What Would You Do If You Won The Lottery Jackpot?

After taking care of family and charities.....I would be accepting the applications of fashion and lingerie models for the position of Mrs. 2aguy.......

After taking care of family and charities.....I would be accepting the applications of fashion and lingerie models for the position of Mrs. 2aguy.......
... and they'd be lined up for miles if you won $314,000,000.00 ... :lol:

How would you go about helping the homeless....I have often thought about that process........just setting up shelters isn't enough to make them capable of standing up on their own.......I would use that money to try to find a way to do that....

There's a really successful program operating in British Columbia which starts out by getting the homeless housed. They start with a small apartment, but just having access to a bathroom, and the physical safety of being off the street, and removing the entire daily stress of where to eat, sleep and bath, allows them to focus on how they got there in the first place.

Most street people have serious health issues which aren't being addressed, and are being made worse by their living situation. Once the basic survival issues are dealt with, health issues come next. They may be in need of detox, or help with other forms of substance abuse. The homeless will need support in dealing with the complexities of the medical system, appointments and testing necessary for underlying physiological problems, and ensuring they follow through with medications and treatment.

Reconnecting these people with family, or even just socially with their neighbours and community. With a home and better health, the individual is now ready to deal with the problems that lead to their breakdown, and can start to restore themselves to a productive life, volunteer work, and finally, a job. Anything to help people make connections, and friends, so there are those who they can connect with, who help look out for them.

As an older person, who has had one heart attack, I have a friend who contacts me every morning at 10:00 am. I have children who contact me several times a week, friends I have lunch with on a weekly basis. I have connections to my family, my chuch, my community. I volunteer at my local library, visit shut-ins, and enjoy gardening, in summer. Just the restoration of a home, a phone, and your health, means you now have the ability to live a normal life.

The group that runs this program said they started out working with the homeless by helping them get cleaned up, medical treatment, find jobs all leading to getting them off the streets and out of the shelters. What they discovered was that if they housed the homeless as the first step, instead of the last, the other steps went more quickly, and their success rate was much higher, so they changed their approach.
That's sound great, but you can't help someone that doesn't want to help themselves. I'll all for helping people that will benefit from help, but there would have to be a way to weed out the bad apples. You just can't help "everyone." Some don't want it, some won't appreciate it, and some will just game the system and figure being helped is a way of life. People do need to learn, and want to, stand on their own two feet.
I agree. That's why I suggested psych testing.

... and they'd be lined up for miles if you won $314,000,000.00 ... :lol:

Yes....but I am sure they would all be there because they know I am a really good person....

After setting up my trust and claiming the money, I would do something weird: have the appropriate people contact Hasbro, Gail Carpenter Gygax, and Francine Morneau (Dave Arenson's widow). Buy the rights to all pre-3rd Edition AD&D material from Hasbro, and all Gary Gygax's notes and personal stuff from Gail Gygax...re-release all the 1e and 2e stuff, as downloadable pdf files and probably work a deal with Black Blade for P-O-D reprints.

All Gary's stuff goes to Troll Lord Games, so Castle Zagyg...excuse me, Castle Greyhawk can be completed at last.

How would you go about helping the homeless....I have often thought about that process........just setting up shelters isn't enough to make them capable of standing up on their own.......I would use that money to try to find a way to do that....

There's a really successful program operating in British Columbia which starts out by getting the homeless housed. They start with a small apartment, but just having access to a bathroom, and the physical safety of being off the street, and removing the entire daily stress of where to eat, sleep and bath, allows them to focus on how they got there in the first place.

Most street people have serious health issues which aren't being addressed, and are being made worse by their living situation. Once the basic survival issues are dealt with, health issues come next. They may be in need of detox, or help with other forms of substance abuse. The homeless will need support in dealing with the complexities of the medical system, appointments and testing necessary for underlying physiological problems, and ensuring they follow through with medications and treatment.

