What I've learned from the Bible

Aquarian

Oct 16, 2003
The bible teaches many things. Some people accept all the lessons, some only a portion, some few or none. I thought I might take a moment to list the lessons I've taken to heart (some with caveats). I'll not be talking about the ones I have reservations about in this thread, just the ones I'm attempting to incorporate into my life.

"Judge not, lest ye be judged."

This, along with "vengeance is mine, sayeth the lord", is one I try to follow. It's not easy to do all the time, especially when cut off in traffic. I also make allowances for earthly judgements to be passed on those who would try to or have cut short the earthly stay of others altho I balk at the ultimate punishment as a general rule.

"As you do unto the least among you, so you do unto me"

As said by Jesus. This one seems straightforward, treat every single person with the same respect that you would Jesus himself. But perhaps it's not as cleancut as that. For instance, how would you follow this principle in regards to a pathological killer? Certainly, you wouldn't lock jesus up in a mental ward, would you? Well, maybe you'd have to. Maybe, if Jesus chose to appear as a killer, the proper course would be to restrain him and attempt treatment in as humane a way as possible. Dunno, this one can make the brain hurt at times...

Thou shalt not kill

Another clear message seemingly. Doesn't really leave much leeway when written that way. On the other hand, there is question as to the actual meaning of the hebrew word used in the original "ratsach", whether it was the word for kill or murder. I don't have on hand the references, but from what I've read, translated one way forbids all taking of life period, no exceptions (kill) whereas the other way (murder) was a more specific kind of killing that was forbidden. We all draw the line somewhere, but theoretically there can be only one right answer. Where does that line belong, what types of killing might be ok? self-defense, defense of country, defense of others, etc. There are those amongst us who are willing to 'turn the other cheek' no matter how grave the offense, but it is clear that others who are not.

Thou Shalt not steal

Generally a good one, but in times of hunger I don't think I'd have any problem reverting to Harlan Ellison's rules on property ownership: "If it's not nailed down, it's mine. If it was nailed down, but I can pry it loose, it wasn't nailed down properly to begin with and therefor is mine" (from memory, apologies to Mr Ellison if i've gotten it wrong)

I'll stop there and see if I've gone around the bend in thinking this would be a good thing to discuss here or not based on the comments received...

That's a good list, with thoughtful commentary. I'll sign up.

This, along with "vengeance is mine, sayeth the lord", is one I try to follow. It's not easy to do all the time, especially when cut off in traffic. I also make allowances for earthly judgements to be passed on those who would try to or have cut short the earthly stay of others altho I balk at the ultimate punishment as a general rule.

It should be noted, that this is often misunderstood and taken out of context, and that Christians are told to accept one another -Christians or not- as brothers and equals. We are to told in other passages to condemn the sin, and call out false teachings. We are told to not associate with the false teachers nor the people who are unGodly. This DOES NOT mean we would condemn the person themselves. Since we are human, we may fall that way, but it is something to overcome.

We are told not to judge the person. -We are however to condemn the sinful behavior.

Very good lessons to learn. You might add into the first one "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." That's one I take to heart. As for the fifth commandment, most modern scholars agree that the word means murder, since the journey of the Hebrews ended with a genocidal war against Canaan. These are all definitely lessons I take to heart, along with, "Love your enemies and treat your neighbor as yourself," "Honor thy father and mother," "Whatsoever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might," and the slightly less accepted, "Go forth unto all nations...and preach the gospel." (sections ommitted were just listing examples of places to go)

Wow, two posts while I was typing. Well, NewGuy, that is an attitude I always try to take, which actually goes over quite well with many. Some people, such as Muslims and homosexuals, become shocked to find out that I'm a born again Christian simply because of the fact that I seem to accept them as human beings. I tell them that although I do see homosexuality condemned several times in the Bible, it's on the same list with lieing, something I have done quite often.

Originally posted by Hobbit
....... although I do see homosexuality condemned several times in the Bible, it's on the same list with lieing, something I have done quite often.

Homosexuality is NOT on the same list as lying.

Sin is sin, which all saddens God. But He singles out certain 'abominations. Sodom, Jerusalem, homosexuality.

Originally posted by Aquarian
The bible teaches many things. Some people accept all the lessons, some only a portion, some few or none. I thought I might take a moment to list the lessons I've taken to heart (some with caveats). I'll not be talking about the ones I have reservations about in this thread, just the ones I'm attempting to incorporate into my life.

"As you do unto the least among you, so you do unto me"

As said by Jesus. This one seems straightforward, treat every single person with the same respect that you would Jesus himself. But perhaps it's not as cleancut as that. For instance, how would you follow this principle in regards to a pathological killer? Certainly, you wouldn't lock jesus up in a mental ward, would you? Well, maybe you'd have to. Maybe, if Jesus chose to appear as a killer, the proper course would be to restrain him and attempt treatment in as humane a way as possible. Dunno, this one can make the brain hurt at times...

