What makes doing drugs immoral?

SuperDemocrat

Gold Member
Mar 4, 2015
What makes doing drugs immoral? I realize that doing drugs is extremely unhealthy and dangerous but why is there a moral judgement about it?

Some of them make things that are considered "sins" more enjoyable?

From the behavior that results...

... neglect of children, stealing to support the habit...

... a general attitude of 'don't give a shit about anyone else'.

a lot of this depends on the drugs....fucking meth users are worthless....some woman was smoking meth in the garage while 4 animals raped her 9 yr old....i am not going to provide links to this type of stuff....you can google and see the horrors...vancouver now provides a safe haven for addicts to shot up...clean needles etc and medical help if they od...the first and only place in north american to do this...while pot smokers are in jail....heroin addiction is raising its head once again...seems middle american has discovered pharms are pricey and heroin is not....both are in the long run ...i am all for the legalization of drugs....and the consequences that will follow....in most countries there is a useage drop ...i dont know about this country...it could be free for all for a while then level out...

There is nothing immoral about doing drugs
It's a choice that is all
Drugs don't cause crime people do

Most people who use drugs have jobs, don't neglect their kids, or commit crimes

Portugal decriminalized all drugs over a decade ago and has actually seen drug use decline and the health of drug users increase

most people who use drugs....come on skull....it depends on the type of drug they are using.....and yes pot smokers look down on meth heads etc and so forth...do you know any meth heads.....they are truly fucked up and will remain so as long as possible...

a lot of countries that have gone totally legal...have much stronger moral compasses than the us....the majority of portugal is roman catholic...giving them that authority and all.....that is why i say it will be different if done here

most people who use drugs....come on skull....it depends on the type of drug they are using.....and yes pot smokers look down on meth heads etc and so forth...do you know any meth heads.....they are truly fucked up and will remain so as long as possible...

What percentage of all drug users are meth users?

I've known people who have smoked pot almost daily for decades and who have done coke, shrooms, acid, and even heroin recreationally and none of them have ever neglected their kids or stole in fact most of tem have reduced their drug use as they have gotten older

In my late 20s I used to do coke and speed recreationally and I never lost a job or didn't pay my bills because of it

I'm willing to bet there are a hell of a lot more people like these out there then the hard core drug addicts

a lot of countries that have gone totally legal...have much stronger moral compasses than the us....the majority of portugal is roman catholic...giving them that authority and all.....that is why i say it will be different if done here
It has nothing to do with morality

What makes doing drugs immoral? I realize that doing drugs is extremely unhealthy and dangerous but why is there a moral judgement about it?

What about drugging other people without their knowledge..... with psychotropics, diuretics, amphetamines, Barbiturates and other classes of drugs ? People unknowingly drugged till the drugs take effect......like me.

Shadow 355

me, me, me, me, me, ME, ME, ME. That's why.

In the last 30 years there have been multiple efforts to treat addiction as a health issue. Subsequently the attitudes nationwide reflect this but not enough to do anything about it.

I think you will find that much of the "moral judgement" comes from people who have had to "clean up the mess" from addicts.

Thugs that like to tell people how to live their lives like ted cruz says it is...Doesn't mean it is...What happened to that personal freedom?

This really wasn't going to be political but considering that we now have to buy health insurance...

a lot of this depends on the drugs....fucking meth users are worthless....some woman was smoking meth in the garage while 4 animals raped her 9 yr old....i am not going to provide links to this type of stuff....you can google and see the horrors...vancouver now provides a safe haven for addicts to shot up...clean needles etc and medical help if they od...the first and only place in north american to do this...while pot smokers are in jail....heroin addiction is raising its head once again...seems middle american has discovered pharms are pricey and heroin is not....both are in the long run ...i am all for the legalization of drugs....and the consequences that will follow....in most countries there is a useage drop ...i dont know about this country...it could be free for all for a while then level out...

I definately agree that bad things happen to people while they are on drugs but is the act by itself immoral? That was the point I was trying to get at. Why is it considered immoral?

Would it be considered less immoral if someone shot up and nothing bad happen to them or their kids?

---
As an ethical Libertarian, i believe drug use is the final decision by the mature individual, not gov.
However, gov should advise on drug effects.

Having said the above, i personally do NOT advocate consistent usage of ANY drugs; i prefer the natural state of being.
On the other hand, experimental short-term use of some mind-altering drugs is psychologically interesting, like LSD.

Forum List

Back