What nation has the best health care

In my opinion, every nation on the globe has a poor health care system. Pick a nation and you will easily be able to find negative aspects to it. For example, I believed that France had the best health care in the world when I heard a positive news story on it and read that it was ranked #1 on the globe by the WHO. However, what I didn't realize at the time was that this is the leading cause of their debt. What is even more troubling is that the system paid for mostly by the employers at this nation. In fact, an employer is responsible to pay nearly 13% of each employees salary! Needless to say, but if a system like this would be implemented in the US, a number of small companies will go out of business and less foreign entrepreneurs would look here to do business. I am meaning to pick on France, but I think that what should be the best health care system in the world should be a good one also.

Good you figured it out. No country, not one, has free healthcare. There health care is paid for by higher taxes on gasoline, food, clothing, everything and anything, it's not free. Plus they have rationing that's why they come here to get needed medical attention, at least the wealthy ones do, the others die waiting for needed treatment.

Perhaps we should be looking at what all these other nations do right, instead of just looking at ways to dis their systems as a way of dissing President Obama. The idea is to create a health care system within the US that does not bankrupt us, and delivers at least the results that Cuba gets.
They have ample choices among many non-profit insurance companies that are disincentivized to make "mistakes" which conveniently make them money. If they don't pay within 3 days, your next month of insurance is free. They don't sue their doctors over trivial things. That's a good start.

Say what you want - they spent barely any money on health care and they're living just as long as we are. I doubt it's just because people are shipping over neosporin.

oh good, you're refuting extensive journalistic integrity from the washington post with... an online blog.

And what is the claim of that blog? Not that Japan's system is failing now, despite being successful for quite some time, but that it may fail at some point in the future. Bravo.

Ame®icano;1564348 said:
I would like to know how many illegal immigrants are in Cuba, Taiwan & Japan?
Oh so you're saying we pay double the cost of healthcare than Japan and get lower life expectancies because half the cost is going towards illegal immigrants?

You have some big misconceptions about the quality of Cuban healthcare -which would be laughable except it is so pervasive among the left who love communist dictators and are so convinced that putting a communist dictator in charge of everything and everyone can only result in heaven on earth.

Let's all start off by admiring the Cuban income tax rate -it is 50% and that isn't counting the money they confiscate from citizens in the form of many other taxes. In exchange for having the bulk of their income confiscated and existing as a captive labor force, Cubans have gotten a two-tiered healthcare system in exchange. The top tier is accessible only to the power elite and tourists. The Cubans pay for it, but they are forbidden from using it. It is also the system that is shown to those self-deluded, gullible foreigners intending to make a "documentary" braying about how well Cuba manages their healthcare or will write an admiring article about how that tiny nation got it all right while the big, bad US has it all screwed up. It is a total crock of shit.

While Cubans are heavily taxed to pay for that top tier, they live under medical apartheid. They get the bottom tier -and that tier makes the worst day under the UK's overburdened, inefficient and unresponsive healthcare system look like a dream come true. That bottom tier suffers routinely from a lack of basic supplies and medications because of the severe funding shortage. The bottom tier hospitals and clinics are decrepit, dirty and understaffed. The bulk of funds set aside for healthcare in Cuba go for that top tier the elite have claimed for themselves but is off limits to those actually footing the bill for it.

As for their incredible claims that this apartheid medical system has produced the same kind of life expectancy and other impressive healthcare statistics on a par or even better than some of the best healthcare systems in the world -as well as claiming to have THE lowest infant mortality rate in the world -you should know that it is generally accepted in the REAL world that these statistics coming from Cuba are not reliable whatsoever because they are the result of SELF REPORTING and always unconfirmed -in fact Cuba will not allow any attempt to confirm them. Like all egomaniacal dictators, the Castros like to pose to the outside world as saviors of their own people, pretending they provide that heaven on earth that all others can only envy. ROFL

So when you look at how Cuba determines their infant mortality rate for example -which they CLAIM is the best in the whole world - you find out it is a sick, sick pathetic joke.

The World Health Organization does not require that all countries follow a uniform system of determining its health statistics -that is determined by each country. And once they receive the data from countries, they publish and report it -but put the part of the different standards each country uses in a different publication. This makes it totally impossible to truly compare healthcare statistics that are gathered by means of totally different standards -and sometimes are outright lies. Especially from the the most oppressive regimes trying to pose as being the equals of the best the free world has to offer.

