What Was Jimmy Carter's Greatest Achievement?

Carter was presdient for 4 years. He signed many pieces of legislation and made many orders. What is he remembered for today? I can think of the Iran hostage crisis, Desert One, the malaise speech, and mandatory draft registration (I was in the first year of those who had to register). Other than that, not much.

Bonus: What will Obama be remembered for?

He actually started modernizing the US military

Unfortunately, he threw Iran over to the Islamists

Jimmy had a cool brother who made terrible beer.

But to the point. Jimmy taught us how weakness from a military perspective can cause others to form aggression against us. Iran had zero respect for Carter and knew the minute Ronnie took the COM that Iran would be immediatley turned to dust

Amazing the response you get from not just rouge nations, but weak criminal thugs alike when staring down the barrel is the consequence for their actions.

Thus they retreat

Good times

-Geaux

BS. At the time we were great at fighting big wars. We didn't have a rapid deployment force that could respond to events a half a world away. Guess who recommended that we get one? Raygun had nothing to do with the negotiations. The delay in the release was a slap in the face to Carter, not out of fear of anything the corporate shill Ronnie would do.

Rapid Deployment Force, United States (Peter Antill)

Throughout the 1970's, American attention gradually focused on the Persian Gulf. The policy shifted towards a willingness to use military force in the area "as a diplomatic signal, if not yet as a full-blooded counter-intervention force" and a gradual expansion of facilities. However, the Yom Kippur war of 1973, the US / Soviet confrontation and the oil embargo of 1974 which led to an American warning "that American military intervention to protect vital oil supplies" [note 1] was a possibility, served to increase attention on the area as being vital to US national interests and by the mid--1970's "the United States once again began to contemplate the use of military force. . . . to ensure the flow of oil to the West."[note 2] With the new Carter Administration elected, the new President signed Presidential Review Memorandum (PRM) 10, which undertook a evaluation of US strategy. In response to the recommendations, the President signed Presidential Directive (PD) 18 on August 24th 1977. One of the main proposals laid the basis for the rapid deployment force - and in 1978, two Army divisions (82nd and 101st) and one Marine division were earmarked for such duties. There were however no substantial funds allocated and it remained a paper exercise. There were four basic reasons why the move to a Rapid Deployment Force was so slow in the 1970'

Apparently Geaux went to the Marvel Comics school of world diplomacy where duh sheriff guns down duh bad guise in duh street in front of duh saloon. :rolleyes:

Far out!

-Geaux

"Far out" a slang term from the seventies. What else are you hiding in your lexicon? "keep on truckin?", "Bitchin?" "Don't Bogart?"

th

But to the point. Jimmy taught us how weakness from a military perspective can cause others to form aggression against us. Iran had zero respect for Carter and knew the minute Ronnie took the COM that Iran would be immediatley turned to dust

Amazing the response you get from not just rouge nations, but weak criminal thugs alike when staring down the barrel is the consequence for their actions.

Thus they retreat

Good times

-Geaux

BS. At the time we were great at fighting big wars. We didn't have a rapid deployment force that could respond to events a half a world away. Guess who recommended that we get one? Raygun had nothing to do with the negotiations. The delay in the release was a slap in the face to Carter, not out of fear of anything the corporate shill Ronnie would do.

Throughout the 1970's, American attention gradually focused on the Persian Gulf. The policy shifted towards a willingness to use military force in the area "as a diplomatic signal, if not yet as a full-blooded counter-intervention force" and a gradual expansion of facilities. However, the Yom Kippur war of 1973, the US / Soviet confrontation and the oil embargo of 1974 which led to an American warning "that American military intervention to protect vital oil supplies" [note 1] was a possibility, served to increase attention on the area as being vital to US national interests and by the mid--1970's "the United States once again began to contemplate the use of military force. . . . to ensure the flow of oil to the West."[note 2] With the new Carter Administration elected, the new President signed Presidential Review Memorandum (PRM) 10, which undertook a evaluation of US strategy. In response to the recommendations, the President signed Presidential Directive (PD) 18 on August 24th 1977. One of the main proposals laid the basis for the rapid deployment force - and in 1978, two Army divisions (82nd and 101st) and one Marine division were earmarked for such duties. There were however no substantial funds allocated and it remained a paper exercise. There were four basic reasons why the move to a Rapid Deployment Force was so slow in the 1970'

Apparently Geaux went to the Marvel Comics school of world diplomacy where duh sheriff guns down duh bad guise in duh street in front of duh saloon. :rolleyes:

Far out!

