What Would You Do If You Won The Lottery Jackpot?

I would build a medium sized gated community and select homeowners who are presently on welfare, give them psychological tests and give them a home with the condition that they finish school, go through financial matters classes and take unplanned drug tests. I would include mandatory parenting classes. Once they are solvent and have jobs that qualify for good credit, they would "graduate" from the help and go out on their own, making room for another disadvantaged family.

I'd keep $5-$10 million, give some money to my mother and brother so they never have to worry again, and give the rest away. That would be a blast.

I always thought if I won such a large amount, I'd set up a system that would provide for others in a 'year-round Christmas' idea to help them out......but I wouldn't stand on the street corner throwing cash for all to grab.

I like the idea of paying off Christmas layaways. These are people who are really working hard, saving a few dollars each week and making an effort for Christmas.

That is true, though I was thinking more along the lines of people that have faced some type of disaster (loss of home, devastating accident or illness, victim of a crime or other serious financial loss or impact) and help get them set up...….with the provision of them paying it back, as they are able, in order to keep that 'fund' going to provide for others.
Depending on the circumstances, there will be some that won't be able to, and for others that could.

:clap2: This. People I encounter who were honest, trying, but just in unlucky circumstances would start to find doors opening for them and never know who did it.
That would be fun... big time... :2up:

It's great to see that people all feel being generous to the less fortunate is something they'd do.

Just goes to show, it doesn't matter what your political affiliation is, helping people is always a good thing.

I already donate what I can afford to the ASPCA, the DAV and to our village, etc, once and awhile, but I if won the lottery, those places would see a windfall.

I would hire a team of researchers...to research the researchers...that are being paid by the zillion cancer charities...to research the cure for cancer.

Does that make sense?

Id probably shovel 12% or so into the less fortunates plights in some way that I could guarantee would be effective.

Id start a two-fold business...a business dedicated to bettering humanity in some small way that will also double as an income generator for my family for generations.

And id have a LOTTA fuckin fun.

Buy a house away from California. See that my son was secure. Give some money away to animal charities. Live comfortably.

I'd keep $5-$10 million, give some money to my mother and brother so they never have to worry again, and give the rest away. That would be a blast.

I always thought if I won such a large amount, I'd set up a system that would provide for others in a 'year-round Christmas' idea to help them out......but I wouldn't stand on the street corner throwing cash for all to grab.

I like the idea of paying off Christmas layaways. These are people who are really working hard, saving a few dollars each week and making an effort for Christmas.

That is true, though I was thinking more along the lines of people that have faced some type of disaster (loss of home, devastating accident or illness, victim of a crime or other serious financial loss or impact) and help get them set up...….with the provision of them paying it back, as they are able, in order to keep that 'fund' going to provide for others.
Depending on the circumstances, there will be some that won't be able to, and for others that could.

Programs which are really successful are small business incubators. I worked with one when I was trying to start a kids' activewear company. The incubator I worked with provided office space, and secretarial, bookkeeping, and other office services to the companies it was assisting. The incubator was affiliated with a government income support program for new businesses, and included a mandatory university level business management and marketing course for all participants.

Some incubators make small loans ($1000 - $5000) to help the self employed acquire equipment, or other seed capital expenses. As with all new business ideas, there is a high failure rate, but those who went through the supported incubator programs had a 50% higher success rate of random start ups, after two years.

It's great to see that people all feel being generous to the less fortunate is something they'd do.

Just goes to show, it doesn't matter what your political affiliation is, helping people is always a good thing.

That actually seriously disappoints me. In my case there would be no charity or philanthropy. Society has fucked me over for decades; there is no chance my good fortune would be allowed to benefit them.

I already donate what I can afford to the ASPCA, the DAV and to our village, etc, once and awhile, but I if won the lottery, those places would see a windfall.

Well said, well said indeed. :thup:

When I was a toddler I had a children's book that claimed "Indian" spirituality said that when you die, the Judgment question put to you is, "how many were made happier because you were born?". It may have been made up for a children's book but it felt right and I've always tried to live by it.

With such a wad of cash I might even spring for a psychiatrist for the post before this one.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
First would be to call a lawyer familiar with trusts.

With his help, I would set up the Superior Harmony International Trust to claim the winnings.

Then...I'd probably go out for a good steak dinner.