This is how the US has chosen to determine its infant mortality rate. The US counts all live births regardless of the gestational age at the time of birth. If the child is born alive, it counts as a live birth. The US counts all infant deaths for the first 12 months following birth. In fact the US has the longest counting periods for infant deaths in the entire world. The average counting period is six months.

Cuba does not count as a live birth any child born before 26 weeks gestation -because they don't survive there anyway. (Cuba is not alone in deciding not to count the live births of extremely premature babies -for the same reason.) But babies born in the US at 24 weeks have an 85% chance of survival today and the youngest to survive was born at 22 weeks. In the US if a child was born alive and then dies even a few minutes later, it is counted as a live birth and that death becomes part of our infant mortality stats. In Cuba (which again, is not alone in this), if a baby is born alive but then dies within the first 24 hours of birth, it is counted as a miscarriage -not a live birth followed by a death. And finally, in Cuba, they stop counting infant deaths after THREE MONTHS.

There is nothing admirable about Cuba and certainly not about their medical apartheid system they have inflicted on their own people while forcing them to foot the bill for the top tier for government officials and tourists but forbidden to access it themselves. To say nothing of the fact their people are among the very bottom of the least free people in the world, exploited as a captive labor force by the communist regime, suffer under a punitive tax burden that amounts to outright confiscation of income, the regime routinely imprisons political prisoners and at any given time has hundreds of political prsioners held in abysmal and inhumane conditions. Anyone want to take bets on what kind of medical care they get? And every year more than 2,000 Cubans decide to risk their lives to flee this oppressive regime using anything they think will float long enough to reach our shore.

You know there is something wrong with a country when it tries to prevent its own citizens from leaving. The idea of that happening here is ludicrous, isn't it? You want to leave here because you think some other country does it better than we do? Have at it and don't let the door hit you in the butt on your way out. Because no one is going to stop you.

You haven't been have you? As someone whos been on a medical mission to Cuba and seen the very 'bottom' rungs of the health system in the country - and other comparible countries - I was very impressed. Yes the hospitals in some areas are rather dirty and lacking equipment (again, often down to its difficulty to get hold of rather than cost - we offered to pay for some equipment that could not practically be obtained). I also think you've got your communist countries mixed up - the 'top tier' in Cuba really isn't that big, and if it is its certainly not noticable. We are certainly not talking politburo/kgb/military types like the U.S.S.R, more a hospital or twos worth of people at most.

Comparing medical facilities in Cuba and the States is, to use a Yank saying, absolutely retarded. Of course Cuba will look 'worse' by comparison, have you not seen the age of the population, the GDP and other economic indicators? You'd be better off comparing with a similar country with a background of U.S co-operation and support - i'd suggest hospitals in somewhere like Colombia are - from my experience - far worse and more tiered according to class.

I'm not going to get into the rest of your tirade against Cuba - methinks your stuck in a 1950's witch hunt, but unfortunately it seems to be a regular stance from many conservative Americans. I'll put it down to the fact that so many of your oh-so-precious tax dollars are spent on spreading propaganda amongst Latin America and the Caribbean through NGO's and govt schemes - incidentally, probably the most sensible reason for the masses of cubans emigrating to 'the land of the free', where supporting the health of your fellow man is so often looked down on.

In my opinion, every nation on the globe has a poor health care system. Pick a nation and you will easily be able to find negative aspects to it. For example, I believed that France had the best health care in the world when I heard a positive news story on it and read that it was ranked #1 on the globe by the WHO. However, what I didn't realize at the time was that this is the leading cause of their debt. What is even more troubling is that the system paid for mostly by the employers at this nation. In fact, an employer is responsible to pay nearly 13% of each employees salary! Needless to say, but if a system like this would be implemented in the US, a number of small companies will go out of business and less foreign entrepreneurs would look here to do business. I am meaning to pick on France, but I think that what should be the best health care system in the world should be a good one also.

Good you figured it out. No country, not one, has free healthcare. There health care is paid for by higher taxes on gasoline, food, clothing, everything and anything, it's not free. Plus they have rationing that's why they come here to get needed medical attention, at least the wealthy ones do, the others die waiting for needed treatment.

