What musicians do you believe are overrated ?

This should've been a poll. I definitely agree with those who said Springsteen. Also Grateful Dead (although I admit I haven't heard most of their music, never had the desire to listen to them.)

This should've been a poll. I definitely agree with those who said Springsteen. Also Grateful Dead (although I admit I haven't heard most of their music, never had the desire to listen to them.)

I like that "Casey Jones" song. :dunno:

Driving that train, out of cocaine

Hey man, cool, like that rhymes

It's a catchy song. :funnyface:

If you are stoned out of your mind

Driving that train, out of cocaine

Hey man, cool, like that rhymes

It's a catchy song. :funnyface:

If you are stoned out of your mind

I'm better stoned than you are sober, punk.

Fuck you, Pete Townshend is a genius. He was writing about issues that are only now starting to get attention paid to them
Pinball Wizard-what else? Guess who-these eyes, American woman, share the land, undun, laughing, no time,

Won't Get Fooled Again, Who Are You, Substitute, Love Reign O'er Me, My Generation, Behind Blue Eyes, etc. Etc. Etc.

You are a musical illiterate.

After reading this thread, I'm beginning to think most who have contributed to it are...
The guy at the start said, now don't get upset-I got 2 FU's already and I don't even like music.

Which is why you deserve the FU's, if you are here to troll, which you just admitted-NO-I never said that- I said I don't like music, though it was plain to see, then you are deserving of whatever abuse is heaped on you.

Hold on jackass-I gave my honest opinion-and you guys go overboard-I think the Guess Who outsold the Who-if you prove me wrong, I'll admit it, but I still think they were over rated. And stow the FU'S-it makes you sound uneducated and at a loss for real thoughts.

The Who. The Guess Who had way more hits.

Fuck you, Pete Townshend is a genius. He was writing about issues that are only now starting to get attention paid to them
Pinball Wizard-what else? Guess who-these eyes, American woman, share the land, undun, laughing, no time,

"American Woman" is The Guess Who, not The Who.

My favorite Who song is "Who are you?"
Yeah, not bad.

:fu:All you AC/DC bashers. Music doesn't have to be eclectic and sophisticated to be good.

AC/DC is far from overrated. It might be gritty, but it's good.

Last edited:
Neil is regarded by many as one of the top leads out there..his voice grates more than a little. But listen to the lead on 'Powder Finger' ! Each his own..Cowgirl in the Sand also pretty good for the lead.
I like some of his acoustic work like on The Needle and the Damage Done, but his lead like on Southern Man and going back to the Buffalo Springfield days is like nails on a chalkboard to me.

no eclectic range... their songs ALL sound the same. except for maybe
'shook me all night long' & 'hot for teacher' - they have no talent whatsoverrrrrrrrr.....................

my own personal judgment indicator for what makes a great band/musician is this:

if their music is still playing 100 years from now or is included in a time capsule, then they are worthy.

Van Halen revolutionized the rock and roll world. #1 guitarist the year before they emerged was a soap-opera actor named Rick Springfield. :booze:

AC/DC is not eclectic, they're in your face banging it out, and if you don't like it...:fu:

To me, that's the epitome of what it's all about. Angus Young is the 2nd best phraser ever behind B.B. King.
I love it! That's the way I roll, too.
So no..Boooo! Hiss!!!!!!!!!

I think you want "You light up my life" still #1 on the radio, huh?

<pfffft>

hendrix - best guitarist EVER.

in yer face? most hair bands sound the same & they all sound like they are choking on a ham sandwich.... i know, i know- marion -that most young males wanted to be like them.... i bet you sang & air guitared in front of the mirror too.... fess up now.

& debby boone? really?

lol.... seems like you don't know me at all..................

Oh, 'scuse me, Joan Baez type. :auiqs.jpg:
She's not talentless, though. Or wasn't, anyway.

my musical tastes are eclectic as well... sure, joan had a few good folksy songs along with the likes of peter, paul, & mary or joni mitchell

howeverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr i be a rock 'n roller. the difference between you & me though is i enjoy GOOD rock 'n roll.

btw- i think i was the only one on another thread (along with you) that knew who wendy O & the plasmatics were, so just hush up.

Do you like Boston?

they are ok. bought their first album when they first came out, but i equate them along the lines of the eagles; i can take 'em or leave 'em.

one thing for sure is i would rather listen to AC/DC or van halen over RUSH anyday. they make my ears bleed.

Elton John and Queen; if they weren't gay they'd be one hit wonders. I like Meat Loaf though but his rating is about right; good but not top shelf. Most sopranos; and that Aretha Franklin; screamers/screechers.

But this one is superb:

Amazing.

(And yes; weight challenged...but the VOICE!!!)

Greg

Both Elton John and Queen (Freddy Mercury) had a ton of hits before they ever came out as gay.

Elton John and Queen; if they weren't gay they'd be one hit wonders. I like Meat Loaf though but his rating is about right; good but not top shelf. Most sopranos; and that Aretha Franklin; screamers/screechers.

But this one is superb:

Amazing.

(And yes; weight challenged...but the VOICE!!!)

Greg

Uh, both Elton and Queen had MORE than one hit. Most of Queen was not gay.

Lots of beautiful music as well as hits by either one. If doing guys was a prerequisite for all those great songs, I say stuff another one in is mouth. Bring on the tunes.

I disagree. Queen's music was mostly stock and Elton had a couple of catchy songs but only "Candle" was a cut above and he didn't write most of his music. Queen had Bohemian and that was outstanding but more for its novelty.They became "icons" by being pushed by, shall we say, the flamboyant media.

Greg

Elton John wrote nearly all his music. He didn't write the lyrics.

Threads like this are overrated. There are artists that aren't my thing but that doesn't make them overrated.

I was never a fan of U2 but does that make them overrated? No.

Springsteen might not have wrote some of the greatest songs but he got his reputation from playing live. Playing all out for 4 hours. Many rate his 1978 New Year Eve's concert as one of the best ever.

Many musicians are never able to write even one song but Pete Townsend wrote album after album of songs. I was never a huge Who fan but that's irrelevant. I will note that I do love Slit Skirts.

The Grateful Dead was never about being a great band. They probably sold more tickets though than all but a very few. I have to give them props for allowing people to record their shows.

I was never a huge Rush fan but their musicianship is right there at the top. One should respect that if you appreciate music even if you don't care for theirs.

Dylan isn't Dylan because he sang pretty. Dylan is Dylan in many ways the same way Neil Young is. They both had a way with words and could put those words to music.

One of my favorites is Tom Waits. Never had a hit himself but had a ton of people cover his songs and make them a hit. My wife says he should stick to writing and not sing but I disagree. Lol

I always considered Frank Zappa in the same way as I do the RHCP. Kinda juvenile lyrics backed by great music. Does that make them overrated? No. It simply means that was their thing.

Clapton has a nice voice writes a good story and plays clean guitar.
Greg Allman is great nice voice, good story, His drummers and guitarists and bass guys are glean and good.
Chicago always writes a good tune with a great horn section.
CSN was super talented told a good story. Great harmony and excellent guitar. Good night all

Forum List

Back