What's the magic of AM and DM chords?

rupol2000

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2021
I think that the sound of more than half of the romantic songs is based on these chords. All the juice of the sound of romantic songs is in these consonances. There must be some magic here.

These chords are self sufficient. If there was nothing else, only millions of songs could be performed on them and it would still be interesting

On other chords, it is impossible to play so many independent compositions so that they sound fully.
No it ain't, I played for years, it's all in the magic of the creator of the music.

• Banned
No it ain't, I played for years, it's all in the magic of the creator of the music.
I think that these are special chords. There are several more adjoining them, such as D, C, E, EM, F, GM and about 80-90% of all songs play these chords.

But these two chords are the basis of the whole minor sound. It is they who give a romantic coloring to all songs.

• Banned
Without them, the sound would have lost at least 50% of expressiveness. And there are a lot of songs that can be played very well with just those 2 chords, it won't sound poor because of that

Last edited:
I think that these are special chords. There are several more adjoining them, such as D, C, E, EM, F, GM and about 80-90% of all songs play these chords.

But these two chords are the basis of the whole minor sound. It is they who give a romantic coloring to all songs.
Make an am chord on the first fret, but don't use your first finger, use the other three. Then then slide up one fret and bar the fret above with your first finger. Move all the way up the neck like this and if I recall correctly each of those is a minor chord one half note higher with each fret you move up the neck.

• Banned
Make an am chord on the first fret, but don't use your first finger, use the other three. Then then slide up one fret and bar the fret above with your first finger. Move all the way up the neck like this and if I recall correctly each of those is a minor chord one half note higher with each fret you move up the neck.
I meant the first fret, the normal key.

What you're saying applies to all chords, it's the tuning of a 6-string guitar, it's made that way. Therefore, a lot of barre is used there. by holding the capo you change the key, all positions sound the same, only with a change in keys.

Some people pick up the tone for their vocals like that

But it's still not the same

• Banned
And I think that the opinion that the change of key is not of great importance is wrong. This actually has a very strong effect and you may not even recognize the melody if it is performed in a different key.

And I think that the opinion that the change of key is not of great importance is wrong. This actually has a very strong effect and you may not even recognize the melody if it is performed in a different key.
Pros will.

I think that the sound of more than half of the romantic songs is based on these chords. All the juice of the sound of romantic songs is in these consonances. There must be some magic here.

These chords are self sufficient. If there was nothing else, only millions of songs could be performed on them and it would still be interesting

Throw E Minor in there too and you have the "ballad Base."

I've written lots of music and the Am Dm combination is indeed strong especially RnB. But you're not going to write much of a song imo with just 2 chords.

Without them, the sound would have lost at least 50% of expressiveness. And there are a lot of songs that can be played very well with just those 2 chords, it won't sound poor because of that
Challenge accepted. Post a song with only Am and Dm chords.
Good luck! :rolleyes-41:

Forum List

Back