Well said, well said indeed. :thup:

When I was a toddler I had a children's book that claimed "Indian" spirituality said that when you die, the Judgment question put to you is, "how many were made happier because you were born?". It may have been made up for a children's book but it felt right and I've always tried to live by it.

With such a wad of cash I might even spring for a psychiatrist for the post before this one.
Waste of time...he just needs a good lobotomist.

That actually seriously disappoints me. In my case there would be no charity or philanthropy. Society has fucked me over for decades; there is no chance my good fortune would be allowed to benefit them.
That is one very sad statement. How has society screwed you over?

How would you go about helping the homeless....I have often thought about that process........just setting up shelters isn't enough to make them capable of standing up on their own.......I would use that money to try to find a way to do that....

There's a really successful program operating in British Columbia which starts out by getting the homeless housed. They start with a small apartment, but just having access to a bathroom, and the physical safety of being off the street, and removing the entire daily stress of where to eat, sleep and bath, allows them to focus on how they got there in the first place.

Most street people have serious health issues which aren't being addressed, and are being made worse by their living situation. Once the basic survival issues are dealt with, health issues come next. They may be in need of detox, or help with other forms of substance abuse. The homeless will need support in dealing with the complexities of the medical system, appointments and testing necessary for underlying physiological problems, and ensuring they follow through with medications and treatment.

Reconnecting these people with family, or even just socially with their neighbours and community. With a home and better health, the individual is now ready to deal with the problems that lead to their breakdown, and can start to restore themselves to a productive life, volunteer work, and finally, a job. Anything to help people make connections, and friends, so there are those who they can connect with, who help look out for them.

As an older person, who has had one heart attack, I have a friend who contacts me every morning at 10:00 am. I have children who contact me several times a week, friends I have lunch with on a weekly basis. I have connections to my family, my chuch, my community. I volunteer at my local library, visit shut-ins, and enjoy gardening, in summer. Just the restoration of a home, a phone, and your health, means you now have the ability to live a normal life.

The group that runs this program said they started out working with the homeless by helping them get cleaned up, medical treatment, find jobs all leading to getting them off the streets and out of the shelters. What they discovered was that if they housed the homeless as the first step, instead of the last, the other steps went more quickly, and their success rate was much higher, so they changed their approach.

How would you go about helping the homeless....I have often thought about that process........just setting up shelters isn't enough to make them capable of standing up on their own.......I would use that money to try to find a way to do that....

There's a really successful program operating in British Columbia which starts out by getting the homeless housed. They start with a small apartment, but just having access to a bathroom, and the physical safety of being off the street, and removing the entire daily stress of where to eat, sleep and bath, allows them to focus on how they got there in the first place.

Most street people have serious health issues which aren't being addressed, and are being made worse by their living situation. Once the basic survival issues are dealt with, health issues come next. They may be in need of detox, or help with other forms of substance abuse. The homeless will need support in dealing with the complexities of the medical system, appointments and testing necessary for underlying physiological problems, and ensuring they follow through with medications and treatment.

Reconnecting these people with family, or even just socially with their neighbours and community. With a home and better health, the individual is now ready to deal with the problems that lead to their breakdown, and can start to restore themselves to a productive life, volunteer work, and finally, a job. Anything to help people make connections, and friends, so there are those who they can connect with, who help look out for them.

As an older person, who has had one heart attack, I have a friend who contacts me every morning at 10:00 am. I have children who contact me several times a week, friends I have lunch with on a weekly basis. I have connections to my family, my chuch, my community. I volunteer at my local library, visit shut-ins, and enjoy gardening, in summer. Just the restoration of a home, a phone, and your health, means you now have the ability to live a normal life.

The group that runs this program said they started out working with the homeless by helping them get cleaned up, medical treatment, find jobs all leading to getting them off the streets and out of the shelters. What they discovered was that if they housed the homeless as the first step, instead of the last, the other steps went more quickly, and their success rate was much higher, so they changed their approach.
That sounds like a worthwhile project. I hope you win!

Sounds about right........ long term help is the only way to really help.

Have business cards made up... Wait for the phone to ring...

e00ff50ada5f8ac207bee14d37316ab0

That's sound great, but you can't help someone that doesn't want to help themselves. I'll all for helping people that will benefit from help, but there would have to be a way to weed out the bad apples. You just can't help "everyone." Some don't want it, some won't appreciate it, and some will just game the system and figure being helped is a way of life. People do need to learn, and want to, stand on their own two feet.

Forum List

Back