What was the most extravacant item you bought for yourself??

Abbey Normal said:
Well it's Bonnie's thread, but I say go on and give us a whole list. :rock:

Ditto that Abbey...I want to feel better about my splurge, especially when my mother sees it and asks how much I paid and I either have to come clean, lie, or do smoke and mirrors... :tng:

Abbey Normal said:
True, true. That is why I would not consider a house or a car extravagant. I use those all the time.

And are necessities of life unless you live in or near a bus stop :D

I would say my 99 Monte Carlo z34, but I technically no longer 'own' it as my mom & sister are buying it by monthly payments. But when I bought it, it was my 21st birthday gift to myself and I drove it for 3 years.

The next thing would probably be...dunno...my tattoo maybe? $120 total...or could be the red Ralph Lauren cotton sheets and pillows, but that wasn't really for myself only. I got duplicate pot&pan sets for my wedding and I exchanged the more expensive version for store credit and bought the sheet set.

other than my tattoo, I haven't spent more than $25-30 (if even that much) at a time (meaning at least once a month or more) on myself only in the last 4 years. Everything else is more of a shared purchase, like the 400-disc DVD player, my laptop, the new printer, etc. I feel guilty spending all that money on myself unless it will last more than a few moments or I can share it with my family in some way. Plus I would rather buy things to share with my family because I am not materialistic and never have been. If I buy stuff for myself at all, it is usually a few dollars on Godiva chocolates or something like that, just a simple indulgence that won't break the bank.

Abbey Normal said:
There's that word: necessities. My husband always asks me "Do you need it?"

Silly man; what does need have to do with shopping?

He must be flogged :slap: :)

fuzzykitten99 said:
I would say my 99 Monte Carlo z34, but I technically no longer 'own' it as my mom & sister are buying it by monthly payments. But when I bought it, it was my 21st birthday gift to myself and I drove it for 3 years.

The next thing would probably be...dunno...my tattoo maybe? $120 total...or could be the red Ralph Lauren cotton sheets and pillows, but that wasn't really for myself only. I got duplicate pot&pan sets for my wedding and I exchanged the more expensive version for store credit and bought the sheet set.

other than my tattoo, I haven't spent more than $25-30 (if even that much) at a time (meaning at least once a month or more) on myself only in the last 4 years. Everything else is more of a shared purchase, like the 400-disc DVD player, my laptop, the new printer, etc. I feel guilty spending all that money on myself unless it will last more than a few moments or I can share it with my family in some way. Plus I would rather buy things to share with my family because I am not materialistic and never have been. If I buy stuff for myself at all, it is usually a few dollars on Godiva chocolates or something like that, just a simple indulgence that won't break the bank.

You have a 400 disc dvd player??? :eek2: :laugh:

Abbey Normal said:
You are sooo right.

He is sitting right here, so I just told him what you posted, and he is laughing. :beer:

He has to know by now that you never ask a woman if she needs something!!!! :teeth:

fuzzykitten99 said:
yes...it was actually Tim's idea, though. I like it though, because it beats getting up to change movies, since we have over 200, and most are multi-disc, including the Simpsons, seasons 1-6 (have yet to buy #7).

I didn't even know those existed... I need to get me one now!! :thanks:

fuzzykitten99 said:
but it could maybe be the TYPE of car. most people could easily get by with something less expensive than what they have, but most people will buy the best they can afford, for that extra feeling of success and/or comfort.

True, but it's still a useful purchase, of you actually drive it. I suppose that for someone like Jay Leno who has about 20 cars(?), they are an extravagance. True extravagance to me is something expensive that you rarely use, or something that is basically just for show.

Anwya, Bonnie and I need to take you out for a truly decadent shopping trip! :thup:

Bonnie said:
I didn't even know those existed... I need to get me one now!! :thanks:
we didn't either until about 3 years ago when Tim's dad went and bought a 300 disc dvd player. We were at Circuit City last spring and saw the 400 disc one on sale for less than Tim's dad paid for his 300, so we bought it. Pretty good $400 investment because it helps avoid handling the discs, thus scratch-free movies, no need to have 200+ cases stored nearby. Ours are all boxed up in storage.

Abbey Normal said:
True, but it's still a useful purchase, of you actually drive it. I suppose that for someone like Jay Leno who has about 20 cars(?), they are an extravagance. True extravagance to me is something expensive that you rarely use, or something that is basically just for show.

Anwya, Bonnie and I need to take you out for a truly decadent shopping trip! :thup:

I would LOVE to have some of the cars he has. Especially the muscle cars. I will one day have my own 88 Monte Carlo SS to enter in shows. It is just a matter of time...

As for shopping...I would love to do that, at the same time though, even if I won the Powerball, I still would have a hard time spending a ton on myself only, just because I have always been a 'giver', and don't care too much about material gifts for myself. I prefer someone to do something for me or buy something I can use more than a few times and doesn't collect dust. I like to buy stuff for others or to share, just because it is more fun that way. Even Tim says I don't spend enough on myself and he would like to see me do it more often.

fuzzykitten99 said:
I would LOVE to have some of the cars he has. Especially the muscle cars. I will one day have my own 88 Monte Carlo SS to enter in shows. It is just a matter of time...

As for shopping...I would love to do that, at the same time though, even if I won the Powerball, I still would have a hard time spending a ton on myself only, just because I have always been a 'giver', and don't care too much about material gifts for myself. I prefer someone to do something for me or buy something I can use more than a few times and doesn't collect dust. I like to buy stuff for others or to share, just because it is more fun that way. Even Tim says I don't spend enough on myself and he would like to see me do it more often.

Keeper alert! :thup:

Forum List

Back