What is your most memorable location that you have visited?

I think the coolest place I have been at one moment was in the middle of no where Wyomning, we had driven probably 45 minutes out on the ranch my brother lives on fourwheelers and you could probably see for a 100 miles. Watching the sun go down out there was awesome.

a little pot always makes things better....:cool:

Sleeping out in the flatland dessert about midway between San Diego and Tucon AZ.

For a boy from the mountains of PA, seeing the stars from horizon to horizon, North South East and West, and then watching the moon sail the same course from horizon to horizon was fairly memorable.

me and some buddies used to go out into the Mohave and spend the night under the stars....incredible

This is one place I'd really like to visit at some point in my life:

Uluru-600x400.jpg

Just wondering what is your most memorable place that you have visited? One that you will never forget. City, forrest, or where ever.

Mine is one that I've been to on several occasions, the fishing is great for Cutthroat Trout, and tucked away in the Bridger moutain range out of Bozeman Mt. It's called Fairy Lake, and is an extinct volcano. It very shallow around the edges, and becomes very deep towards the center. It's a small lake, and here is a link to it.
On Black: Fairy Lake, Montana by aorr [Large]

Everytime I go back to it, it just reinforces how I feel about this location.

Chichen Itza (sp?) It's been more than 30 years and I still remember it......The steps going up to the main pyramid were so steep and so narrow, inside the pyramid, going down the steps were wet and slick, I was sure I was gonna die. You get to the bottom and then you get to see a replica of the original stone they found with the supposed "astronaut". Then you climb back up inside and look down those very steep very narrow steps. I finally sat down on my rear and started going down. My friends looked at me like I was crazy and then soon, every one was doing the same thing.....lol. Nobody fell down the pyramid that day.

The cenote (sp?) the ballpark, even the old temple....all of it was beautiful and full of history. In the forest was a small house where they sold souvenirs.. There was a big cockatoo they had for a pet and when I remarked on it, the lady asked me if I wanted to hold it. I held out my hand and this big bird gets on my hand. All the people with me were taking pictures...meanwhile my hand was getting tired and that bird didn't want to leave......it tried to bite anybody that tried to take it from me. Never occurred to me to just drop my arm....lol. If that lady hadn't come back, I'd probably still be standing there with a very achy arm....

If I ever have a chance, I would like to see the Pyramids at Giza...It would be interesting to compare....I'd also like to see the Inca ruins in Peru.

Note: I live in Atlanta, GA. NOT Savannah, GA.

Go to google maps. Get driving directions. You will note Atlanta is several hours INLAND from Savannah. Savannah is on the ATLANTIC COAST of GA.

Atlanta is smackdab in the N/W/Central part of GA. Nowhere close to Savannah.

Hence: It wasn't me. Dingleberry! :cuckoo:

Have you ever visited, Andersonville?

Andersonville where? :eusa_think:

Don't believe I have.

Andersonville is in Georgia not far from Columbus, Ga. It was the confederates POW camp for the yanks. I was there a couple of times, and found it to be very interesting place. It was set up for something like 13,000 prisoners, and they ended up with over 30,000. After the war there were a lot of necks stretched because of the conditions that the prisoners had to endure. What my wife and I experienced was how heavy the air seemed within the compound itself. There is a huge cemetary on the grounds.
Andersonville National Historic Site (U.S. National Park Service)

Have you ever visited, Andersonville?

Andersonville where? :eusa_think:

Don't believe I have.

Andersonville is in Georgia not far from Columbus, Ga. It was the confederates POW camp for the yanks. I was there a couple of times, and found it to be very interesting place. It was set up for something like 13,000 prisoners, and they ended up with over 30,000. After the war there were a lot of necks stretched because of the conditions that the prisoners had to endure. What my wife and I experienced was how heavy the air seemed within the compound itself. There is a huge cemetary on the grounds.
Andersonville National Historic Site (U.S. National Park Service)

Thanks for the info. Nope. Never been to Andersonville, but now that you tell the story, I recall it from my GA History classes in high school.

See, there are MANY of those kinds of places all around GA. Pickett's Mill. Kolb Farm. Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield. Chickamauga. There's a Confederate Cemetary and Union Cemetary in Marietta (they are separate, as would be fitting during that time).

I played in Confederate trenches in the woods behind my parents house as a kid. My brother and I found belt buckles, canteens, musket balls, mini-balls, a rotting pair of socks, a holster.....all kinds of artifacts which our parents turned over to the Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Museum.

We are literally surrounded by Civil War history. I see it every day. I drive by Pickett's Mill Battlefield and Kennesaw Mountain Battlefield 2-4 times a day when school is in session. The ghosts abound around here. The few buildings Sherman left standing are stark reminders of our countrymen turning on one another, and shedding each other's blood. Brother against brother. Father against son.

It was not America's finest hour, nor was the treatment meted out to the surivors in the south once the War of Northern Agression hostilties ended.

I hope we have learned from our past and we never see such bloodshed of Americans again.

Pikes Peak. I lived in Colorado Springs for years, my parents and younger brother are still there. This view was close to the one we saw from our dining room window every day, sometimes I still miss it terribly.
PP-ManitouIncline.jpg

Note: the red rocks on the bottom left are part of Garden of the Gods.
Here's a close picture to give some perspective.

garden.of.the.gods.c09_1996.L4.01c-700.jpg

Last edited:
Just wondering what is your most memorable place that you have visited? One that you will never forget. City, forrest, or where ever.

Mine is one that I've been to on several occasions, the fishing is great for Cutthroat Trout, and tucked away in the Bridger moutain range out of Bozeman Mt. It's called Fairy Lake, and is an extinct volcano. It very shallow around the edges, and becomes very deep towards the center. It's a small lake, and here is a link to it.
On Black: Fairy Lake, Montana by aorr [Large]

Everytime I go back to it, it just reinforces how I feel about this location.

Toss up between Groom Lake, (Area 51), and the Gettysburg battle field.

Pikes Peak. I lived in Colorado Springs for years, my parents and younger brother are still there. This view was close to the one we saw from our dining room window every day, sometimes I still miss it terribly.
PP-ManitouIncline.jpg

That's an incredible photo off the Garden of the Gods, Ringel

PP-ManitouIncline.jpg

I love Colorado Springs!! Another really great place to visit...with tons of stuff to do and see. I've taken the cog wheel train ride to Pike's Peak...very beautiful! Pike's Peak Cog Railway - The world's highest cog railroad, the highest Colorado railroad AND highest train in the United States.

Then there are also all of the cool shops and restaurants at the base of the peak to visit.

For little kids...the North Pole/Santa's Village. More cool little shops/game rooms and rides.

North Pole Santa's Workshop in Colorado at the foot of Pikes Peak

The Alpine Slides.

Cave Of The Winds... a bit smaller version of Carlsbad Caverns but very cool. With guided tours...some of which have you crawing on your hands and knees though dark tunnels (at least they did when I was there several years ago).

Cave of the Winds | Colorado Springs Natural Attractions

Forum List

Back