilst in college and it sucked back then. All I ever saw was:
NP0008.jpg

... and if you recall I admitted many times that I know little about Macs ... :cuckoo:

liar. you know goddamn well I can quote you insisting that the structure of non-MS os is why there are no virii rather than the lack of user popularity.

Forum List

Back