Whatever happened to "we fight them there, so that we don't have to fight them here"?

I remember when I first joined USMB, having many arguments with Republicans over Bush's wars. "We fight them there so that we don't have to fight them here" was the main excuse for the thousands of brave American lives, limbs and minds destroyed. These were wars that just had to be fought, they said, and I must hate America because I thought we had no business there.

Today I was listening to Rush sounding like the dove of all doves. And of course, the talk radio righties here are in step with Rush and Trump. Now.

Now I'm hearing that we should just let them battle it out themselves, that we have no business being there, that the cost was too great, that we shouldn't be involved in the Middle East.

Funny how things changed when Trump got the nomination.
/——/ Trump ran on getting us out of endless wars and he’s keeping his word. Something you Libs once demanded.

Trump ran on getting us out of endless wars

I would wish that true, and wish that Trump gets credit for it with every bone in my old spent body, and every beat of my old black heart Cell dude

Yet i suspect at this point our military industrialists have influence in Congress far too deep to sway

~S~

Only thing is, while we may have moved our troops out of Syria, they aren't coming home, they are redeploying to Iraq. And, while you may say that is a good thing for the US because we can keep an eye on things over there, it's not. We took troops out of places where they kept our allies safe, and now, most other nations don't really trust us when we say we've got their back, because all they have to do is point to the Kurds and their being attacked by Turkey.

wonderful.....this reeks more and more of a no win situation Biker

~S~

People told Trump it was a bad idea when he brought it up, but he didn't pay them any attention, pulled out and let Turkey attack the Kurds. You're right, it IS a no win situation, and the more Trump screws with it, the worse it gets.

This is true for many but there are still a lot of Republicans afraid that their military donors might lose out. It's also noteworthy that what Trump is doing is pretty minor. I agree with it but it's minor in the big picture. It is sad that something so minor still has so many gnashing their teeth.

That noted and agreed with one also has to note that (D)'s were protesting the wars until Obama won when they either quit protesting or became big war mongers.

I remember when I first joined USMB, having many arguments with Republicans over Bush's wars. "We fight them there so that we don't have to fight them here" was the main excuse for the thousands of brave American lives, limbs and minds destroyed. These were wars that just had to be fought, they said, and I must hate America because I thought we had no business there.

Today I was listening to Rush sounding like the dove of all doves. And of course, the talk radio righties here are in step with Rush and Trump. Now.

Now I'm hearing that we should just let them battle it out themselves, that we have no business being there, that the cost was too great, that we shouldn't be involved in the Middle East.

---------------------------------- what is it , think its 20 years about . I have no problem fighting War but we should go in , kill ALL the enemy and then get the heck out Mac .

Nobody on the right wanted to get into Obama’s wars. You homos can fight those wars on your own.

/——/ Trump ran on getting us out of endless wars and he’s keeping his word. Something you Libs once demanded.

This is a very minor issue. He has promoted larger ones but then slithered off once the war mongers countered the ideas. I agree with this for what it's worth but it's minor. The troops are still deployed.

Equally funny how many on the left become hawks after he got the nomination. Here is the probhlem bullets and bombs can kill the terrorist but they can't kill the ideology that breeds them if you leave the threat grows and eventually makes it's way here but you can't stay forever and no one seems to have a plan on how to combat the terrorist ideology.

we have no business being there, that the cost was too great, that we shouldn't be involved in the Middle East.
Do you have an issue with Republicans taking positions like that? I don't.
Thanks Trump.
My curiosity is about the way Republicans here and elsewhere turned 180 degrees on a dime when Trump took over.

I've never seen anything like the devotion to this guy. That important of an issue, and they roll over like trained dogs.

Turn on a dime? The war in Afghanistan has been going on for 20 years. I was barely out of high school when 9-11 happened.

---------------------------------- what is it , think its 20 years about . I have no problem fighting War but we should go in , kill ALL the enemy and then get the heck out Mac .
-------------------------------------------------------------- and NO building or rebuilding by Americans .

Equally funny how many on the left become hawks after he got the nomination. Here is the probhlem bullets and bombs can kill the terrorist but they can't kill the ideology that breeds them if you leave the threat grows and eventually makes it's way here but you can't stay forever and no one seems to have a plan on how to combat the terrorist ideology.
--------------------------------------- keep the ideology there in the middle east . Don't import the muslims into the USA that are likely to love the ideology and support the 'isis' ideology .

The war in Afghanistan has been going on for 20 years

maybe for the US of A....

I was barely out of high school when 9-11 happened

I was out over 1/4 century

but that doesn't matter

we both saw the country <stop> , just as i saw it happen when JFK was shot

If we come away with some level of introspect as a society , we grow, heal

If not we fester , devolve...

~S~

we have no business being there, that the cost was too great, that we shouldn't be involved in the Middle East.
Do you have an issue with Republicans taking positions like that? I don't.
Thanks Trump.
My curiosity is about the way Republicans here and elsewhere turned 180 degrees on a dime when Trump took over.

I've never seen anything like the devotion to this guy. That important of an issue, and they roll over like trained dogs.

I don't think it's that simple Mac.

I have been making that turn for many years now. We don't fight to win anymore. Going back really to Korea in fact. We try this kinder gentler PC way of fighting, and these things go on nowadays forever.

I was as gung ho as any other Republican after 9/11, and remained so for years. I'm done with it, I don't care whether we stay or go, and going forward the only thing I'm going to support is if we are attacked on our own soil, I will support war. And when I say attacked on our own soil I don't mean terrorist attacks, I mean full scale war by another country directed at us.

The war in Afghanistan has been going on for 20 years

maybe for the US of A....

I was barely out of high school when 9-11 happened

I was out over 1/4 century

but that doesn't matter

we both saw the country <stop> , just as i saw it happen when JFK was shot

If we come away with some level of introspect as a society , we grow, heal

If not we fester , devolve...

~S~

After 9/11 a lot of people got caught up in a sort of patriotic fervor and I can't say I blame them or that I was completely immune. Seemed the entire world was behind us... for a while, anyway... until we squandered all that goodwill by going into Iraq.

I was never on board with us shifting focus like that and frankly part of me questioned the wisdom of a war of revenge against Afghanistan for the actions of a handful of Saudis.

Forum List

Back