Thou shalt not kill

Another clear message seemingly. Doesn't really leave much leeway when written that way. On the other hand, there is question as to the actual meaning of the hebrew word used in the original "ratsach", whether it was the word for kill or murder. I don't have on hand the references, but from what I've read, translated one way forbids all taking of life period, no exceptions (kill) whereas the other way (murder) was a more specific kind of killing that was forbidden. We all draw the line somewhere, but theoretically there can be only one right answer. Where does that line belong, what types of killing might be ok? self-defense, defense of country, defense of others, etc. There are those amongst us who are willing to 'turn the other cheek' no matter how grave the offense, but it is clear that others who are not.

Thou Shalt not steal

Generally a good one, but in times of hunger I don't think I'd have any problem reverting to Harlan Ellison's rules on property ownership: "If it's not nailed down, it's mine. If it was nailed down, but I can pry it loose, it wasn't nailed down properly to begin with and therefor is mine" (from memory, apologies to Mr Ellison if i've gotten it wrong)

I'll stop there and see if I've gone around the bend in thinking this would be a good thing to discuss here or not based on the comments received...

What always confused me - while on the subject of homosexuality (spelling?) is this - I was told God loves all things so why is this such a sin? Never understood that at all...second...and this is really far out...God loves all things - does he hate Satan?

As for the others, yes turning the other cheek is the hardest thing to do...but don't you find that hours later when you have cooled off you feel better for it? Somehow you also gain more respect from others....instead of being this hot head you are considered cool calm and collective but if they only had access to what you were thinking!

Originally posted by winston churchi
What always confused me - while on the subject of homosexuality (spelling?) is this - I was told God loves all things so why is this such a sin? Never understood that at all...second...and this is really far out...God loves all things - does he hate Satan?

1. Are you aware of the saying taken from scripture "love the sinner, hate the sin"? God does not love all things, God IS love; there is a difference. He loves the homosexual not the homosexual lifestyle.

2. Does it matter?

... - does he hate Satan?

As for the others, yes turning the other cheek is the hardest thing to do...but don't you find that hours later when you have cooled off you feel better for it? Somehow you also gain more respect from others....instead of being this hot head you are considered cool calm and collective but if they only had access to what you were thinking!

As I understand, and I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong, God loves satan still. Before he was cast out he was Lucifer, one of the arch angels. He and God had a disagreement about what to do with man and God cast him out of heaven to show him the error of his ways. I don't know if there is a path to reconcilliation available to satan or not...

and for the latter, yes I am usually glad when I am able to turn the other cheek but must admit to sometimes relishing those moments when I fired back verbally. I cannot recall a single instance of fighting back with an intent to cause harm, tho on occaision I have physically restrained the offender in ways that may have been painful.

also, thank you all for your comments so far, very interesting.

Yes indeed my friend, I have found that when I cool down and don't respond with anger and hatred that people listen to what I have to say and I feel better about myself.;)

Originally posted by Joz
1. Are you aware of the saying taken from scripture "love the sinner, hate the sin"? God does not love all things, God IS love; there is a difference. He loves the homosexual not the homosexual lifestyle.

While I have no doubt this saying should be practiced more. i am not sure it really is a scripture. ive read the bible many times and I dont remember seeing it once.

It doesn't come out and say "Love the sinner. Hate the sin." It does, however, tell you to hate sin in some places, and, in others, it tells us to love everyone. So there we go.

As for Satan, I'm sure God doesn't like the concept of having one of his beloved archangels now his arch nemisis. However, God is a just God, and Satan rebelled against him.

Originally posted by Hobbit
As for Satan, I'm sure God doesn't like the concept of having one of his beloved archangels now his arch nemisis. However, God is a just God, and Satan rebelled against him.

but not just that, according to the bible, god is all knowing past present and future, so having satan as his nemesis has to be part of his plan. you could also say that people's sins are part of the plan, and the eternal torment too... kinda creepy eh. or maybe i've just read one sci fi book too many :)

As for what Ive learned from the Bible, I think that most of it is summed up in James 1:5-6

"5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

6 But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed."

Its the key to everything. If you want to know something. Ask God. If you want to know if Jesus really is the Messiah. Ask God, and then you can learn from the Fater as Peter did that Jesus is the Christ. You can learn all truth from the Father, if you ask in Faith nothing wavering.

Originally posted by Aquarian
but not just that, according to the bible, god is all knowing past present and future, so having satan as his nemesis has to be part of his plan. you could also say that people's sins are part of the plan, and the eternal torment too... kinda creepy eh. or maybe i've just read one sci fi book too many :)

I think it's like Adam. God gave them both free will knowing that they would abuse it, but he gave them that will, anyway.

Originally posted by Sir Evil
Well not that anybody will care, but I have learned that the bible hurts whe it hit's you in the head!! I know first hand from when I saw Stryper in concert, the singer was throwing them into to the audience to spread the word and darn near knocked me out!:D

Is that the truth or is it how you've interpreted it?

Well it's only partly true! I actually went to see TNT but had to endure the hit on the head anyway! Otherwise it's very much the truth! Think I would lie about a bible? what would that make me?:)

:cof:

Well not that anybody will care, but I have learned that the bible hurts whe it hit's you in the head!! I know first hand from when I saw Stryper in concert, the singer was throwing them into to the audience to spread the word and darn near knocked me out!:D

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Thats funny dude.:D

Forum List

Back