What musicians do you believe are overrated ?

Pink fucking Floyd
Yes
Bon Jovi
Van Halen
In fact all metal apart from Motorhead
Chicago
Reo Speedwagon
Lionel fucking Ritchie
Pet Shop Boys
Queen
Cliff Richard
Any rapper who hasnt been arrested or shot
Hall and Oates
Inxs
No Doubt
Spandau Ballet
Duran Duran
Genesis
Phil Collins
I will come back to this when |I have given more thought.

Only disagree with Chicago, Van Halen and Yes. Most on your list really aren’t that highly rated anyway.

Bon Jovi had their day, but overall are considered average.

Not a huge fan of Collins or Genesis, but there was a time both dominated the airways. I’ll give the devil it’s due.

First of all, rap and death metal are not music in my opinion so I don't even count those. Country, I really am not familiar enough with to say. So just from my own experience, having grown up in the 60's and 70's, I could think of more than a few, but here goes. These are my top 5 overrated musicians and bands. ( no offense anyone.... to each their own ) Feel free to contribute anything you want... I must have hurt a few feelings with this list;
1) Neil Young (good song writer, bad singer and terrible lead guitar player)
2) Rolling Stones ( 2 good albums but not worthy of super-stardom)
3) Mötley Crüe ( Van Halen wannabes wearing Kiss makeup )
4) George Thorogood ( the least bad to the bone guitarist I've ever seen)
5) Bruce Springsteen ( fun guy to have a beer with I'm sure, but "The Boss"?
give me a break.....Boss of what, looking cool holding a guitar ? )
Th Stones jumped the shark after Exile...
But several of the early albums were excellent.

I saw them in 67 when I was 9. They were the real deal.

Saw them again in 75..fell asleep.

I consider U2, The Doors, Eagles and Springsteen far more overrated.

Ted Nugent
??
To be overrated you have to be rated high.
I doubt Nugent made the top on very many people's list
He was what he was, a semi/briefly popular band a long time ago.
Nothing spectacular, but who said he was?
I had an 8 Track of Cat Scratch Fever, I thought it was okay but I didn't buy any more albums.

1. First of all, rap and death metal are not music in my opinion so I don't even count those. Country, I really am not familiar enough with to say. So just from my own experience, having grown up in the 60's and 70's, I could think of more than a few, but here goes. These are my top 5 overrated musicians and bands. ( no offense anyone.... to each their own ) Feel free to contribute anything you want... I must have hurt a few feelings with this list;
1) Neil Young (good song writer, bad singer and terrible lead guitar player)
2) Rolling Stones ( 2 good albums but not worthy of super-stardom)
3) Mötley Crüe ( Van Halen wannabes wearing Kiss makeup )
4) George Thorogood ( the least bad to the bone guitarist I've ever seen)
5) Bruce Springsteen ( fun guy to have a beer with I'm sure, but "The Boss"?
give me a break.....Boss of what, looking cool holding a guitar ? )
The Boss was the greatest concert I ever saw. You want overrated? Check out these bands...
  1. Queen
  2. Kiss
  3. Prince
  4. Bad Company
  5. Boston
  6. Rush
  7. Primus
  8. Michael Jackson
  9. America
  10. Air Supply

Th Stones jumped the shark after Exile...
But several of the early albums were excellent.

I saw them in 67 when I was 9. They were the real deal.
Exactly.
Like I said, Some Girls is an awesome album. One of the rare ones you could pop in and play the whole thing without FFWD. Emotional Rescue was the last album of theirs I bought, and the first I owned that I regretted buying. Tattoo You was probably better than ER, but I didn't buy it.
After that, IMO, they just went further and further down hill to the point of becoming a parody of themselves.

The Boss was the greatest concert I ever saw. You want overrated? Check out these bands...
  1. Queen
  2. Kiss
  3. Prince
  4. Bad Company
  5. Boston
Dude.
Prince?
Really??
His music is not my cup of tea, but denying his talent is insane. His influence and direct writing is vast.
And what a guitar player. Purple Rain is outstanding. Did you know he wrote that for Stevie Nicks? But she didn't do it because she thought it should be him doing it. She thought Prince was the most talented song writer of the time. Again, not for me, but his talent is HUGE.

Exactly.
Like I said, Some Girls is an awesome album. One of the rare ones you could pop in and play the whole thing without FFWD. Emotional Rescue was the last album of theirs I bought, and the first I owned that I regretted buying. Tattoo You was probably better than ER, but I didn't buy it.
After that, IMO, they just went further and further down hill to the point of becoming a parody of themselves.
One Hit to the Body is the only post Exile song I listen to.

Between the Buttons

Let It Bleed

Beggars Banquet

Satanic Majesty's Request

Get Your YaYas Out

All great albums.

Dude.
Prince?
Really??
His music is not my cup of tea, but denying his talent is insane. His influence and direct writing is vast.
And what a guitar player. Purple Rain is outstanding. Did you know he wrote that for Stevie Nicks? But she didn't do it because she thought it should be him doing it. She thought Prince was the most talented song writer of the time. Again, not for me, but his talent is HUGE.
Indisputable...

Dude.
Prince?
Really??
Prince was a wannabe Hendrix pussy!

Prince is untouchable. The dude outshined Michael Jackson by miles and miles.
He did everything himself. He wrote lyrics, wrote melody's wrote songs and melodies for some of the biggest names out there.
The guitar solo he did with Tom Petty.... shit.
Prince was talented for sure, but living in MN, it's all they play on the radio, over and over.
I switch stations when it comes on. Can't take it anymore.

I agree with all except Rush.

What the hell is wrong with you?
It's freaking Rush, c'mon man.

Rush?

You must be joking.

Michael Jackson - good lord man!

Watch his feet...there's a chord attached to that mike.

And he couldn't play an instrument...this is how he wrote...

He'd do this on a multi track in a night, and bring it into the studio.

His flaws notwithstanding, this is being blessed with talent.

Pink fucking Floyd
Yes
Bon Jovi
Van Halen
In fact all metal apart from Motorhead
Chicago
Reo Speedwagon
Lionel fucking Ritchie
Pet Shop Boys
Queen
Cliff Richard
Any rapper who hasnt been arrested or shot
Hall and Oates
Inxs
No Doubt
Spandau Ballet
Duran Duran
Genesis
Phil Collins
I will come back to this when |I have given more thought.
Hall and Oates?

No wonder I can't stand you.

I love their music.

Forum List

Back