What to do when the cops want to talk to you.

hmm a few years ago...we had to deal with the police...my lawyer said if innocent turn, call and ask what they wanted....i did....it blew right over....but yes i called my lawyer first

but few people know you do not have to talk to them,..if you are not under arrest you can leave at any time....

o and the last time a police man came on my property ....i ask what he wanted and then told him to get off my property...simple as that

Say 'No'. Call a lawyer. Refuse to make any statements whatsoever.

If you think this is bad advice, call a lawyer and ask them.

If guilty, this is great advice.

If innocent, listen to what they say, answer truthfully, and go about your merry way.

I've been detained and questioned a few times in my life for things I wasn't involved with. If you have nothing to hide, and are indeed innocent talking isn't a bad thing. Of course, no one's ever accused me of a serious crime either, so maybe in such a situation I'd go with the lawyer thing. :)

first case: my son was accused of something he did not do.....we were told the police suspected him of this and i wanted it shut down immediately and completely....so i called my criminal lawyer...do not wait until you need one to get one or know of one to call...

the police man on my property was some idiot who thought my lab was his police dog? wtf? he got booted immediately without rosey the lab

and much of it depends on the level of copdom you are dealing with.....local or state...etc...i have found the sbi to be very much harder to deal with...they are Velcro cops

One of my friends, who is regarded as the top lawyer in his state, told me on more than one occasion you never say anything to the police, whether you or innocent or guilty. I don't know if that will work too well in some of the countries I travel to should they ever take me in. I suppose I will tell them anything and everything that simply is not true in order to get myself released from hanging upside down in shackles and a pulley, including naming the starting lineup for all the sports teams I can think of as accomplices. *wink*

Don't talk to them. Cops are just people, some are dishonest, some are stupid, and many are manipulative. And never take a lie detector except from someone you've hired yourself. They will try to convince you that if you're innocent you will agree to chat with them and/or take a lie detector...

Also tell your kids that any time a cop talks to them, they need to say they want their parent(s) with them. Make the kids practice it, because cops can and will interrogate at school, and get away with it, unlless the kid says he wants his folks.

Also they can lie to you or to your kids in order to encourage them to talk. For example, they can say they have evidence they don't have, they can say that someone said something they didn't....

I immediately invite them in, offer a cup of tea and ask where they fancy going for lunch.
Many policemen call me and the conversation usually ends in a restaurant.
Of course, criminals have a lot to fear from the cops so probably would be better to call a lawyer or, even better, fess up and do their time.

My grandfather was a career cop, retiring as a Chief of Police. I've never had a negative interaction with the law. Of course, I'm on the side of the angels. If you're not, your experiences may vary. :)

If innocent, listen to what they say, answer truthfully, and go about your merry way.

I've been detained and questioned a few times in my life for things I wasn't involved with. If you have nothing to hide, and are indeed innocent talking isn't a bad thing. Of course, no one's ever accused me of a serious crime either, so maybe in such a situation I'd go with the lawyer thing. :)

Innocent people have been sent to jail for what was said when they were interrogated by police.

Remember the last part of Miranda: "Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law". Notice they don't say it can also be used to help you. The police can refuse to testify to what you said if it helps you.

What are you doing that the police would be wanting to talk to you?

if you are living life to the fullest...the police are gonna wanna talk to you...simple as that

If you leave no eviidence they have no reason to talk to you..simple as that.

Evidence of what? A friend of mine had a visit by the cops because he was parked in a shopping area where a serious crime took place. Someone took his info, cops came to his house the next day, from a bordering state, btw.

He did noting yet they drove 30 plus miles to his house.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipqQVxGngJU]James Duane - Remain Silent! - YouTube[/ame]

Watch this video. It is not long but very informative.

Innocent people have been sent to jail for what was said when they were interrogated by police.

Remember the last part of Miranda: "Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law". Notice they don't say it can also be used to help you. The police can refuse to testify to what you said if it helps you.

If falsely accused and imprisoned see it as a good thing and opportunity to sue for a ridiuclous amount later on.

"With all due respect Officer, I'd advise you not to cast your net too widely. I'm a Jew, and very litiguous." :)

Last edited:
My grandfather was a career cop, retiring as a Chief of Police. I've never had a negative interaction with the law. Of course, I'm on the side of the angels. If you're not, your experiences may vary. :)

I have had np bad experiences with cops. I have some friends that are great cops. But I still agree with the advice of the top legal minds.

Forum List

Back