What to do when the cops want to talk to you.

If you match the description, do you think anything you say will change what they do?
It depends, that's why I'm against blanket statements. Sometimes a description is vague, White guy about so tall about so old, jeans, red jacket, brown hair. That isn't enough to detain you or take you into custody. It could be a big liability for the department if nothing else. Now if you contradict yourself or otherwise raise suspicion they may haul you in.

I've seen the video " don't talk to police" on YouTube all the way through and it is very compelling. On the other hand the police have a difficult job to do, to protect and serve, and if they need my help I would like go do so. So if I were being questioned as a witness I would probably tell the police what I know, knowing that there can be a risk when talking to police. If the questions become about me then I would clam up and see about getting a lawer. If I know I'm a suspect all the police are getting from me is my drivers license for identification.

Last edited:
The best advice is to remain silent.

It makes no difference if you are innocent or guilty. If you say nothing you'll have more options if things start to break badly....

Don't talk to them. Cops are just people, some are dishonest, some are stupid, and many are manipulative. And never take a lie detector except from someone you've hired yourself. They will try to convince you that if you're innocent you will agree to chat with them and/or take a lie detector...

Also tell your kids that any time a cop talks to them, they need to say they want their parent(s) with them. Make the kids practice it, because cops can and will interrogate at school, and get away with it, unlless the kid says he wants his folks.

Also they can lie to you or to your kids in order to encourage them to talk. For example, they can say they have evidence they don't have, they can say that someone said something they didn't....

If everybody followed this advice, it would slow the police down in their work and impair the speed of justice. We should not be so defensive - just tell the truth and try to help the police. My bro-in-law is a cop and he hates it when they bring somebody in for questioning and get the silent treatment. In fact, it can backfire as they often see the lawyer request as a sign that somebody has something to hide.

But, I do agree with your point about the kids, its been shown again and again that kids will tend to say what an adult wants to hear and they can be manipulated easily, even if the questioner is not trying to shade the facts.

Say 'No'. Call a lawyer. Refuse to make any statements whatsoever.

If you think this is bad advice, call a lawyer and ask them.

Make their job easier by giving information or protect yourself if you are involved in a crime. The choices are pretty simple.

If guilty, this is great advice.

If innocent, listen to what they say, answer truthfully, and go about your merry way.

I've been detained and questioned a few times in my life for things I wasn't involved with. If you have nothing to hide, and are indeed innocent talking isn't a bad thing. Of course, no one's ever accused me of a serious crime either, so maybe in such a situation I'd go with the lawyer thing. :)

First question you have to ask yourself, how would you know if you are innocent? The only possible reason cops have for talking to you is that you are guilty, and their goal is to lock you up. If you talk, all they have to do is prove you lied, if you don't, they have to prove you actually did it.

REASON #7: Even if you’re innocent, and you only tell the truth in your statement, and you give the police no information that can be used against you, and the whole statement is videotaped, a suspect’s answers can still be used against him if the police (through no fault of their own) have any evidence that any of the suspect’s statements are false (even if they are really true).

Suppose the police have a statement from a witness who claims to have seen the suspect in the area where the crime was committed at the time of the incident. Suppose further that this witness is actually wrong, but has made an honest mistake. The suspect then gives a statement to the police in which he says he was nowhere near the area where the crime took place at the time of the incident. By giving the statement, the suspect has now created a conflict between his own statement and the statement of this witness. By itself, the statement of the witness that he or she saw the suspect in the area at the time the crime was committed is not that useful. But by giving this statement, and creating a conflict with this witness’s statement, the suspect has now made this relatively minor witness into the government’s star witness.
The jury will hear the conflict and will assume that the suspect is lying and wonder why.
So even if you tell the complete truth, you’re putting your cards on the table without first seeing what evidence the government has. And if the government has some bit of evidence which, through some honest mistake, contradicts part of your story, you set yourself up to be portrayed as a liar by giving a statement without first knowing what evidence the government has.
Top 10 Reasons You Should Not Talk to the Police, Right to Remain Silent - Law Offices of James Kirk Piccione

My grandfather was a career cop, retiring as a Chief of Police. I've never had a negative interaction with the law. Of course, I'm on the side of the angels. If you're not, your experiences may vary. :)

No one ever has a negative interaction with a cop.

Until they do.

If innocent, listen to what they say, answer truthfully, and go about your merry way.

