What musicians do you believe are overrated ?

Prince is untouchable. The dude outshined Michael Jackson by miles and miles.
He did everything himself. He wrote lyrics, wrote melody's wrote songs and melodies for some of the biggest names out there.
The guitar solo he did with Tom Petty.... shit.
Can't buy dissin' Jackson's talent...

Not wrong!

Despite the guitar mastery that both Prince and Hendrix shared, he argued that they were very disparate artists and that the comparison was founded on race more so than musicology. In an interview with Rolling Stone Magazine in 1985, the Purple One was asked about the influence of Hendrix on his work to which he replied, “It’s only because he’s black. That’s really the only thing we have in common.”
Prince then went on to state that Carlos Santana, another legend of the guitar elite, would be a more befitting stylistic comparison. “If they really listened to my stuff, they’d hear more of a Santana influence than Jimi Hendrix,” Prince stated. “Hendrix played more blues; Santana played prettier.” There are a lot of descriptors ready and waiting to perfectly sum up the talent of Prince and pretty is certainly near the top of the pile. Hendrix would burn with intensity, while Prince was always far more cultivated, more stylised.
Prince covering Hendrix--totally changing the song

Last edited:
The Boss was the greatest concert I ever saw. You want overrated? Check out these bands...
  1. Queen
  2. Kiss
  3. Prince
  4. Bad Company
  5. Boston
  6. Rush
  7. Primus
  8. Michael Jackson
  9. America
  10. Air Supply

You got 6, 7 and 10 right. The rest are either not that highly rated (America), or deserve the adulation they get.

Prince? Best concert I ever attended and no one can touch his Super Bowl performance.

And if Boston hadn’t appeared when they did, breaking the death grip disco had on the charts, you might still have to endure KC & the Sunshine band. For that alone the deserve respect.

Despite the guitar mastery that both Prince and Hendrix shared, he argued that they were very disparate artists and that the comparison was founded on race more so than musicology. In an interview with Rolling Stone Magazine in 1985, the Purple One was asked about the influence of Hendrix on his work to which he replied, “It’s only because he’s black. That’s really the only thing we have in common.”
Prince then went on to state that Carlos Santana, another legend of the guitar elite, would be a more befitting stylistic comparison. “If they really listened to my stuff, they’d hear more of a Santana influence than Jimi Hendrix,” Prince stated. “Hendrix played more blues; Santana played prettier.” There are a lot of descriptors ready and waiting to perfectly sum up the talent of Prince and pretty is certainly near the top of the pile. Hendrix would burn with intensity, while Prince was always far more cultivated, more stylised.
Prince covering Hendrix--totally changing the song

I'm not into 4 foot tall guitarists!

You got 6, 7 and 10 right. The rest are either not that highly rated (America), or deserve the adulation they get.

Prince? Best concert I ever attended and no one can touch his Super Bowl performance.

And if Boston hadn’t appeared when they did, breaking the death grip disco had on the charts, you might still have to endure KC & the Sunshine band. For that alone the deserve respect.
I liked KC! I'm your boogie man, that's what I am...

That was his idol!
Dude.
Again? If you are going to make claims, you need to consider you may be waaaay off before you make it.
Hendrix and Prince were completely different people.
Prince was a loner who preferred to be by himself and write.
Hendrix was a people person who loved to be around others and party.
Prince was known for emotional outbreaks and getting angry at those around him.
Hendrix was known for his super calm personality and got a long with almost anyone.
They were both black, and both played a guitar extremally well. That is where it begins and where it ends.

Dude.
Again? If you are going to make claims, you need to consider you may be waaaay off before you make it.
Hendrix and Prince were completely different people.
Prince was a loner who preferred to be by himself and write.
Hendrix was a people person who loved to be around others and party.
Prince was known for emotional outbreaks and getting angry at those around him.
Hendrix was known for his super calm personality and got a long with almost anyone.
They were both black, and both played a guitar extremally well. That is where it begins and where it ends.
Prince adored Hendrix!

Forum List

Back