What no looting?

What no looting?

I am watching the aftermath of the earthquake in Japan, something that has effected the entire country. Reports are coming in that the shops are closed and that people are on the roads looking for food and water.

I am amazed at the how the Japanese are responding... in comparison to how the people involved in the katrina flood responded.

They are not looting businesses or turning into whining animals.

Amazing comparison don't you think?

Your city and home gets completely flooded because the government couldn't manage the levies. And then FEMA takes what would feel like forever. I'd be rightfully bitching at their fuckups too if I lived in NOLA. The damage from Katrina could've been mitigated to a significant degree if the Corps of Engineers had maintained the infrastructure. Whining animals... :rolleyes:

But whatever. Here's a good article from the LA Times talking about the Japanese mores.

Japan earthquake: Japan's massive earthquake has no effect on culture's impeccable manners - latimes.com

Some resent the stifling conformity that can accompany social mores such as these. Even in modern-day Japan, speaking one's mind or making an overt demand can lead to ostracization. Young people, in particular, sometimes feel shackled by rigid conventions of behavior that can seem as arcane as a Kabuki drama.

Still, the ingrained instinct for orderliness and calm has kept its hold even amid difficult moments. The quake knocked out much of the usually clockwork-reliable public-transportation system in Tokyo and its suburbs. Yet when trains finally appeared on a few crucial routes, the queue was as orderly as on any mundane commuting day.

Japan has more significant earthquakes than any country in the world. They conduct training exercises for events just like this one. The people there know what to do and where to go in the event of a disaster.

Americans are lazy and stupid. Our governments do not lead us in survival exercises to deal with the kinds of disasters that could befall our communities.

The looting during Katrina was highly exaggerated. The reports that blacks were shooting whites and police was found out to be lies ginned up by the NO police after they shot two groups of blacks. One was shot right outside a police station...several blacks stuck on a freeway overpass were gunned down by NO police snipers after one of the police fire his gun in the air with no provocation. The FBI investigated and the offending officers were charged with murder. The NO police tried to hide their actions. Some of them were charged with obstructing the investigation.

The problem with a disaster like Katrina is that people are not trained what to do or where to go to get assistance. The Army Corps of Engineers knew that the levees would fail in just those conditions yet the authorities did nothing to educate the population ahead of time.

Blaming people for doing what they have to to survive is repugnant. Going into a flooded out store to grab some food that will be spoiled anyway or take a couple of bottles of water in such circumstance is not looting. It is surviving. If some yahoo like (You know who) started shooting at people taking water or food in an earthquake, like the one in Japan, in my community he would be taken out immediately.

Considering that we have a similar fault sitting off the coast of Oregon/Washington, we really should have a dress rehearsal or two, huh? It is, after all, due any time.

Let's hope the International community is as ready to throw money and resources our way when it happens.

The local authorities in Seattle run simulation excersises but they never include the public. All they do is announce that THEY did some readiness war game. They are totally unrealistic. It isn't the first responders that need the training. They already know what to do. It is the public.

We are lucky in that we have a lot of access by water to much of the population so "getting too" people here isn't that hard in an emergency. The place you DO NOT want to be here in an event like a massive earthquake or a snow storm is on a freeway. You can be a long way from pedestrian access off our elevated and concrete enclosed freeways.

Japan has more significant earthquakes than any country in the world. They conduct training exercises for events just like this one. The people there know what to do and where to go in the event of a disaster.

Americans are lazy and stupid. Our governments do not lead us in survival exercises to deal with the kinds of disasters that could befall our communities.

The looting during Katrina was highly exaggerated. The reports that blacks were shooting whites and police was found out to be lies ginned up by the NO police after they shot two groups of blacks. One was shot right outside a police station...several blacks stuck on a freeway overpass were gunned down by NO police snipers after one of the police fire his gun in the air with no provocation. The FBI investigated and the offending officers were charged with murder. The NO police tried to hide their actions. Some of them were charged with obstructing the investigation.