Of course no country has free health care. But some pay twice as much as others and recieve far less for their money. Paying for a health care system that works through taxes is a reasonable proposition.

Results are the indicator of what is working and what is not. Those that defend what we have now really need to examine why we have more than 700,000 families a year going bankrupt because of medical bills. And over 50% of those families have insurance. Why do most of the industrial nations and some third world nations with universal health care have so much better stats on lenghth of life, health in old age, and infant mortality. Why our health system that does not even include 47 million Americans costs twice as much as most others. Certianly twice as much as one of the most successful systems in the world, that of Japan.

You can speculate how you'd like, but they live about as long as we do.

just maybe the people there are not eating way to much and have less sedentary lives then here.....have you thought of that?....they dont sit around eating big macs watching dancing with the stars and the cuban idle show.....and the fact remains the people in the small towns dont have the access to the great medical care that those in Havana have...perhaps the pro NHC people give you all the positive things and just happen to make sure the negative is not mentioned........

Last edited:
[long post that says very little]

First, learn you sum brevity. Please.

Next, provide a refuting source. Be it WHO, the CIA world factbook, or a number of other documents, I have shown Cuba's average lifespan to be about equivalent to the US's. You, in retort, have complained about their system (which didn't address their lifespan), and with 5 paragraphs of hand waiving tried to dismiss all knowledge we have of Cuba.

For someone who spends so much time writing about how "blind" people are, you sure haven't been too visually acute yourself. Either provide a source to refute my numbers, or stop responding. Waiving your hands about with your own personal speculation on why they are the same does not make it the case. Stating "they lie" or complaining about their emigration doesn't work.

Last edited:
They also have the second highest doctor to patient ratio in the world. Supply and demand. Kinda helps.

Great point, I agree. Shouldn’t we be doing something to increase our doctor to patient ratio? So many on the left, like Michael Moore, use Cuba’s system as a “model”, but I see little in the way of actual “here’s how we model their system”. Cuba still has some big issues with their system that I do not believe we should be following. Healthcare in Cuba - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In the Canadian Medical Association Journal, a response to a paper previously published in the journal[81] says that "In its population statistics, the Cuban government has hidden for the past 49 years the fact that 2 million Cubans have emigrated or have died as a result of political executions, wars fought overseas, unsafe emigration and poor health care for adults (particularly for the elderly)".[21]
According to Katharine Hirschfeld, criticizing the government is a crime in Cuba, and penalties are severe.[82] She noted that "Formally eliciting critical narratives about health care would be viewed as a criminal act both for me as a researcher, and for people who spoke openly with me".[82] According to Hirschfeld the Cuban Ministry of Health (MINSAP) sets statistical targets that are viewed as production quotas. The most guarded is infant mortality rate. The doctor is pressured to abort the pregnancy whenever screening shows that quotas are in danger.[82] Once doctor decides to guard his quotas, patients have no right to refuse abortion.[82]
Many Cubans complain about politics in medical treatment and health care decision-making. There is no right to privacy, patient's informed consent, or right to protest for malpractice. The patient has no right to refuse the treatment, including for religious or ethical reasons. For example, Jehovah's Witnesses cannot refuse blood transfusions and a Rastafarian cannot refuse an amputation on the grounds that it goes against Rastafari biblical teachings (Rastafari teaches that the body must be whole in order for it to ressurected on Judgement Day). As a result, the experience can be dehumanizing.[82] After spending nine months in Cuban clinics, Katherine Hirschfeld asserted in her paper "My increased awareness of Cuba’s criminalization of dissent raised a very provocative question: to what extent is the favorable international image of the Cuban health care system maintained by the state’s practice of suppressing dissent and covertly intimidating or imprisoning would-be critics?"[82]
I do not believe any of the above was mentioned by Michael Moore in his portrayal. I thought the left was all about exposing corruption and making sure everyone has a right to privacy and free choice.

Next, provide a refuting source. Be it WHO, the CIA world factbook, or a number of other documents, I have shown Cuba's average lifespan to be about equivalent to the US's. You, in retort, have complained about their system (which didn't address their lifespan), and with 5 paragraphs of hand waiving tried to dismiss all knowledge we have of Cuba.

