What old movies are you watching.

Well I do. I don't watch movies to drool over the celebrities that I will never meet. :D That is silly to me.

who is drooling --LOL

i said she was an American icon

a twentieth century fox

as she was meant to be

Meh, I actually found her to be quite silly. Especially her singing Happy Birthday to the president. :D Just my opinion of her though. I know a lot of you older people idolize her for some odd reason. Any normal girl who behaved in such a manner would be called a "whore" though. :)

idolizing what an idiot --LOL

Hmm. Maybe you're just lashing out at me because I offended your delicate sensibilities with my comments about Marilyn? :funnyface:

Marilyn was actually quite smart and wanted to get beyond the "bimbo" roles but Hollywood knew where the money was. One might say that we never saw the full extent of her acting talent though I do think her "Happy Birthday" rendition was American Schmaltz at its best. But The Misfits was actually an interesting performance...

Greg

Marilyn was considered a comedian back then. Her roles were funny and she played such a ditz. She wanted to become a dramatic actress but her looks didn't allow for that. She was more than just a sex symbol.

who is drooling --LOL

i said she was an American icon

a twentieth century fox

as she was meant to be

Meh, I actually found her to be quite silly. Especially her singing Happy Birthday to the president. :D Just my opinion of her though. I know a lot of you older people idolize her for some odd reason. Any normal girl who behaved in such a manner would be called a "whore" though. :)

Hmm. Maybe you're just lashing out at me because I offended your delicate sensibilities with my comments about Marilyn? :funnyface:

Marilyn was actually quite smart and wanted to get beyond the "bimbo" roles but Hollywood knew where the money was. One might say that we never saw the full extent of her acting talent though I do think her "Happy Birthday" rendition was American Schmaltz at its best. But The Misfits was actually an interesting performance...

Greg

Marilyn was considered a comedian back then. Her roles were funny and she played such a ditz. She wanted to become a dramatic actress but her looks didn't allow for that. She was more than just a sex symbol.

Norma Jean may have gotten those roles....Marilyn couldn't

Greg

Agreed. Marilyn made herself a star but when she wanted something different, it was too late. Perception is everything.

Is it just me, or does anyone else think Marilyn Monroe was perhaps a bit overrated? Does anyone think she was a really good actress? :neutral: No doubt, she was beautiful woman, but a good actress? Hmm.
I think her acting was OK, but I think her beauty covered most of her popularity. Compared to other actresses like Katharine Hepburn, Liz Taylor,Bette Davis,Joan Crawford, her acting was mediocre. Then again her character wasn't really meant to be much else other than a blonde bombshell. Maybe she was a better actress typecast into a dumb blonde roll time after time. I don't recall her ever doing a role of a smart woman so it's hard to tell.
I think what made Some Like It Hot such good movie was the director Billy Wider. This guy has an incremental record for directing and writing hit movies. For Example:

Ninotchka
Double Indemnity
The Lost Weekend
Sunset Blvd.
Stalag 17
Sabrina
Witness for the Prosecution
Some Like It Hot
The Apartment
The Spirit of St. Louis
Irma la Douce
The Front Page
I saw Stalag 17 in cinematography class in college. I rented Some like it Hot from Netflix. I own Double Indemnity.
Saw The Spirit of St. Louis last year.

Some of my favorites are as follows:

West Side Story
On The Waterfront
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
High Noon
Rear Window
From Here to Eternity
All Quiet on the Western Front
Rebel Without a Cause
Ben-Hur
In the Heat of the Night
Spartacus
A Night at the Opera
All great movies.

Greg

The biggest myth about Marilyn is that she was dumb. It was a role that she could never escaped from. In the 1950's and 60's a beautiful blond was stereotyped as the dumb blond. Once an actress fell into that roll, it was very difficult to escape it. In her off screen life, she was very witty, with an acidic sense of humor. The head of Fox Studios was incredibly contemptuous of her, and she fought him tooth and nail, and won, in real terms. She was probably one of the few actresses that actually read and understood her contracts.

Dragonwyck (1946)
upload_2014-12-29_19-5-57.jpeg
en.wikipedia.org

NR · 1hr 43min · Drama
IMDb 7/10
  • Dragonwyck is a 1946 American period drama film made by Twentieth Century-Fox. It was directed by Joseph L. Mankiewicz and produced by Darryl F. Zanuck and Ernst Lubitsch from a screenplay by Mankiewicz, based on the novel Dragonwyck …
    en.wikipedia.org

Greg

The biggest myth about Marilyn is that she was dumb. It was a role that she could never escaped from. In the 1950's and 60's a beautiful blond was stereotyped as the dumb blond. Once an actress fell into that roll, it was very difficult to escape it. In her off screen life, she was very witty, with an acidic sense of humor. The head of Fox Studios was incredibly contemptuous of her, and she fought him tooth and nail, and won, in real terms. She was probably one of the few actresses that actually read and understood her contracts.

Marilyn Monroe was a character she created. Once she got into that character, there was no going back

Norma Jean was more of the girl next door who could have played other roles

Line Spacing+-AFont Size+-
I-Love-Lucy-Christmas-Special-660x375.jpg

Posted by Michael Hoffman on December 25, 2014

The “I Love Lucy Christmas Special,” a one-hour special featuring two colorized back-to-back classic episodes of the 1950s series, will be rebroadcast Wednesday, Dec. 24 (8:00-9:01 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

The two episodes – the seldom-seen “Christmas Episode” and the newly colorized “Job Switching” (aka “Chocolate Factory”) – were colorized with a vintage look, a nod to the 1950s period in which the shows were filmed.

