What's more immoral to you, marriage by family members or gay marriage?

Which is worse to you, cousin marriage or gay marriage.

• I find cousin marriage to be worse than gay marriage

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • I find gay marriage to be worse than cousin marriage

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • I have no issue with either.

Votes: 9 40.9%

• Total voters
Cousin marriage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Same-sex marriage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Currently 23 states allow first cousin marriages.

Currently 6 states allow gay marriage.

I would say first cousin marriage, due to the genetic issues it can lead to. Look at what uncle/niece marriage got spain's royal family into:

Charles II: Last Hapsburg King of Spain, whose death led the war of Spanish Sucession.

Charles_II_%281670-80%29.jpg

The state shouldn't endorse gay-marriage, it does so by recognizing gay-marriage and makes it socially acceptable.

close blood relatives sex .. which would include marriage.. should be illegal because of the genetic problem that arise from the offspring.......

The constitution does not discriminate against sex, sexuality or race… We have deeply religious people for that….

Lol, ok you don’t have to be religious to be a bigot.

I'm still wondering where government has the power to define marriage. Certainly there is nothing in the federal Constitution granting such authority. Does any state have the legal right to meddle in the business of marriage? I really don't know but don't see where a consenting relationship between adults, however defined, is any government's business.

Not trying to discourage ppl from posting, but I was trying to talk about the morality of the 2, now the legality.

I'm still wondering where government has the power to define marriage. Certainly there is nothing in the federal Constitution granting such authority. Does any state have the legal right to meddle in the business of marriage? I really don't know but don't see where a consenting relationship between adults, however defined, is any government's business.

I agree, give everyone civil unions in the eyes of the law. Let the churches look after the "marriage" end of it. Then if a church wants to "marry" queers it's up to them and their congregation.

they dont define marriage.....

they define what they will recognize as a marriage.......

I agree, give everyone civil unions in the eyes of the law. Let the churches look after the "marriage" end of it. Then if a church wants to "marry" queers it's up to them and their congregation.

if the federal govenrment has no power to define marriage, what power lets them define civil unions?

a church has always had the right to refuse to marry anyone based on any reason... it will not change with gay marriage.......

and since the word marriage did not even exist until the 14th century, what did they call it before that?

Cousin marriage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Same-sex marriage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Currently 23 states allow first cousin marriages.

Currently 6 states allow gay marriage.

I have no problem with gay marriage. Why should being gay prevent anyone from being married? Sorry, I don't buy into the argument that people choose to be gay. But even if they did, so what? Other than religious doctrine that says it is wrong, there is no good argument against it, especially considering the separation of church and state.

As for the cousin thing, I do not find it immoral as much as I find it to be very unwise, at least if there will be offspring. Now I must admit that a friend of mine married his first cousin a very long time ago. They are still happily married and doing well. However, they realized the potential trouble with having kids and decided against having them.

Fine...I'm still wondering where government has the power to define what they will recognize as a marriage. Same difference really. My point stands.

The government has no authority to recognize, define, or in any way be involved in a marriage or any personal relationship...at least not at the federal level. You might be able to make a case when it comes to immigration into this country - that the government has a right to know your family members and personal relationships are if one is applying for citizenship. But for US citizens, who we choose to partner with is no government's business.

Fine...I'm still wondering where government has the power to define what they will recognize as a marriage. Same difference really. My point stands.

The government has no authority to recognize, define, or in any way be involved in a marriage or any personal relationship...at least not at the federal level. You might be able to make a case when it comes to immigration into this country - that the government has a right to know your family members and personal relationships are if one is applying for citizenship. But for US citizens, who we choose to partner with is no government's business.

if you just want to be partners together thats fine, but marriage creates certain legal rights and obligations that are the juristiction of both the states and the feds. Once you enter into a contract created by the states, which is what marriage is, you open up that relationship to governmental action.

If you dont want the government involved in your relationship, just live and screw together.

Not trying to discourage ppl from posting, but I was trying to talk about the morality of the 2, now the legality.

My idea of morality is that if your are not taking what doesn't belong to you and you have not unnecessarily hurt another, there is nothing you as a consenting adult can engage in that I would consider immoral. NOTHING.

...but marriage creates certain legal rights and obligations that are the juristiction of both the states and the feds. Once you enter into a contract created by the states, which is what marriage is, you open up that relationship to governmental action.

Exactly my point. Government can provide the court system to settle any contractual disputes, be it for a marriage or the merging of two giant corporations. However, the "legal rights and obligations" of which you speak are simply examples of government meddling in personal relationships. There need be NO rights and obligations outside of the contract into which two consenting adults entered and government need not be involved at all except to provide a civil legal system to help to settle any contractual disputes.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back