What nation has the best health care

Whereas U.S. healthcare is predominantly a private system paid for by private insurers, things in Canada tend toward the other end of the spectrum: A universal, government-funded health system is only beginning to flirt with private-sector medicine.

Hoping to capitalize on patients who might otherwise go to the U.S. for speedier care, a network of technically illegal private clinics and surgical centers has sprung up in British Columbia, echoing a trend in Quebec. In October, the courts will be asked to decide whether the budding system should be sanctioned.

In Canada, a move toward a private healthcare option

In my opinion, every nation on the globe has a poor health care system. Pick a nation and you will easily be able to find negative aspects to it. For example, I believed that France had the best health care in the world when I heard a positive news story on it and read that it was ranked #1 on the globe by the WHO. However, what I didn't realize at the time was that this is the leading cause of their debt. What is even more troubling is that the system paid for mostly by the employers at this nation. In fact, an employer is responsible to pay nearly 13% of each employees salary! Needless to say, but if a system like this would be implemented in the US, a number of small companies will go out of business and less foreign entrepreneurs would look here to do business. I am meaning to pick on France, but I think that what should be the best health care system in the world should be a good one also.

I think the more appropriate question is "Who has the most efficient bureaucracy to track very private financial and health data and streamline payment for health care on our behalf over our working and post working lives?"

I am not going to read all the posts on this topic ....

However; has anyone else realized that when the USA was the strongest superpower and we were at the top of our game - our nation was not looking at the lower level nations for examples.

Why has this country cultivated a third world mentality?

Look at the percentage of tax generated by nations who do have to support a UHC - is THAT what you want ... more reason to let our employee's (politicians) tell us to give up more?

Why let them do this to us? Look at how great their skills are when it comes to the health and well being of our military (those who DESERVE permanent health care) and what about Medicare and Medicaid ... all that shows us is how well they can mess up ...

Consider ALL the help our government has done for us ...

How about Section 8 Housing?

most of which is in high crime area's and a VERY LONG waiting list to supposedly help the poor!

Why trust anyone that is supposed to work FOR YOU who screws everything up??

The question is subjective, you would have to ask which is the best in each category, as well as show each sub groups answers, etc.. Nothing is perfect, and nothing will please everyone, to think otherwise is naive.

In my opinion, every nation on the globe has a poor health care system. Pick a nation and you will easily be able to find negative aspects to it. For example, I believed that France had the best health care in the world when I heard a positive news story on it and read that it was ranked #1 on the globe by the WHO. However, what I didn't realize at the time was that this is the leading cause of their debt. What is even more troubling is that the system paid for mostly by the employers at this nation. In fact, an employer is responsible to pay nearly 13% of each employees salary! Needless to say, but if a system like this would be implemented in the US, a number of small companies will go out of business and less foreign entrepreneurs would look here to do business. I am meaning to pick on France, but I think that what should be the best health care system in the world should be a good one also.

We may have some of the best cutting edge medical innovations on the planet but when it comes to lifestyle and using it...

cost_longlife75.gif

...you do the math.

The other day on the news they had a video clip of Obama saying something in the effect that in his opinion ...

We have mandatory auto insurance so we will make health insurance mandatory!

:cuckoo: when you can NOT afford auto insurance you can ride a bike, a cab, a bus, or mooch from a friend...

other than fines imposed by the government to those who do not have it - what can YOU do?

The fines will help curb the cost for everyone else - won't it poor people?!

I have read Spain has the best? Having been there a few years ago they do seem to have a great deal more empathy and social consciousness than you find in most places.

The World Health Organization's ranking of the world's health systems

Of course, this presupposes that "empathy" and "social consciousness" are the standards by which one judges the health care system, and that one is pig-stupid enough to consider WHO's debunked report to be worth the tree-killing required to print it.
Do you have a link that shows the WHO report has been debunked?

I had a stomach bug a few weeks ago. I went to see my regular doctor. I called around 8:30 a.m. for an appointment and she couldn't see me until 1:15 p.m. Then she wanted me to see a GI doctor and I didn't see him until the next morning. They prescribed an antispasmodic (copay $0) and that worked. I swear, these wait times in the US are absolutely ridiculous.

I have read Spain has the best? Having been there a few years ago they do seem to have a great deal more empathy and social consciousness than you find in most places.

