What would you do if you won the lottery but lost the ticket?

barryqwalsh

Gold Member
Sep 30, 2014
Wash-day blues

Lottery-icket_3557038e.jpg

Nat Patel, owner of Ambleside newsagent in Worcester

A woman claims that she bought a winning lottery ticket but accidentally washed it when she left it in a pair of jeans. The ticket now has the winning numbers but not the date, bar code or serial number. Camelot has to decide if it believes her story.

History is full of cases of lottery near-misses. In 2013 Erick Onyango and Salvatore Cambria looked up the numbers on the New Jersey Lottery Commission website and thought they had lost – so they threw their ticket in the bin. Only later did they discover that the Commission hadn’t yet updated the page. They had binned $1 million. And Martyn and Kay Tott, who threw away their UK lottery ticket in 2001, could do nothing to melt the judges’ heart. They “lost” over £3 million.

Despite the good causes the lottery supports, for most participants it is not the taking part that counts. Only the winning really matters. If the story is true about the spin cycle, the nation will be willing Camelot to find in the woman’s favour. Most of us have made plans for what we would do if we won the lottery, but what would we do if we won yet lost the ticket? Go mad, probably.

Wash-day blues

2016-01-25_iri_16342854_I1.JPG

The woman who claims she put her £33m UK lottery jackpot-winning ticket through the wash has been identified as a divorced German grandmother who has already been inundated with begging letters.
Susanne Hinte (48) is said to have been in "floods of tears" since apparently discovering that she had picked the winning numbers and will now have to wait until July to hear whether lottery operator Camelot will pay out her win, valued at €43.4m.

Ms Hinte, who lives in a rented, three-bedroom semi-detached home in Warndon, Worcester - one mile from Ambleside News where she claims she bought the golden ticket - is said to have not slept since finding it in the pocket of her newly washed jeans.

Her daughter Natasha Douglas (28), a shop assistant at Morrisons, said her mother, who has a heart condition, was far from celebrating.

Woman in tears after washing £33m lottery ticket - Independent.ie

Crackpot or jackpot? Even German Sue's ex doesn't believe she's got the £33m winning Lotto ticket

02_26003627_fadf86_2657334a.jpg

THE gran who claims she put her £33million Lotto ticket in the wash was facing mounting questions from doubting pals and family last night.

Some were asking why Susanne Hinte, 48, failed to show off her ticket after realising her numbers matched those in the mega jackpot draw. Even her estranged husband cast doubt on her Lotto claims.

One neighbour said: “Sue is a clever girl, but claiming to have a ticket with the barcode washed off is a bit much.”

Estranged husband Nick Scott says he is “praying” she has won £33million — but he added: “I’ll believe it when I see it.”

Roofer Nick, 39, was married to Susanne for a decade and though they split six years ago they never divorced.

Dortmund-born Susanne, known as German Sue, has sent her ticket with the winning numbers to Lotto organisers Camelot.

She claims it was in her jeans pocket when she put them in the washing machine, rubbing off the barcode, date and serial number.

Nick told The Sun: “I have to say it sounds too good to be true.

“I’m still in touch with Sue as our lad lives with his mum but I just don’t know the truth.

“I’m hoping and praying she’s the winner. We never divorced so technically I could put a claim in for half. But she’s already told me she’ll look after me and the kids.”

Nick said Susanne had refused to show him a photo she took of the winning ticket.

He said: “If she’s got a photo it seems a bit weird to me no one else has seen it.

“But I can’t see why she’d put herself through all this stress if it’s not true.”

Susanne lives in Warndon, Worcs, close to the Ambleside newsagent where the golden ticket was sold. Public records have her listed under four aliases.

Yesterday she said on Facebook: “Not once have I said I have the winning ticket.

“The ticket did have the winning numbers on it. Camelot will do the checks so as it stands nobody knows if it’s the winner.”

Camelot said 400 people have come forward to claim they have lost the winning ticket. It added if no one produced the winning ticket in 180 days, it could make a payout at its discretion.

Crackpot or jackpot? Even German Sue's ex doesn't believe she's got the £33m winning Lotto ticket

Forum List

Back