The problem with a disaster like Katrina is that people are not trained what to do or where to go to get assistance. The Army Corps of Engineers knew that the levees would fail in just those conditions yet the authorities did nothing to educate the population ahead of time.

Blaming people for doing what they have to to survive is repugnant. Going into a flooded out store to grab some food that will be spoiled anyway or take a couple of bottles of water in such circumstance is not looting. It is surviving. If some yahoo like (You know who) started shooting at people taking water or food in an earthquake, like the one in Japan, in my community he would be taken out immediately.

Whatever Huggy....

I was there.

You believe whatever you want.

It doesn't change reality, even if it makes you feel all better about it.

They looted until there was nothing left to steal, and that's a fact. It wasn't just bread and milk, and it wasn't just the corner stores. Chaos, admittedly, but they were robbing from each other as well.

God damn, you people are naive.

How many old people drowned in their attics while dumb asses like you were fixated on a handful of television thieves that didn't even have electricity to watch them. If I was there I think I would have been going around in a boat with a ladder, a spade shovel and a chain saw making holes in roofs and saving lives. You were no better for the community watching the looters than as if you had taken a TV yourself.

What no looting?

I am watching the aftermath of the earthquake in Japan, something that has effected the entire country. Reports are coming in that the shops are closed and that people are on the roads looking for food and water.

I am amazed at the how the Japanese are responding... in comparison to how the people involved in the katrina flood responded.

They are not looting businesses or turning into whining animals.

Amazing comparison don't you think?

Your city and home gets completely flooded because the government couldn't manage the levies. And then FEMA takes what would feel like forever. I'd be rightfully bitching at their fuckups too if I lived in NOLA. The damage from Katrina could've been mitigated to a significant degree if the Corps of Engineers had maintained the infrastructure. Whining animals... :rolleyes:

But whatever. Here's a good article from the LA Times talking about the Japanese mores.

Japan earthquake: Japan's massive earthquake has no effect on culture's impeccable manners - latimes.com

Some resent the stifling conformity that can accompany social mores such as these. Even in modern-day Japan, speaking one's mind or making an overt demand can lead to ostracization. Young people, in particular, sometimes feel shackled by rigid conventions of behavior that can seem as arcane as a Kabuki drama.

Still, the ingrained instinct for orderliness and calm has kept its hold even amid difficult moments. The quake knocked out much of the usually clockwork-reliable public-transportation system in Tokyo and its suburbs. Yet when trains finally appeared on a few crucial routes, the queue was as orderly as on any mundane commuting day.
That's interesting...the Japanese have always had the reputation for keeping a stiff upper lip (more so than the Brits). I was wondering...if things don't go well will the Japanese PM commit hari-kari? Not that I think he should, but it seems to be the tradition there.

Whatever Huggy....

I was there.

They looted until there was nothing left to steal, and that's a fact. It wasn't just bread and milk, and it wasn't just the corner stores. Chaos, admittedly, but they were robbing from each other as well.

How many old people drowned in their attics while dumb asses like you were fixated on a handful of television thieves that didn't even have electricity to watch them. If I was there I think I would have been going around in a boat with a ladder, a spade shovel and a chain saw making holes in roofs and saving lives. You were no better for the community watching the looters than as if you had taken a TV yourself.
OMFG I wish I could rep you again.

Republicans: more interested in wide screen tvs than old black people dying in attics.

Whatever Huggy....

I was there.

Republicans: more interested in wide screen tvs than old black people dying in attics.

The ones looting the televisions were Republicans? :confused:

I was born in Alabama, and lived on the Gulf Coast until August 17, 1969.

Google it.

It made Katrina look like a thunderstorm.

On August 18, Dad moved us to Birmingham, but we always kept a home on the coast.