For someone who spends so much time writing about how "blind" people are, you sure haven't been too visually acute yourself. Either provide a source to refute my numbers, or stop responding. Waiving your hands about with your own personal speculation on why they are the same does not make it the case. Stating "they lie" or complaining about their emigration doesn't work.

your life span and your health has more to do with what you do to your body,than your health care system......you can have the health care they have on the Starship Enterprise,but if you eat bad and smoke and sit on your ass all day....it wont help ya....

your life span and your health has more to do with what you do to your body,than your health care system......you can have the health care they have on the Starship Enterprise,but if you eat bad and smoke and sit on your ass all day....it wont help ya....
precisely correct. precisely correct. which is actually why I keep deferring negative claims against their "system". lifespan goes far beyond that, and we're still kinda missing that point in the US

As far as decreasing costs to match Cuba’s, maybe we should start paying our doctors and physicians $15 per month like Cuba does. Problem solved, right?
They also have the second highest doctor to patient ratio in the world. Supply and demand. Kinda helps.

if they cant get stuff we can buy over the counter.....how is their system better?
You can speculate how you'd like, but they live about as long as we do.

And as I keep saying, if health care systems had a damned thing to do with life expectancy, that would be relevant. As it is, it's a pathetic dodge that just makes you look stupid and pigheaded every time you spout it, especially given how many times that very topic has already been addressed.

Life expectancy also has an enormous amount to do with genetics, which is why you see people in their eighties and nineties talking about how they smoked, drank, and ate red meat their entire lives. The life expectancy rate of an entire nation is attributable to all kinds of things that are totally out of the control of health care, including murder rates, accidents of all kinds, the genetics of demographic groups, and last but not least, statistical accounting methods.

And as I keep saying, if health care systems had a damned thing to do with life expectancy, that would be relevant. As it is, it's a pathetic dodge that just makes you look stupid and pigheaded every time you spout it, especially given how many times that very topic has already been addressed.
wow - that's quite the strong reaction to someone who pretty much agreed with most of what you said in the post just before that.

but you're foolish if you believe health care systems have *nothing* to do with life expectancy. The fact that our life span has increased dramatically over the past hundred years (let alone longer) should tell you something. Nor can you be so blind as to attribute everything to genetics as you did in the previous post. There is CLEARLY an interplay between nature, nurture, and healthcare resources available that all determine lifespan. You can't claim Cuba's life span is about the same as ours just on genes, as environment (including health system) has a very strong hand in that.

In 2006, U.S. spending averaged $6,714 per person. The average resident of France spent $3,450. This year, U.S. spending is expected to near $8,000 per person, while French officials estimate spending there will come in below $5,000. It's not that the French are younger. One in six of France's 61 million people are over the age of 65; one in eight Americans are over 65.

wow - that's quite the strong reaction to someone who pretty much agreed with most of what you said in the post just before that.

but you're foolish if you believe health care systems have *nothing* to do with life expectancy. The fact that our life span has increased dramatically over the past hundred years (let alone longer) should tell you something. Nor can you be so blind as to attribute everything to genetics as you did in the previous post. There is CLEARLY an interplay between nature, nurture, and healthcare resources available that all determine lifespan. You can't claim Cuba's life span is about the same as ours just on genes, as environment (including health system) has a very strong hand in that.

Oh, health care systems have a lot to do with national life expectancy . . . if you're comparing the United States and sub-Saharan Africa. Obviously, it helps to be in a first-tier nation with state-of-the-art medical facilities in abundance, well-trained doctors, etc. My point, which I have made so many times that it shouldn't surprise anyone that I'm extremely touchy about dumbasses forcing me to go through it yet again, is that in a comparison of two nations which both nominally have access to good health care, life expectancy differences are not a function of the differences in health delivery systems.

Oh, health care systems have a lot to do with national life expectancy . . . if you're comparing the United States and sub-Saharan Africa. Obviously, it helps to be in a first-tier nation with state-of-the-art medical facilities in abundance, well-trained doctors, etc. My point, which I have made so many times that it shouldn't surprise anyone that I'm extremely touchy about dumbasses forcing me to go through it yet again, is that in a comparison of two nations which both nominally have access to good health care, life expectancy differences are not a function of the differences in health delivery systems.
I apologize for not stalking you enough to know that you've made a point on these boards more than once.

