What to do when the cops want to talk to you.

When you talk to cops, don't do what I did...

...calling a male cop, "Mam".

He was a little Vietnamese guy and I thought he was a little Vietnamese girl, except that he acted (and talked) just like a cop.

Unfortunately for me, I did it twice!

The second time he goes, "Mam! Have you ever been to jail?"

I didn't call him "mam" after that.

If guilty, this is great advice.

If innocent, listen to what they say, answer truthfully, and go about your merry way.

I've been detained and questioned a few times in my life for things I wasn't involved with. If you have nothing to hide, and are indeed innocent talking isn't a bad thing. Of course, no one's ever accused me of a serious crime either, so maybe in such a situation I'd go with the lawyer thing. :)

Innocent people have been sent to jail for what was said when they were interrogated by police.

Remember the last part of Miranda: "Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law". Notice they don't say it can also be used to help you. The police can refuse to testify to what you said if it helps you.

If falsely accused and imprisoned see it as a good thing and opportunity to sue for a ridiuclous amount later on.

I have made it 54 years with a certain part of my anatomy remaining virginal. I cannot imagine how much money it would take to be worth having it taken by force. :)

Innocent people have been sent to jail for what was said when they were interrogated by police.

Remember the last part of Miranda: "Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law". Notice they don't say it can also be used to help you. The police can refuse to testify to what you said if it helps you.

If falsely accused and imprisoned see it as a good thing and opportunity to sue for a ridiuclous amount later on.

I have made it 54 years with a certain part of my anatomy remaining virginal. I cannot imagine how much money it would take to be worth having it taken by force. :)

(wrinkles nose) Eww. :) In point of fact, virginity can't be taken by force. Intangible like our souls, it can only be given.

(wrinkles nose) Eww. :) In point of fact, virginity can't be taken by force. Intangible like our souls, it can only be given.

Point of fact, I think you got what I meant. lol

It's legally sound advice. I just don't view police in an adversarial way.

Nor do I. Which is why I posted this thread. I think many people don't view them in an adversarial way. Most of us want to help, want to talk, and think innocence means we are safe.

That is wrong.

I would say it depends on why they want to talk to you

If you are a witness to a crime or can provide information help out as much as you can.
If there is any chance you are being accused, remember they are not your friend and are not concerned with your interests

Say 'No'. Call a lawyer. Refuse to make any statements whatsoever.

If you think this is bad advice, call a lawyer and ask them.

LOL - the dumbest advice ever posted. Why give a LE officer a reason to become suspicious? Be 1) polite; 2) listen carefully and 3) never ever affect an attitude. If detained keep calm, invoke your rights and if booked then call an attorney.

Remember, that one call to an attorney will most likely cost you $1,000 (if your lucky).

Why give a LE officer a reason to become suspicious? Be 1) polite; 2) listen carefully and 3) never ever affect an attitude. If detained keep calm, invoke your rights and if booked then call an attorney.
That's sound advice.

Cops are there to do a job, not all are great but most take their oath seriously. If it's serious and you've done wrong or think it's a gray area then yes, it's best to get legal advice. Miranda rights are for interrogations btw, not arrests, contrary to media depictions. If you remain mum and they are obligated to fulfill their duty then you may be taking that trip downtown with all the time and expense considered.

LOL - the dumbest advice ever posted. Why give a LE officer a reason to become suspicious? Be 1) polite; 2) listen carefully and 3) never ever affect an attitude. If detained keep calm, invoke your rights and if booked then call an attorney.

Remember, that one call to an attorney will most likely cost you $1,000 (if your lucky).

If a LE officer is seeking you out, they are likely already suspicious.

If you want to call this dumb advice, that is up to you. I am echoing what the top legal minds and many, many LE officers would tell you.

The OP was intended as advice if you are subjected to questioning as a suspect (or even if you MAY be a suspect). The LE officer is not there to protect you.

Why give a LE officer a reason to become suspicious? Be 1) polite; 2) listen carefully and 3) never ever affect an attitude. If detained keep calm, invoke your rights and if booked then call an attorney.
That's sound advice.