I now have businesses in Bayou la Batre and Biloxi. But New Orleans and Katrina was work with a close friend and business partner, who is a documentary film maker....sometimes. I was very adept with cameras, I owned my own business so I could take off on a whim, and I knew New Orleans very well, so I was a logical choice. We were there for 3 months at the start, all on our own dime, and we gave away a good bit of our own money and an assload of our time, mostly in rice, water and staples....... and a rebuilt Buddhist Temple.

Fuck all of you. What did you do to help them? Laugh at the people who went to help? Good little fuckers, all of you!

Why I ever entertained the thought of arguing with a bunch of folks who weren't there but want to tell me what I saw is beyond me. A true exercise in futility when dealing with the bias of minds as shown by Ravi, Jake, and CG. Huggy, I believe, is just trying to score some rep :)

The simple fact is, New Orleans still hasn't recovered. It is not what it was before Katrina, and hopefully, it never will be. If you don't believe me, go visit. L-9 is gone, and it will not come back in our lifetimes. Because the City doesn't want it back. Katrina did New Orleans a favor in L-9. The Quarter is the same as it ever was. Guess who still lives there? Metairie (the true engine of NO), is still Metairie, just as it was the day before, and the day after. People rebuilt their homes, then went into the city to reclaim what was left of their businesses and jobs.

But the areas that took the direct hit....Pass Christian, Bay St. Louis (nice try Jake, but it was a dead giveaway) and particularly Waveland, recovered quickly and have prospered and grown. They didn't sit on their asses waiting for someone to come and save them. They saved themselves. And they have clung together, not preyed on each other as did the residents of L-9, as did almost ALL of NO proper.

So tell yourselves whatever you want if it helps you sleep better at night. Katrina was a wind of rainbows and unicorns, and it pulled the entire Earth together in a sense of brotherhood and unity. There was no looting. There was no fighting. They did not rape and steal from each other. They joined hands, sung negro spirituals and Christian hymns, and then went to work rebuilding their city. The sky was beautiful the next morning, and foxes laid with hens.

Or.......it showed people's true nature. It showed what they were, at their core.....what they were willing to do, and what they weren't. It showed who they wanted to help, and who they didn't.

I don't care what you chose to believe, because I saw it, and I know the truth.

Sleep well, lemmings.

That's interesting...the Japanese have always had the reputation for keeping a stiff upper lip (more so than the Brits). I was wondering...if things don't go well will the Japanese PM commit hari-kari? Not that I think he should, but it seems to be the tradition there.

He's going to tie a banana around his head, get in a Zero, and fly it into the middle of a Pacific island while eating Ramen. As per Japanese custom.

/tasteless joke

The ones looting the televisions were Republicans? :confused:

Yes! Republicans. Definitely republicans!:lol:

He's going to tie a banana around his head, get in a Zero, and fly it into the middle of a Pacific island while eating Ramen. As per Japanese custom.

/tasteless joke
LOL! That was pretty tasteless.

/tasteless joke
LOL! That was pretty tasteless.

Right. But it's only tasteless because I mentioned Ramen.

/tasteless joke
Here's another tatseless one from one of our local Radio DJ's.......I still had to laugh, because the irony IS there.

Paraphrasing:

"You would think that after 1945, the Japs would fully understand that Nuclear ANYTHING isn't something they might want to consider playin' around with"

:lol:

And nobody talks about Lafourche.

Guess what?

They rebuilt, and moved on too.

I wonder why L-9 is still dead?

Huggy, Jake, CG, and Ravi.....they're still rebuilding in L-9 (in fact, they're really just getting started), and they could sure use your help.

Or you can continue to sit on your asses and keep throwing barbs at me, white folk, and Bush.

That will help them a lot too, I'm sure!

I was born in Alabama, and lived on the Gulf Coast until August 17, 1969.

Google it.

It made Katrina look like a thunderstorm.

On August 18, Dad moved us to Birmingham, but we always kept a home on the coast.