Reconnecting these people with family, or even just socially with their neighbours and community. With a home and better health, the individual is now ready to deal with the problems that lead to their breakdown, and can start to restore themselves to a productive life, volunteer work, and finally, a job. Anything to help people make connections, and friends, so there are those who they can connect with, who help look out for them.

As an older person, who has had one heart attack, I have a friend who contacts me every morning at 10:00 am. I have children who contact me several times a week, friends I have lunch with on a weekly basis. I have connections to my family, my chuch, my community. I volunteer at my local library, visit shut-ins, and enjoy gardening, in summer. Just the restoration of a home, a phone, and your health, means you now have the ability to live a normal life.

The group that runs this program said they started out working with the homeless by helping them get cleaned up, medical treatment, find jobs all leading to getting them off the streets and out of the shelters. What they discovered was that if they housed the homeless as the first step, instead of the last, the other steps went more quickly, and their success rate was much higher, so they changed their approach.
That's sound great, but you can't help someone that doesn't want to help themselves. I'll all for helping people that will benefit from help, but there would have to be a way to weed out the bad apples. You just can't help "everyone." Some don't want it, some won't appreciate it, and some will just game the system and figure being helped is a way of life. People do need to learn, and want to, stand on their own two feet.

Spoken like a true conservative. We must not help the WRONG people. The problem is that with very damaged people, there is a lot of relapsing. When you talk about gun control, you frequently say gun control laws won't stop all gun murders, and you're right. Gun control laws won't stop ALL killings. But it will stop most of them.

The relapse rate for drug and alcohol abuse is 40 - 60%. I know families who have done everything conceivable to get their loved ones the help and treatment they needed, and they've ended up back on the streets, or worse dead. Drug addicts are more likely to OD after a stint in rehab or a long period of sobriety. That's because they've cleaned up and their last dosage was based on their built up tolerance.

Your psychological testing would be a waste of money. It's not doing to tell you who is more likely to succeed. The Vancouver group said that those who seemed the worst off, and the least likely to benefit, actually had the most success. Those who are coping poorly with the stresses of homelessness, may be the most responsive to the freedom from that stress.

Many of the homeless had mental illlnesses that required medication taken consistently, and once they were properly medicated, they got on track quickly, but the temptation to stop taking the medications once stabilized is always there. Trying to limit your investment to those with the best chance of success, is a fool's errand.

The best programs have a 50% success rate. Many would consider that half the money was being wasted because the recipients failed to get off the street permanently. I'm overjoyed that half of those helped, made the permanent leap back into society.

The other half of that are the addicts...drugs or alcohol...….more often than not, they relapse....multiple times. Some eventually get it, and get clean.....sooner or later. Then there are others that may never get it.

There would have to be certain rules and limits to what or how much can be provided...….or you could spend the whole fortune on a few that never 'get' it.

Spoken like a true conservative. We must not help the WRONG people. The problem is that with very damaged people, there is a lot of relapsing. When you talk about gun control, you frequently say gun control laws won't stop all gun murders, and you're right. Gun control laws won't stop ALL killings. But it will stop most of them.

The relapse rate for drug and alcohol abuse is 40 - 60%. I know families who have done everything conceivable to get their loved ones the help and treatment they needed, and they've ended up back on the streets, or worse dead. Drug addicts are more likely to OD after a stint in rehab or a long period of sobriety. That's because they've cleaned up and their last dosage was based on their built up tolerance.

Your psychological testing would be a waste of money. It's not doing to tell you who is more likely to succeed. The Vancouver group said that those who seemed the worst off, and the least likely to benefit, actually had the most success. Those who are coping poorly with the stresses of homelessness, may be the most responsive to the freedom from that stress.

Many of the homeless had mental illlnesses that required medication taken consistently, and once they were properly medicated, they got on track quickly, but the temptation to stop taking the medications once stabilized is always there. Trying to limit your investment to those with the best chance of success, is a fool's errand.

The best programs have a 50% success rate. Many would consider that half the money was being wasted because the recipients failed to get off the street permanently. I'm overjoyed that half of those helped, made the permanent leap back into society.

