Whatever happened to "Republicans"???

Discussion in 'Politics' started by MaggieMae, May 26, 2009.

1. MaggieMae

MaggieMae Reality bits

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,601
    I was looking for a new poll I saw which indicates that only in the South do Republicans continue to attract potential voters based on their dramatic shift away from moderation. I can't find it, so this one will do. If the "new" Republicans (the reinvented conservative idealogues) intend to get their act together and start winning elections, they'd better hurry.

GOP Losses Span Nearly All Demographic Groups

2. Oddball

Oddball BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    What happened is that they appeased, capitulated, and caved to the left for so long, that they became indistinguishable, for all practical purposes, from the left.

They ran exactly the kind of "moderate" presidential candidate all the leftists claim that republicans should run, and they still lost.

And I have yet to see any compelling sensory evidence, despite all the bluster from the left, that the GOP has shifted "hard right".

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  3. Harry Dresden

Harry Dresden Latinum, Plantinum,Silver,Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,699
    back in the early nineties when i was a registered Dem.....i asked myself that same question about the Democrats.....what happened to you guys?....dont recognize ya anymore.....so left them and became an INDY and started thinking for myself.....have never looked back and now cant stand either party....

4. Sarah G

Sarah G When Nothing Goes Right, Go Left Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,018
    Dude, the Religious Right and the Neocon leadership are what happened to the Republican party.

They used to be the fiscal conservatives, they are nowhere to be found anymore. I actually liked them then. Now they are simply nutfringe loonies waiting around for someone to lead them toward some semblence of the party they used to be.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. Oddball

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    I tend to disagree.

The media merely sticks its mics and points its cameras at the evangelical loons, in order to create a boogerman for people to fear and deride.

Remember that dumb twirp from CNN covering the tea parties, who was only seeking out the kookiest people she could find for her interviews??....You think that was the only place that kind of thing goes on??

6. MaggieMae

MaggieMae Reality bits

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,601
    I couldn't have said it better, although I believe the Evangelical Movement now acknowledges that they temporarily forgot who Jesus was.

7. sealybobo

sealybobo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,224
    No one's buying this. What happened is that they finally got full control of government and they did exactly what they always wanted.

Socialize the losses and privatize the profits.
    Break government so they could end social programs for the poor
    Launch a war in the middle east, disaster capitalism.

And the Robber Baron's gobbled up all the $. Did they go too far? Hell no. Heck, you don't even realize they did it. You're stilll blaming the government.

In business, there are always winners and losers. So, who won? When your 401K took a dump and Walllstreet collapsed, where did all that money go? Who won?

The bankers won. And you still side with the GOP who helped the bankers fuck us.

Are the Dems angels? No, but they are way better than the GOP.

You don't make enough money to be a Republican. Do you understand that?

8. sealybobo

sealybobo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,224
    Yea, you do tend to disagree, because you are in denial. The media was deregulated and purchased in the late 90's by mega corporations. Its now a tool for the GOP. Wake up.

Notice how the media doesn't go on and on about whether or not we should try the Bush team for torture? No sir! But they went two weeks talking about Pelosi. Trying to change the conversation/focus.

You don't see it because you tend to not want to see it.

9. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,310
    Maggie, there never was a clear political republican party. Without getting fancy and a bit tongue in cheek, I offer up that what was the so called unified republican party was a hodgepodge of fundies, one issue voters, anti gay, racists, capitalists pigs, crooks and robbers, corporate crooks, anti union, anti humanism, pro prayer in school, militant nutcases, and libertarian children from money with no sense of reality. You still see the last on Redstate, DP, USMB etc. Given this assortment of wackos is it any wonder they did not govern nor lead nor do anything very well? This group still exists as evident everyday right here, but there for a while they got some moderates to buy into their party of NO.

10. Oddball

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    Don't mistake your imbecilic opinions for those of "everyone".

Name just one program for the sainted poooooooooooor, in eight years, that republicans moved to shut down.

Just one.