I now have businesses in Bayou la Batre and Biloxi. But New Orleans and Katrina was work with a close friend and business partner, who is a documentary film maker....sometimes. I was very adept with cameras, I owned my own business so I could take off on a whim, and I knew New Orleans very well, so I was a logical choice. We were there for 3 months at the start, all on our own dime, and we gave away a good bit of our own money and an assload of our time, mostly in rice, water and staples....... and a rebuilt Buddhist Temple.

Fuck all of you. What did you do to help them? Laugh at the people who went to help? Good little fuckers, all of you!

Why I ever entertained the thought of arguing with a bunch of folks who weren't there but want to tell me what I saw is beyond me. A true exercise in futility when dealing with the bias of minds as shown by Ravi, Jake, and CG. Huggy, I believe, is just trying to score some rep :) Not my intention but ...hey why not? Please feel free to give me a bump!

The simple fact is, New Orleans still hasn't recovered. It is not what it was before Katrina, and hopefully, it never will be. If you don't believe me, go visit. L-9 is gone, and it will not come back in our lifetimes. Because the City doesn't want it back. Katrina did New Orleans a favor in L-9. The Quarter is the same as it ever was. Guess who still lives there? Metairie (the true engine of NO), is still Metairie, just as it was the day before, and the day after. People rebuilt their homes, then went into the city to reclaim what was left of their businesses and jobs.

But the areas that took the direct hit....Pass Christian, Bay St. Louis (nice try Jake, but it was a dead giveaway) and particularly Waveland, recovered quickly and have prospered and grown. They didn't sit on their asses waiting for someone to come and save them. They saved themselves. And they have clung together, not preyed on each other as did the residents of L-9, as did almost ALL of NO proper.

So tell yourselves whatever you want if it helps you sleep better at night. Katrina was a wind of rainbows and unicorns, and it pulled the entire Earth together in a sense of brotherhood and unity. There was no looting. There was no fighting. They did not rape and steal from each other. They joined hands, sung negro spirituals and Christian hymns, and then went to work rebuilding their city. The sky was beautiful the next morning, and foxes laid with hens.

Or.......it showed people's true nature. It showed what they were, at their core.....what they were willing to do, and what they weren't. It showed who they wanted to help, and who they didn't.

I don't care what you chose to believe, because I saw it, and I know the truth.

Sleep well, lemmings.

OK maybe I laid to much at your feet but seriously...My thoughts if I was there certainly wouldn't be about televisions. What those people needed was some leadership. I'm sure if they had thought about it and knew old black folks were stuck up in their attics drowning they would have all tried to help. What would have made YOU a hero would be to have recognized the situation with the drowning citizens and organized some search parties...comandeer some boats and tools and get crackin! That would have been my action. I'm sure you wished you had thought to do more when it counted. I'm sure we all do.

And nobody talks about Lafourche.

Guess what?

They rebuilt, and moved on too.

I wonder why L-9 is still dead?

Huggy, Jake, CG, and Ravi.....they're still rebuilding in L-9 (in fact, they're really just getting started), and they could sure use your help.

Or you can continue to sit on your asses and keep throwing barbs at me, white folk, and Bush.

That will help them a lot too, I'm sure!
Fact is, NONE OF THEM WERE THERE.

They don't have a fuckin' clue.

They're monday morning quarterbacks who have fully proven themselves to be, many times up here, the dumbest posters on the board.....Save for Huggy....At least he had class enough to secede a point.

Last edited:
Fact is, NONE OF THEM WERE THERE.

They don't have a fuckin' clue.

They're monday morning quarterbacks who have fully proven themselves to be, many times up here, the dumbest posters on the board.....Save for Huggy....At least he had class enough to secede a point.

Huggy and I probably can't agree on the time of day.

But he's always struck me as realistic and open to debate.

The others are just posing and playing partisan games to score points with their buddies.

Ravi is a rabid racist, CG is a pompous bitch, and Jake is a moronic bigot.

But Huggy is just an asshole, like me :)

Forum List

Back