What musicians do you believe are overrated ?

the beatles wrote all those songs and hits in about 6 yrs.....6yrs?????......name me another group or artist that did that

then add on solo careers

i must respectfully disagree
The Beatles are extremely overrated.
Like the Rolling Stones, they wrote 100s of bad songs they threw against the wall with an OCCASIONAL one sticking. (in comparison to all the ones that didn't)
Rolling Stones - at least 90% of what they did sucked a big one, with brilliant songs dotted here and there.
Beatles - took a sound that already existed, popularized that sound in part due to radio and studio executives who desperately wanted a white band to drown out the black music that was popular at the time. The Beatles were a dream for the industry. At least 75% of what they did was truly awful. The other 25% ranged from acceptably decent to outstanding. Some really ground breaking. But still most was awful.

Like the Rolling Stones, they wrote 100s of bad songs they threw against the wall with an OCCASIONAL one sticking. (in comparison to all the ones that didn't)
Rolling Stones - at least 90% of what they did sucked a big one, with brilliant songs dotted here and there.
Beatles - took a sound that already existed, popularized that sound in part due to radio and studio executives who desperately wanted a white band to drown out the black music that was popular at the time. The Beatles were a dream for the industry. At least 75% of what they did was truly awful. The other 25% ranged from acceptably decent to outstanding. Some really ground breaking. But still most was awful.
they had the top 5 spots on the billboard 100 one week.lol...that overrated?

The Beatles evolved from the simplistic “She loves you….yea…yea…yea” to more complex crafted Albums in Revolver and Sgt Pepper.

They were willing to experiment in new directions rather than stick to the tried and true. Many of those experiments failed but they kept exploring.
Their musical body of work is impressive.

If they're making a living playing music, then they are good musicians regardless of shitty the music they make might be.

Many musicians who changed cannon are over rated , take 1-4-5 for ex., how many simply presented it in a new manner, be it some technical advantage , playing style or both......~S~

this is probably my all time overrated song

the conductor is a pitiful mess....the violinists are not even amateurs...the french horns are pathetic

the arrangement awful

The Beatles evolved from the simplistic “She loves you….yea…yea…yea” to more complex crafted Albums in Revolver and Sgt Pepper.

They were willing to experiment in new directions rather than stick to the tried and true. Many of those experiments failed but they kept exploring.
All true, but you gotta admit the lyrics to I Am The Walrus are just dumb.

A lot of good musical talent is underrated sometimes groups are successful due more to good marketing than anything else including talent. As far as overrated Most here in my age group will know about this group. The Bay City Rollers.

As in other Beatle discussions, I will admit that I am bias, but mostly accurate nevertheless.
I am no McCartney fan. His ego and insistence to keep producing bubble gum teeny bop music was what ended them.
Harrison and Lennon were completely over Paul and his sappy puppy love songs.
Harrison has twice the musical integrity as Paul and Lennon wanted to make more serious music about anything but teen love.
And also again, I would never say the Beatles were no good. Hell no. lots and lots of good songs, but they do not belong in the GOT discussion just because they were popular. There was a HUGE vacuum to fill as teenagers and younger folks at the time were starving for it.

I loved how the Beatles and The Beach Boys pushed each other to experiment with different sounds. Without the other band, neither would have been as good.

Pink fucking Floyd
Yes
Bon Jovi
Van Halen
In fact all metal apart from Motorhead
Chicago
Reo Speedwagon
Lionel fucking Ritchie
Pet Shop Boys
Queen
Cliff Richard
Any rapper who hasnt been arrested or shot
Hall and Oates
Inxs
No Doubt
Spandau Ballet
Duran Duran
Genesis
Phil Collins
I will come back to this when |I have given more thought.

Forum List

Back