I've been detained and questioned a few times in my life for things I wasn't involved with. If you have nothing to hide, and are indeed innocent talking isn't a bad thing. Of course, no one's ever accused me of a serious crime either, so maybe in such a situation I'd go with the lawyer thing. :)

Innocent people have been sent to jail for what was said when they were interrogated by police.

Remember the last part of Miranda: "Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law". Notice they don't say it can also be used to help you. The police can refuse to testify to what you said if it helps you.

They cannot testify even if they want to, it is hearsay, and inadmissible.

In other words, it can only hurt you, never help you.

Innocent people have been sent to jail for what was said when they were interrogated by police.

Remember the last part of Miranda: "Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law". Notice they don't say it can also be used to help you. The police can refuse to testify to what you said if it helps you.

If falsely accused and imprisoned see it as a good thing and opportunity to sue for a ridiuclous amount later on.

"With all due respect Officer, I'd advise you not to cast your net too widely. I'm a Jew, and very litiguous." :)

In order for that to work you would have to get out.

My grandfather was a career cop, retiring as a Chief of Police. I've never had a negative interaction with the law. Of course, I'm on the side of the angels. If you're not, your experiences may vary. :)

I have had np bad experiences with cops. I have some friends that are great cops. But I still agree with the advice of the top legal minds.

Delta is smarter than every lawyer on Earth, even Obama.

The video I posted is part of a longer video by a law professor and professional cop. The prof asked the cop if he had ever had someone talk their way out of going downtown, and the cop laughed.
You would save time if you took time to read. I said as much in a case like that. Your statement was much broader though. You said:

"What to do when the cops want to talk to you.
Say 'No'. Call a lawyer. Refuse to make any statements whatsoever."

They may want to talk to you as a witness, or if you saw a missing person, or any number of things besides trying to haul you to jail. Blanket advice is seldom good advice.

Or they may be lying about why they want to talk to you.

Ever wonder why cops won't answer questions about a crime they are a witness to unless they have a union rep in the room?

Ok, what will happen, if for example, you match the description of someone they're looking for. Bank robber, drug dealer, whatever. Yes, you have the right to refuse to answer questions but what are they supposed to do? Say 'oh well, forget it'?

If you "match a description" do you really think answering questions is going to stop them from arresting you?

I've seen the video " don't talk to police" on YouTube all the way through and it is very compelling. On the other hand the police have a difficult job to do, to protect and serve, and if they need my help I would like go do so. So if I were being questioned as a witness I would probably tell the police what I know, knowing that there can be a risk when talking to police. If the questions become about me then I would clam up and see about getting a lawer. If I know I'm a suspect all the police are getting from me is my drivers license for identification.

If my not answering questions makes their job harder, tough shit. Personally, I find that preferable to my life being hard because I am in jail for something I didn't do.

Don't talk to them. Cops are just people, some are dishonest, some are stupid, and many are manipulative. And never take a lie detector except from someone you've hired yourself. They will try to convince you that if you're innocent you will agree to chat with them and/or take a lie detector...

Also tell your kids that any time a cop talks to them, they need to say they want their parent(s) with them. Make the kids practice it, because cops can and will interrogate at school, and get away with it, unlless the kid says he wants his folks.

Also they can lie to you or to your kids in order to encourage them to talk. For example, they can say they have evidence they don't have, they can say that someone said something they didn't....

If everybody followed this advice, it would slow the police down in their work and impair the speed of justice. We should not be so defensive - just tell the truth and try to help the police. My bro-in-law is a cop and he hates it when they bring somebody in for questioning and get the silent treatment. In fact, it can backfire as they often see the lawyer request as a sign that somebody has something to hide.

But, I do agree with your point about the kids, its been shown again and again that kids will tend to say what an adult wants to hear and they can be manipulated easily, even if the questioner is not trying to shade the facts.

Tough shit.

If my not answering questions makes their job harder, tough shit. Personally, I find that preferable to my life being hard because I am in jail for something I didn't do.

Good point.

if you are living life to the fullest...the police are gonna wanna talk to you...simple as that

If you leave no eviidence they have no reason to talk to you..simple as that.

Evidence of what? A friend of mine had a visit by the cops because he was parked in a shopping area where a serious crime took place. Someone took his info, cops came to his house the next day, from a bordering state, btw.

He did noting yet they drove 30 plus miles to his house.

I can;t speak for someone who was stupid enough to let the cops know they were there much less their identity.

Forum List

Back