As in post #48......you'd have to set rules and limits......or you could blow your whole fortune trying to save a few, that keep relapsing.

The other half of that are the addicts...drugs or alcohol...….more often than not, they relapse....multiple times. Some eventually get it, and get clean.....sooner or later. Then there are others that may never get it.

There would have to be certain rules and limits to what or how much can be provided...….or you could spend the whole fortune on a few that never 'get' it.

A lot of these folks are disabled, either physically or mentally, and simply cannot navigate the support systems set up for them. They need help with the help. The need help accessing the medical system as well as Medicare/Medicaid, to get the medications they need, or SS for the disabiilty pensions they're entitled to. They lack the ability to advocate for the needs effectively. Once they're cleaned up with access to steady income and health care, they can basically self-correct.

Workers said that in Canada, the average cost per rehabilitation was $10,000, including rent and income supports until income was stabilized through benefits or employment, but bear in mind that government funded health care covered all of the medical costs, and there were more income supports available than the USA. The program was one of the cheapest homeless programs they had ever run. But these were professional welfare and programs professionals who could efficiently connect the participants with the help networks they needed.

^^^ I've been giving to them since 2008, but coming into a mountain load of money would only mean more that I can give to them. :) :) :)

God bless you and the kids who are there always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

My death benefit trust would be distributed to animal welfare groups around the world. I would have a stipulation that not one cent be used for human beings.

I'm not a constant player because the odds are so horrible, but the fact remains, you can't win if you don't play, and someone is going to win, and even though the odds are so bad, you're odds of winning are the same as everyone else's.

The Mega Millions is up to $314M, and that's usually when I get interested and play. So, question is, what would you do if you won that much money?

For me, I think the smartest thing to do as far as family is concerned is give them a one time lump sum to pay off whatever, and then set up a trust fund for them so whatever else you decided to give them would at least earn interest.

Far as myself, I'd immediately go full bore looking into ways to make money with money. I wouldn't just sit back and do nothing thinking I was going to live off it for the rest of my life. I'd want that money to last in my family forever.

First thing is go to the lawyer in the family and tell them they are now in charge of figuring out the best way to collect the money, i.e. reducing tax burden.

I would assume it would be a Trust that would pay off the taxes up front. Then I would take a 50% stake in the trust myself, and split the other 50% between my divorced parents and my two siblings.

The Ex-wife would get a one off payment of $500k just to get rid of her.

After that anyone else who wants $$ from me has to give reasons and justifications for it to my 100 year old grandfather who will become the gatekeeper to the trusts giving portion.

I'm not a constant player because the odds are so horrible, but the fact remains, you can't win if you don't play, and someone is going to win, and even though the odds are so bad, you're odds of winning are the same as everyone else's.

The Mega Millions is up to $314M, and that's usually when I get interested and play. So, question is, what would you do if you won that much money?

For me, I think the smartest thing to do as far as family is concerned is give them a one time lump sum to pay off whatever, and then set up a trust fund for them so whatever else you decided to give them would at least earn interest.

Far as myself, I'd immediately go full bore looking into ways to make money with money. I wouldn't just sit back and do nothing thinking I was going to live off it for the rest of my life. I'd want that money to last in my family forever.

I'd buy the presidency!

Let’s see...after I win a huge lottery...

1. Confide the news solely to CPA/tax expert(s) in order to circumvent the IRS to the fullest extent of the law.

2. Departing the house for the NetJet awaiting me at the airport, tell the bride I’m going to the store and be right back.

I'd be on the first plane to Vegas

Double or nothing!!

First thing I'd do is get the money out of the reach of the US government. Then acquire a few choice properties across some of my favorite global locales. Probably spend most of my time where my dollars have exponentially more purchasing power.

Simple, set aside 12 million dollars and issue myself 20k a month for fifty years...

( I would be in my 100's by the time I spent that money )

If I can not live off that then I am living beyond my means...

The rest I would start a charity where I pay for poor children schooling and feed the poor in my community.

That should keep me busy enough...

Forum List

Back