-Geaux

"Far out" a slang term from the seventies. What else are you hiding in your lexicon? "keep on truckin?", "Bitchin?" "Don't Bogart?"

th

LOL

Thus they retreat

Good times

-Geaux

Far out!

-Geaux

Typical response closure which happens when - at a minimum- one lacks an arguable response.

-Geaux

Well, I could say that the response needed to be brought up to date it seems stuck in the past.

Carter was presdient for 4 years. He signed many pieces of legislation and made many orders. What is he remembered for today? I can think of the Iran hostage crisis, Desert One, the malaise speech, and mandatory draft registration (I was in the first year of those who had to register). Other than that, not much.

Carter did not have a great Presidency but he did get the Egypt - Israel peace treaty which was a pretty big deal and is still in place today got to give him credit for that.

Far out!

-Geaux

Typical response closure which happens when - at a minimum- one lacks an arguable response.

-Geaux

Well, I could say that the response needed to be brought up to date it seems stuck in the past.

It's cool man. I like, dug the jazz the cat was puttin' down. it was like outtasite, you dig?

Carter: Peace between Israel and Egypt.

Obama: It's too early to say.

Getting his ass handed to him by an actor.

Actually one achievement which shoudl sicken GOP...

He had the Debt to GDP ratio the lowest since 1930's before the Regan drunken sailor came:
debt_percent_gdp_large.gif

Creating more debt than every president before him combined, withough ever getting a budget passed.

Hey be careful...

They start to attack when you tell this kind of FACT!!

There are a LOT of facts to go around

"In February 2001, Republican President George W. Bush stated:

Many of you have talked about the need to pay down our national debt. I listened, and I agree. We owe it to our children and grandchildren to act now, and I hope you will join me to pay down $2 trillion in debt during the next 10 years. At the end of those 10 years, we will have paid down all the debt that is available to retire. That is more debt, repaid more quickly than has ever been repaid by any nation at any time in history.

* From the time that Congress enacted Bush's first major economic proposal (June 2001) until the time that he left office (January 2009), the national debt rose from 53% of GDP to 74%, or an average of 2.7 percentage points per year.

* During eight years in office, President Bush vetoed 12 bills, four of which were overridden by Congress and thus enacted without his approval. These bills were projected by the Congressional Budget Office to increase the deficit by $26 billion during 2008-2022"

(psst: still Carter's fault)

This is a silly post because the OP believes that virtually every Democratic president will be remembered for something bad. [The OP isn't asking for a discussion so much as he is participating in an old Republican pastime - Carter bashing]

I think Carter will be remembered for advancing deregulation - both in communications and transportation. He was far more centrist fiscally than an earlier generation of Democrats.

Carter will also be remembered for spending far less than Reagan, and accumulating only a 3rd of Reagan's debt. You should read Tip O'neill's comments about both men when it came to spending. Tip was speaker of the house under both, and as a Democrat he & Carter managed to spend next to nothing compared to Reagan, who forced Tip to pay for things like Star Wars and hire 3x the number of government workers.

He will be remembered for the return of the Panama Canal, improving relations with China (which Nixon started) and the Camp David Accords (Israel/Egypt).

He will be remembered for mismanaging the hostage crisis, but he will also be remembered for being tougher on Iran than Reagan (whose administration negotiated with Iran behind closed doors for 6 years). He will be remembered for the Carter Doctrine, which advocated military force against any state actor in the middle east who compromised US assets in the region.

He will be remembered for confronting Moscow on their human rights violations (which he did against the advice of rightwing hero, Henry Kissinger).

He will be remembered for the weak tone of his "Malaise Speech" but also for urging the U.S. to build a "moonshot" around using less oil, and that continued involvement with middle east terror states would eventually lead to terrible financial and national security consequences. He did this in start opposition to Reagan and his big oil backers.

He will be remembered by Republicans for being an ineffectual weakling - which is fair up to a point. However, keep in mind: Republicans like Rabbi tend to eschew policy research for the party line (which has become insanely repetitive and boring when it comes to Carter).

And Republicans won't remember Reagan's partnership with Iran or his insane spending or the high number of government workers he added (compared to Carter, Clinton and Obama) or the S&L crisis or Lebanon or the debt & structural deficits he bequeathed to Bush 41.

Carter bashing and Reagan adoration are deep parts of the Republican message machine. They've repeated the same old talking points for so many years that they now believe their own bullshit.

Last edited:

Carter's greatest achievement was the peace agreement between Egypt and Israel. Otherwise, he was a total failure.

Camp Davis Peace Accord.

Forum List

Back