CDZ What should we do?

What should we do?

• Demand Trump end this issue with a mere stroke of his pen

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Demand Congress pass legislation to solve this issue

Votes: 17 89.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Republicans hold the house, senate, and presidency. They can end this anytime they want. That's the truth.
Dude. Please. You're supposed to leave that at the door.
It needs to be said again and again. The truth is important. Republicans hold all branches of govt and it is on them to fix this. They are the ones with the power to do it. Blaming anything else is just an excuse.

Republicans hold the house, senate, and presidency. They can end this anytime they want. That's the truth.
It needs to be said again and again. The truth is important. Republicans hold all branches of govt and it is on them to fix this. They are the ones with the power to do it. Blaming anything else is just an excuse.
Need 10 votes from Demon-crats.

You should console yourself that it's all for the best because you don't really give a damn about the kids anyway.

I give a damn about my kid ... less so about someone else's.

Lest we forget, they came here knowing full well this would happen. Tell me why I should have more sympathy for the children than disgust for the adults who put the children in this situation?

Need 10 votes from Demon-crats.
Always someone else's fault=republican policy.

Trump should end this hatful, unwarranted policy immediately – needless to say he won’t.

What we should do is follow the law.

Those who come to the United States seeking asylum in good faith have violated no laws when they enter the country absent authorization, they are neither ‘illegal’ nor are they ‘criminals’ – indeed, that’s what it is to be a refugee: that the situation in your country is so perilous that waiting for authorization is not warranted, that’s why US immigration laws are written to accommodate refugees.

Once screened as potentially eligible for refugee status, those seeking asylum are issued the appropriate documents and allowed to wait for a determination of their refugee claim outside detention, no need to take children from their parents.

That’s why the wrongheaded policy of taking children from their families as some sort of ‘deterrent’ is a crisis of Trump’s own making, and why Trump is solely responsible for this unmitigated disaster.

Had Trump simply followed existing immigration law he wouldn’t have added yet another failure to his already failed ‘administration.’

Of course, Trump has nothing but contempt for the law.

But they won’t.

The reprehensible policy of taking children from their parents was intended to be some sort of ‘deterrent’ – a failed, hateful, bigoted effort by Trump to stop immigrants coming to the United States.

And Congressional Republicans are too frightened of their hateful, bigoted base to take any action; they’d rather children suffer than face the anger of rightwing bigots this November.

This child separation issue is getting on my nerves, not only the imagery, but the game of political football going on. On one hand, I can't help but have sympathy for the children at the center of this debacle. I can't help but feel great anger towards the parents who chose to send their children thousands of miles north from Central America to the southern border, alone. On the other hand I want the law to be enforced. Sympathy should simply take a back seat. I find this conundrum troubling because both sides make valid points. This whole thing feels wrong to me.

So, what should be done?

Go back to treating this like a civil matter.

Here was the problem. When these people were caught before doing this, we simply released them on their own recognizance, and most of them showed up for their hearings because they really wanted asylum.

So Trump and Sessions said, "No, let's lock them up until we can resolve their cases!" without doing two very sensible things.

1) Have enough hearing judges to resolve these cases in a prompt manner.

2) Have enough space to house these people until you get around to final dispositions of their case.

Instead, Trump and company doubled down by yanking children from their parents/guardians, just to be extra mean-spirited about the thing, and lo and behold, now he has a backlash to his own cruelty and lack of planning.

So, what should be done?
Thank you for asking such a reasonable question.

We should do what adults should always do when confronted with a problem: Communicate, collaborate, think, create, drop the ideologies, and work together. Take it one step at a time.

Coyote was kind enough to offer some specific ideas in post 20 here: CDZ - The Truth about Separating Kids

However, since we have lost the skills required for normal communication and collaboration, and because we care more about leveraging political advantage than in actually solving problems, who knows what will actually happen.

Last edited:

Tell me why I should have more sympathy for the children than disgust for the adults who put the children in this situation?
No reason at all anyone should care about other people's children, it's the kids' fault for picking their parents...

iu

Tell me why I should have more sympathy for the children than disgust for the adults who put the children in this situation?
No reason at all anyone should care about other people's children, it's the kids' fault for picking their parents...

iu

Didn't take long to go full Godwin ... I had 15 minutes in the pool.

Since when do Demon-crats give a rats butt about Laura Bush, and what she has to say ?? LOL.
Seems Republicans don't.

So tell us how many you're signing up to sponsor. Demonstrate some real concern, instead of just lying on the internet about your fake 'humanitarianism' like all the other 'humanitarians' that wouldn't be caught dead sponsoring any of these 'refugees'. There really aren't that many in this latest fake wave your Party generated for a few photo ops and then left the building compared to the numbers of Democrats running around trying to pretend they're 'outraged' or something, mostly just bad acting like Maddow's ludicrous display of fake acting.

The real problem is America is literally disneyland compared to mexico

their country can't suck enough for a multitude of reasons

they need to clean up their act

S~

I didnt vote because it would only allow me to choose one and I would have chosen both.

1. Trump created this current situation. He cooked up the policy that is the cause of so much grief right now. He can remove it just as easily. It is a policy. If part of his rationale was to force his legislative wishlist through congress then that is abhorant. Using the abuse of children in this way is just plain unreal and inhuman to me. He easily end what he started.

2. The larger issue needs to be addressed, but not tied to this immediate one. We have had multiple attempts at immigration reform attempted and cut down. It needs to be bipartisin and comorehensive and frankly should be done in a thoughtful manner that includes input from all sectors affected by immigration, not just politicians.

3. DACA should be adressed on its own not tied to other thingss. Those kids need some certainty as to their future.

The real problem is America is literally disneyland compared to mexico

their country can't suck enough for a multitude of reasons

they need to clean up their act

S~
A lot of them dont come from Mexico.

Do any of you people realize what happens when an American is detained south of our border?

~S~

I didnt vote because it would only allow me to choose one and I would have chosen both.

1. Trump created this current situation. He cooked up the policy that is the cause of so much grief right now. He can remove it just as easily. It is a policy. If part of his rationale was to force his legislative wishlist through congress then that is abhorant. Using the abuse of children in this way is just plain unreal and inhuman to me. He easily end what he started.

2. The larger issue needs to be addressed, but not tied to this immediate one. We have had multiple attempts at immigration reform attempted and cut down. It needs to be bipartisin and comorehensive and frankly should be done in a thoughtful manner that includes input from all sectors affected by immigration, not just politicians.

3. DACA should be adressed on its own not tied to other thingss. Those kids need some certainty as to their future.
You should console yourself that it's all for the best because you don't really give a damn about the kids anyway.

Lest we forget, they came here knowing full well this would happen. Tell me why I should have more sympathy for the children than disgust for the adults who put the children in this situation?
Because not everyone has the freedom that you do to enjoy making that choice.

Forum List

Back