Studies show that if you take a person from their home environment (say, Japan), and transport them to another environment with worse health outcomes (say, the US), their health outcomes match their new environment. This suggests to me that genetics actually plays a minor role in it all, whereas lifestyle and health care are more prominent.

Real stupid. The preventive health care you recieve in the first years of your life are very important. Being sedentary, over indulgence in alcohol, and smoking will all shorten your life span. But without preventive medicine, only those very lucky will live to their full potential lifespan.

Because the nations with universal health care find it in their finanacial interest to keep their citizens healthy, they concentrate on preventive medicine, and the stats show the results.

I apologize for not stalking you enough to know that you've made a point on these boards more than once.

Studies show that if you take a person from their home environment (say, Japan), and transport them to another environment with worse health outcomes (say, the US), their health outcomes match their new environment. This suggests to me that genetics actually plays a minor role in it all, whereas lifestyle and health care are more prominent.

You don't have to stalk me, dimwit. You just have to make the effort to inform yourself on ongoing debates before putting in your half-cent worth. And you owe everyone an apology for not having done so, not just me.

And no, studies actually show that Japanese-Americans have comparable life expectancy rates to native Japanese. In fact, all of the US's ethnic groups have comparable life expectancy rates to people in their countries or regions of origin. This TELLS us, not suggests, that genetics play a very large part. And this point has ALSO been made to death on this boards, and thank you SO much for making no effort at all to acquaint yourself with the conversation before leaping into it.

You don't have to stalk me, dimwit. You just have to make the effort to inform yourself on ongoing debates before putting in your half-cent worth. And you owe everyone an apology for not having done so, not just me.

And no, studies actually show that Japanese-Americans have comparable life expectancy rates to native Japanese. In fact, all of the US's ethnic groups have comparable life expectancy rates to people in their countries or regions of origin. This TELLS us, not suggests, that genetics play a very large part. And this point has ALSO been made to death on this boards, and thank you SO much for making no effort at all to acquaint yourself with the conversation before leaping into it.

Link?

Healthcare is expensive. Good healthcare is very expensive. Someone has to pay for it. So who do you think should pay for it?

Well--we all have to pay for it. Since--we're talking about France--every so often you will see youth rioting in the streets. Reason--they can't find jobs. A "good" unemployment rate for France is 12%. In America that spells disaster. Stiffing employers with the medical insurance bill will only dramatically reduce the number of available jobs in this country.

Therefore, cost of medical insurance needs to be shared by both employers & employees.

Not to mention forcing people to keep jobs they would otherwise tell their employer to "take and shove". Forcing employers to maintain health insurance coverage on their employees is a slap in the face of freedom of choice for both employment and coverage.

Not to mention the unfair advantage large employers have over their smaller competitors...

Can we not find sufficiently sized groups of people along geographic lines, like states or counties to form 'groups' for group health insurance discounts?

haha! no.

And no, studies actually show that Japanese-Americans have comparable life expectancy rates to native Japanese.

"Compared to their US-born counterparts, ... Chinese, Japanese, and Filipino immigrants had lower life expectancy" -Health, life expectancy, and mortality patterns among immigrant populations in the United States

No, it's not exact - the movement comes towards our poor health habits because as people begin to assimilate, they smoke more, and gain more weight. Risk for most cancers are increased from their native lands, even if lower than the US-born. In the period when an immigrant has access to American health care but has not yet delved into the culture, they're better off (the same study I cited above shows that as well). But assimilation yields worse health outcomes. It's our culture.

Your turn to cite something.

According to the article below, it is actually illegal for people in France to work more than 35 hours! The logic is that someone who is willing to work two jobs would actually be taking a job from someone who has none. As anyone can tell that if France had Americas work style the number of unemployment would be trough the roof. Also, according this article Americas unemployment rate at the time was almost half of that of France. Therefore, if the USA adopted their method for health care and as stated before that there would be much less jobs, our unemployment rate would be through the roof because we do not have such an absurd laws!

France: Less Work, More Time Off - CBS News

Forum List

Back