What is the greatest DC scandal of all time?

Dear all,

I am an international student who is currently living in Washington, D.C.
For a class assignment, I have to interview as many people as possible to find out the answer to the following questions:

- What is the greatest DC scandal of all time?
- Why do you think so?
- Why is it still important?

Would you please be so kind to give your honest opinion on these questions? Thank you all very much in advance!

Romy, you are fortunate to be living in such interesting times.

Nothing in our country's history compares to what you, I trust, are recognizing and appreciating every day and non-stop from the Obama White House.

And let's deal with the, "Bush did it too!" arguments.

Bottom line, Bush's sins of omission or commission were never aimed at hurting or taking advantage of America or Americans for his own personal political gain and W never treated callously this Country or his fellow Americans.

I hope you are able to not only see that this President has made good on his promise to fundamentally transform America and part of that transformation includes new problems we've seldom encountered.

When has a President ever so thoroughly and completely co-opted our entire mainstream journalism community?

That could be the THE biggest scandal ever.

But there are just so damn many big scandals going on in this administration that you can't stop on just the one or two lest you miss the big picture, the scope of the lies and abuses of power and position, the secret dealings which led to the Benghazi deaths, the subsequent cover up of the American involvement there, using government departments as his own personal Gestapo forces to investigate and punish and thereby intimidate Americans. A surreptitious attempt to gain total control of the American people by making us all dependent on Government health care and the effort to make us subjects of the all powerful Big Brother state, the fast and furious weapons scandal, we are seeing all sorts of new problems arise every week it's something new and it just keeps getting worse.

Romy, the depth, breadth and degree of the scandals taking place 'on Obama's watch' are historic and choosing only ONE to focus on may be your greatest challenge.

Last edited:
Watergate ~ hands down.

It shook the presidency and drove a sitting president out of office, leaving him in utter disgrace.

Top Constitutional Experts: Obama Is Worse than Nixon
Posted on May 15, 2013 by WashingtonsBlog

Objective Analysis: Obama Versus Nixon

In the wake of the twin scandals of the IRS targeting conservative groups and the Department of Justice spying on AP reporters, the comparisons between Obama and Nixon are everywhere.

But what do experts say?

Former New York Times general counsel James Goodale – who represented the paper during its Pentagon Papers fight with the Nixon administration – said in an interview yesterday that Obama is worse than Nixon when it comes to press freedoms. And see this.

Former constitutional lawyer Glenn Greenwald noted last year:

We supposedly learned important lessons from the abuses of power of the Nixon administration, and then of the Bush administration: namely, that we don’t trust government officials to exercise power in the dark, with no judicial oversight, with no obligation to prove their accusations. Yet now we hear exactly this same mentality issuing from Obama, his officials and defenders to justify a far more extreme power than either Nixon or Bush dreamed of asserting: he’s only killing The Bad Citizens, so there’s no reason to object!

Jonathan Turley – perhaps the top constitutional law expert in the United States (and a liberal) – writes:

The painful fact is that Barack Obama is the president that Nixon always wanted to be.

Four decades ago, Nixon was halted in his determined effort to create an “imperial presidency” with unilateral powers and privileges. In 2013, Obama wields those very same powers openly and without serious opposition. The success of Obama in acquiring the long-denied powers of Nixon is one of his most remarkable, if ignoble, accomplishments. Consider a few examples:​

[...]

Daniel Ellsberg notes that Obama’s claimed power to indefinitely detain people without charges or access to a lawyer or the courts is a power that even King George didn’t claim. Former judge and adjunct professor of constitutional law Andrew Napolitano points out that Obama’s claim that he can indefinitely detain prisoners even after they are acquitted of their crimes is a power that even Hitler and Stalin didn’t claim.

Indeed, Obama has turned America into the most spied upon nation in world history, and has rolled back liberties to the time of the enactment of the Magna Carta in 1215.

Top Constitutional Experts: Obama Is Worse than Nixon Washington's Blog

This is from the Washington Post.

I'd say their opinion is probably THE most authoritative when it comes to comparing Obama to Nixon.

They say Obama is FAAAAR WORSE than Nixon.

Now, who can dispute the WashPo on THIS matter???

Indeed, Obama has turned America into the most spied upon nation in world history, and has rolled back liberties to the time of the enactment of the Magna Carta in 1215.

Wild-eyed hyperbole? The Magna Carta?

Dear all,

I am an international student who is currently living in Washington, D.C.
For a class assignment, I have to interview as many people as possible to find out the answer to the following questions:

- What is the greatest DC scandal of all time?
- Why do you think so?
- Why is it still important?

Would you please be so kind to give your honest opinion on these questions? Thank you all very much in advance!

Wow...that's a tough one and I have given it a great deal of thought. My answer is JFK and the Bay Of Pigs invasion followed closely by the Cuban missile crisis. The vast majority of the citizens will never fully understand exactly how close we came to an all out thermo-nuclear war with Russia. We were actually minutes away from committal. This was not a democrat/republican thing, but more of a East/West type thing. Communism versus Capitalism.

It was the first time modern Americans were in real danger of having a war on their front porches.

However, the "good guy with nuclear weapons" stopped the "bad guy nuclear weapons".

You know, CONTAINMENT.

Maybe Sarah Palin is smarter than her critics.

And since with the mention of her name the 2008 presidential election came to mind. Rates as a scandal, but dwarfed by the 2012 presidential election, which was won by the biggest lie in American history.

If you like this opinion, you can keep it. Period.

Mike Shanahan leaving RGIII in the game against Seattle

- 1. Nixon/Agnew. 2. Southern senators in 1860 setting the state for a war of southern aggression. 3. The Tea Party members that tried to topple the government last fall but failed.
- Why is obvious in every case.
- It is still important because folks like Nixon/Agnew, Jefferson Davis et al, and the TPM arise in every generation as perversions of constitutional principles.

Only a fool like yourself would make these comparisons. Gee, I find it rather odd that you didn't include that piece of crap Bill Clinton. I guess being impeached doesn't matter in your world, huh?

God bless the Tea Party!!
Clinton was a democrat and as we all know, Jake is a "republican". Yeah, I know, it just doesn't make sense to me either.

Forum List

Back