The main titles and end credits of the two episodes are seamlessly combined into one set – at the beginning and end of the hour – with no interruption between the episodes. The “I Love Lucy Christmas Special” that aired last year on the Network included the “Christmas Episode” and “Lucy’s Italian Movie” (aka “Grape Stomping”), starting a holiday broadcasting tradition.

Also included in this year’s special is never-before-broadcast footage from Lucy and Desi’s “I Love Lucy” costume and makeup tests. Filmed just days before the first Lucy episode went into production in 1951, the footage provides a warm and wonderful glimpse of the two people who were about to make television history.

The programs feature Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz as Lucy and Ricky Ricardo, and Vivian Vance and William Frawley as the Ricardos’ friends and landlords, Fred and Ethel Mertz.

“The Christmas Episode” finds the Ricardos and Mertzes decorating Lucy and Ricky’s Christmas tree and reminiscing about how their lives have changed since the arrival of the Ricardo’s son, Little Ricky (Keith Thibodeaux). Flashbacks (in black-and-white to emphasize the time lapse) recall the night Lucy tells Ricky she is pregnant; the time Lucy shows up unexpectedly as part of a barbershop quartet; and the day Ricky and the Mertzes rehearse taking Lucy to the maternity ward.

“The Christmas Episode” was first presented as part of the regularly scheduled “I Love Lucy” series on CBS in December, 1956. The episode wasn’t included in the series’ long history of rebroadcasts, first on CBS Daytime and later in syndication. Thought to be “lost,” CBS rediscovered the episode in 1989.

In “Job Switching,” a marital spat over the value of money results in the Ricardos and Mertzes all changing roles: Ricky and Fred try their hand at housekeeping, while Lucy and Ethel go to work – in a chocolate factory.

“Job Switching” was originally presented on “I Love Lucy” Sept. 15, 1952 and became an instant classic. While the episode was not included in the original 1957 listings for “The Top 10 Lucy Shows,” it has long been ranked by fans as one of their all-time favorites. In 2013, the episode’s penultimate scene with Lucy and Ethel trying to keep up with a chocolate factory conveyor belt was selected by Paley Center for Media (in their “TV’s Funniest of the Funniest” poll) as the funniest TV moment of all time.

“I Love Lucy” aired on CBS from Oct. 15, 1951 until May 6, 1957. It was voted “the best TV show of all time” in a 2012 viewer poll conducted by People Magazine and ABC News.

The above press release was issued by CBS.

I don't think she was very smart. She had an affair with the married POTUS and his brother too. She also drank and did drugs and overdosed, allegedly. Is that what smart looks like?

The Loves of Edgar Allan Poe (1942)
upload_2014-12-30_22-36-23.png

·
1hr 7min · Drama
IMDb 5.5/10
  • The Loves of Edgar Allan Poe is a 1942 Drama directed by Harry Lachman, starring Linda Darnell and Shepperd Strudwick.
  • en.wikipedia.org

Gaslight (1944)
upload_2014-12-30_22-37-25.jpeg
en.wikipedia.org

NR · 1hr 54min · Mystery
IMDb 7.9/10
Rotten Tomatoes 83%
  • Gaslight is an American 1944 mystery-thriller film adapted from Patrick Hamilton's 1938 play Gas Light. It was the second version to be filmed, following the British film Gaslight, directed by Thorold Dickinson and released in 1940. This 1…
    en.wikipedia.org

I don't think she was very smart. She had an affair with the married POTUS and his brother too. She also drank and did drugs and overdosed, allegedly. Is that what smart looks like?
There are plenty of intelligent people who are addicts, adulterers, and worse.

There are plenty of intelligent people who are addicts, adulterers, and worse.

Well, I guess these "intelligent" people really aren't as "intelligent" as you give them credit for, eh?

Not to mention, you don't really know anything about Marilyn Monroe. You didn't know her, did you? No, you are making assumptions based on things that you have read, just like the rest of us. Just because she was a popular actress in the old days, does not mean she was intelligent or a good person. In fact, I'll bet there are many, many actresses who got where there (especially in THOSE days), by making good use of the casting couch. :D

Watched Goodbye Mr. Chips the other day on TMC. They went from his wife dying to him being old and dead pretty quick in those old movies.

Rawhide (1951)
upload_2014-12-31_21-27-1.jpeg
en.wikipedia.org

NR · 1hr 29min · Western
IMDb 7.1/10
  • Rawhide is a 1951 Western film made by Twentieth Century-Fox. It was directed by Henry Hathaway and produced by Samuel G. Engel from a screenplay by Dudley Nichols. The music score was by Sol Kaplan and the song "A Rollin' Stone" by Lionel Newman. The cinematography was by Milton R. Krasner.
  • en.wikipedia.org · Text under CC-BY-SA license

Just watched this on DVD. Nearly all the main characters were nominated for Oscars and Leroy should have been and should have won.

Just watched this on DVD. Nearly all the main characters were nominated for Oscars and Leroy should have been and should have won.

Not one of my favorite but an excellent movie. I think it's one of the first evil child movies.

To Kill a Mockingbird.
This is one of the few movies that I have found to be as good or better than the book, an academy award winner and one my favorites.

Singing in the Rain
If you like musical comedies, this is a must. Funny, Silly, with great music and dancing.

Forum List

Back