Cops are there to do a job, not all are great but most take their oath seriously. If it's serious and you've done wrong or think it's a gray area then yes, it's best to get legal advice. Miranda rights are for interrogations btw, not arrests, contrary to media depictions. If you remain mum and they are obligated to fulfill their duty then you may be taking that trip downtown with all the time and expense considered.

The video I posted is part of a longer video by a law professor and professional cop. The prof asked the cop if he had ever had someone talk their way out of going downtown, and the cop laughed.

I would say it depends on why they want to talk to you

If you are a witness to a crime or can provide information help out as much as you can.
If there is any chance you are being accused, remember they are not your friend and are not concerned with your interests

One of the other things to remember is that they are allowed to lie to you as much as they want. If you lie to them you have committed a crime.

An example the professor in the video uses is that of Eddie Joe Lloyd. Now granted, Mr. Lloyd was a mental patient. But the cops who interrogated Eddie told him that he could confess and help them "smoke out" the real perpetrator. Eddie, eager to help, confessed (giving info they had fed him). The judge in the case lamented that Michigan didn't have the death penalty. Eddie Joe Lloyd served 17 years in prison.

It is better sometimes to get to know the law enforcement officers in the area ... Flip it on them and ask them questions when you see them.

So who are you anyway ... When did you start working this area?
Where did you go to school ... You married ... What does your wife/husband do?
When was the last time you had the cruiser tuned up ... Is your weapon provided, or do you use your own?
When was the last time you qualified at the range ... What is the average response time for calls this far out of town?

You know we all refer to your colleague deputy ****** as 'Psycho' ... Did you know that?
How does that make you feel ... And what would you like us to call you?

Be creative ... But give them an idea that you are no bullshit pushover so they know who they are dealing with if the need ever arises.

I agree with this sage advice.

I used to be a cop and I refused to talk to my patrol partner....we would ride around for shift after shift in silence until she wrote me a note asking me why. I wrote back, "I do not talk to cops".

I agree with this sage advice.

I used to be a cop and I refused to talk to my patrol partner....we would ride around for shift after shift in silence until she wrote me a note asking me why. I wrote back, "I do not talk to cops".

That is probably true in some areas ... Luckily we don't have cops around here.
We have sheriff's deputies and the occasional State Trooper or Constable.

I like getting to know the law enforcement ... They know who you are and use better judgment at times.
There is no need to be uptight around a badge if you really know who is wearing it.

Personal experience has shown me that law enforcement can be a pretty nice bunch when you take the time to get to know them ... Playing poker with their boss doesn't hurt anything either.

Many years ago when I was fresh out of the academy I would have suggested polite compliance, now after much experience I suggest feigning early onset of Alzheimer's.

The video I posted is part of a longer video by a law professor and professional cop. The prof asked the cop if he had ever had someone talk their way out of going downtown, and the cop laughed.
You would save time if you took time to read. I said as much in a case like that. Your statement was much broader though. You said:

"What to do when the cops want to talk to you.
Say 'No'. Call a lawyer. Refuse to make any statements whatsoever."

They may want to talk to you as a witness, or if you saw a missing person, or any number of things besides trying to haul you to jail. Blanket advice is seldom good advice.

If you are being questioned as a suspect say nothing until you get to talk to a lawyer and have a lawyer present during questioning. Aside from protecting YOU, this is also the fast track to being taken into custody. Understand that. The police are not questioning you because they want to give you a hard time. You can ask the officer "am I under arrest" and if you are not, you can leave. However, even asking the question means that they can put you under arrest and then they will question you with your lawyer present.

If you are not a suspect, and no crime has been committed and the cop is just chatting, you have an absolute right to smugly act like an asshole. Just realize that the information will be disseminated among cops in the area and you will be stopped for every BS thing the cops can think of.

Ok, what will happen, if for example, you match the description of someone they're looking for. Bank robber, drug dealer, whatever. Yes, you have the right to refuse to answer questions but what are they supposed to do? Say 'oh well, forget it'?

Ok, what will happen, if for example, you match the description of someone they're looking for. Bank robber, drug dealer, whatever. Yes, you have the right to refuse to answer questions but what are they supposed to do? Say 'oh well, forget it'?

If you match the description, do you think anything you say will change what they do?

Forum List

Back