The World Health Organization's ranking of the world's health systems

Of course, this presupposes that "empathy" and "social consciousness" are the standards by which one judges the health care system, and that one is pig-stupid enough to consider WHO's debunked report to be worth the tree-killing required to print it.
Do you have a link that shows the WHO report has been debunked?

No, because this has already been done so much to death on this board that the fact that you are asking AGAIN simply tells me what I already knew about you: that you are a deliberately purblind dumbass who thinks that if you pretend something isn't true long enough, you'll eventually be right. I would no more waste time dignifying you with a repetition of proof than I would piss into the wind and let it blow back in my face.

I am really suprised Rawanda is not higher up the list, ever since that genocide they have been a leader in organ donation. They have Mega-organ discount stores. You can get a liver and new tires all in a one chop stop shop.

From my experience I would have to say the best - relatively speaking - is by far and away Cuba. Yes they have problems - but many of these come down to U.S sanctions (meaning if they buy a piece of equipment from a European manufacturer which is bought out by a US copetitor, they can't get parts) and an insistance to support other South American and Carib countires. Guess not many Americans have seen Cuba close up though!

The best i've seen in Europe has been France, where everything seems to work meticulously quickly. I've been very impressed with their approach as a skier, which is where most of my experience in European systems comes from (not that I fall over a lot, more colleagues!) whereby you can pay a small insurance amount (around 2 euro a day) to recieve rescue from a mountain - or be faced with the entire rescue bill if you choose not to take the insurance and require rescue - in Britain the onus would fall entirely on public services to pay for your pick up, regardless of how much it cost and your actions.

Never had any experience with the US system but I'm told its great for a Brit, whos paid for through the NHS.

IMO a lot of the problems with the NHS currently are to do with making comparisons with businesses - for example, theres a big thing over here about how much time public sector workers - including nurses - take off above private sector. How you can expect a nurse who is dealing with various sickness and illness all day long to take less time off than an office worker who sits in his own office all day is, frankly, beyond me.

I am really suprised Rawanda is not higher up the list, ever since that genocide they have been a leader in organ donation. They have Mega-organ discount stores. You can get a liver and new tires all in a one chop stop shop.

.. ...

::cringe::

From my experience I would have to say the best - relatively speaking - is by far and away Cuba.

If you look at the graph on the previous page, you can see that Cuba spends next to no money on health care, and yet has a life expectancy equivalent to the US. crazy

I had a stomach bug a few weeks ago. I went to see my regular doctor. I called around 8:30 a.m. for an appointment and she couldn't see me until 1:15 p.m. Then she wanted me to see a GI doctor and I didn't see him until the next morning. They prescribed an antispasmodic (copay $0) and that worked. I swear, these wait times in the US are absolutely ridiculous.

That is unacceptable!!! We deserve better system, we want to be happy as Canadians are...

A typical Canadian seeking surgical or other therapeutic treatment had to wait 18.3 weeks in 2007, an all-time high, according to new research published Monday by independent research organization the Fraser Institute.

Wait times for surgery in Canada at all-time high

... or British.

United Kingdom Ministry is planning for reduction of waiting time spent by patients before they had there surgery. The Government is planning to reduce the non-emergency surgery time to less // than 18 weeks from time of admission to NHS.

U.K. Government to reduce waiting time of patients for non-emergency surgery

In Japan, waiting times are so short that most patients don't bother to make an appointment. One Thursday morning in Tokyo, I called the prestigious orthopedic clinic at Keio University Hospital to schedule a consultation about my aching shoulder. "Why don't you just drop by?" the receptionist said. That same afternoon, I was in the surgeon's office. Dr. Nakamichi recommended an operation. "When could we do it?" I asked. The doctor checked his computer and said, "Tomorrow would be pretty difficult. Perhaps some day next week?"
By T.R. Reid -- Five Myths About Health Care in the Rest of the World - washingtonpost.com

To which country do most people from other nations go for treatment, when they can choose to do so?
The US, if one is very wealthy. It's about access, not quality.
Cons have a "let them eat cake" attitude about healthcare.

Simply, and absolutely not true. The US isn't even in the "top 40" medical destinations. Neither for price, OR quality of care.

-sensored

Forum List

Back