Is Generalizing Moral?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by William Joyce, Apr 5, 2004.

1. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    One thing that puts our homeland at risk, in my view, is our reluctance to generalize about racial, ethnic and national groups. If someone had said, "You know, young Arab men from country X and country Y are apt to be terrorists, so let's not let them in," 9/11 would not have happened. Period.

But beyond that, folks both right and left seem to think that "generalizing" about races or other groups is the height of evil. While conceding that it can have ill effects, is it ALWAYS a bad thing? What if it will save lives, and the costs will be minimal?

I'll start it off this way. I suppose that we could have treated Mohammad Atta as an "individual," and "not judged him by the color of his skin" or where he was from. We could have sat him down, had tea with him, and talked about all the wonderful things we have in common. But how much effort would it take to do that for every camel jockey who tries to get in here? Would you be willing to pay for the salaries of 50 thousand more immigration minders, all of whom would get to know all comers as "individuals"? With your tax dollars? Would this be a wise expenditure?

2. NewGuy

NewGuy Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    It is ok to generalize as taking the bird's eye view of something.

Where it becomes bad is when you cannot directly link (conclusively) a cause and effect relationship down to the individual smallest level.

3. NewGuy

NewGuy Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Case in point:

A muslim believes the koran. The koran, in no uncertain terms promotes killing Jews and Christians. It ENCOURAGES it.

As such, if you are muslim, wether you choose to follow the koran to a "t" or not, you are suspect.

4. Reilly

Reilly Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    The Koran does not wholeheartedly encourage the killing of Christians and Jews.

"there is to be no compulsion in religion" (2:256)

Further, Jews and Christians were viewed by Muhammad as "People of the Book," people who had also received a revelation and a scripture from God (the Torah for Jews and the Gospels for Christians). Jews and Christians in early Muslim empires were not killed, but were required to pay a poll or head tax in exchange for the protection of the Sultan and the right to live Muslim territory. The Koran is for the most part a tolerant book.

5. William Joyce

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    Good point.

6. NewGuy

NewGuy Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Do you REALLY want to debate the koran? Do you have something there you can take the whole context of?

We have discussed topics before that you have not proven a valid point on, and I REALLY don't want to waste my time on this one while I am working.

7. jon_forward

jon_forward Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5
    :bsflag: What would have stopped them from taking over a plane bound for...say ..Montreal or Toronto, Canada? By the time anyone knew what was up, it would have happened. If they want to strike at you, they will try. Remember that safety measures now in place wouldnt be in place without 9/11. I Have several friends that are from the ME, and all hold their native countrys in contempt for the way they have let shit slide.Do our borders need tighten up? Yes they do, but not to the point you would like. there was a wall in Europe once that WE knocked down. It doest need to be rebuilt here!

8. Reilly

Reilly Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    The Koran is not my strong point, and I acknowledge that it does in some place allow for violence towards non-believers; but taken as a whole, it is far more tolerant than the Old Testament. As for our discussions, generally, discussion requires the exchange of ideas, and the closest thing to an idea that you have provided involved me finding my place with God (or sitting in a chair with him, or some nonsense like that). Frankly, not a very intellectual example of debate.

9. William Joyce

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    "What would have stopped them from taking over a plane bound for...say ..Montreal or Toronto, Canada?"

The point is that they were able to operate inside the U.S., board planes in Boston, and even take FLYING LESSONS here, all unnoticed because "America is a diverse country, and diversity is our strength."

Bullshit. It's killing us.

And jerks like you are cheering it on.:mad:

10. jon_forward

jon_forward Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I advocate deversity, true. How does that make me a supporter of terrorism as you have implied?!!! 9/11 was a wake-up call to this nation. pure and simple. we as a nation were caught with our guard down. This hopefully will never happen again.If you really want to make things right, lets give this nation back to the rightful owners and return to where we came from.