What Is the Best MLB Single Game Individual Performance, Ever ?

The one I recall as a kid was hearing that Braves pitcher Tony Cloninger threw a complete game while hitting 2 grand slams and driving in 9 runs in a 17-3 victory over the Giants.
1692496707070.png

As with all of these "what was the ________ ever" questions; you have to be aware of it...then you have to rate it. Its completely subjective. While 2 grand slams in one inning is impressive; it's much more a function of fortunate circumstances. Still they have to hit it so it's a job well done. Kirk Gibson's HR when he was injured? Again...great and I remember watching it live. But still...a home run is a swing of the bat. Again...Its completely subjective.

Here is mine...

April 1986...Roger Clemens. While not his rookie year, he was young and the season had just started. He strikes out 20 batters facing a very good Tigers team that had won the World Series a season or two before if I recall. The 86 team featured Trammell, Whitaker, Parrish and yes even Kirk Gibson. Anyway, Clemns goes out there and strikes out 20. The box score is referenced above...it's really impressive; a complete game shut out. I didn't see the game but I've heard people talk about how dominant he was.

A bit of a back story. This was, of course, the team that would go on to face the Mets in the WS that year. I was living in Houston at the time and the Mets would beat the Astros to get to the World Series. It was probably the last season I really paid attention from opening day until the end of the year. I think I attended five or six games that year if memory serves (unusual for me).

An honorable mention for me was Wade Boggs when he was a Yankee (hiss) in the World Series. He was brought in as a pinch hitter late in the game--10th inning. Bases loaded. The crowd is going crazy. The pressure is incredible. Boggs...doesn't swing the bat once except for a tactical foul off. There were also 2 outs. I think 98% of the players in MLB history try to put the ball in play in that situation. HOF players included.

Fernando Tatis of the Cardinals hit two Grand Slams in ONE INNING…..a record that will never be broken

PEDS.

As with all of these "what was the ________ ever" questions; you have to be aware of it...then you have to rate it. Its completely subjective. While 2 grand slams in one inning is impressive; it's much more a function of fortunate circumstances. Still they have to hit it so it's a job well done. Kirk Gibson's HR when he was injured? Again...great and I remember watching it live. But still...a home run is a swing of the bat. Again...Its completely subjective.

Here is mine...

April 1986...Roger Clemens. While not his rookie year, he was young and the season had just started. He strikes out 20 batters facing a very good Tigers team that had won the World Series a season or two before if I recall. The 86 team featured Trammell, Whitaker, Parrish and yes even Kirk Gibson. Anyway, Clemns goes out there and strikes out 20. The box score is referenced above...it's really impressive; a complete game shut out. I didn't see the game but I've heard people talk about how dominant he was.

A bit of a back story. This was, of course, the team that would go on to face the Mets in the WS that year. I was living in Houston at the time and the Mets would beat the Astros to get to the World Series. It was probably the last season I really paid attention from opening day until the end of the year. I think I attended five or six games that year if memory serves (unusual for me).

An honorable mention for me was Wade Boggs when he was a Yankee (hiss) in the World Series. He was brought in as a pinch hitter late in the game--10th inning. Bases loaded. The crowd is going crazy. The pressure is incredible. Boggs...doesn't swing the bat once except for a tactical foul off. There were also 2 outs. I think 98% of the players in MLB history try to put the ball in play in that situation. HOF players included.
Clemens ? No. Not impressive when steroids are at work. Why in the world do people talk about performances and performance records regarding steroid players ?

For years, people claimed that Mark McGuire had broken Roger Maris' 61 home run a season record, as if it was a legitimate thing. Google right this minute, lists Barry Bonds as the single season individual home run leader. :rolleyes:

EARTH TO GOOGLE et al: Steroid players cannot have performance records. Only thing able to be reported for them, of any significance, is what team they played for, what position in the field, and the dates.

Last edited:
Clemens ? No. Not impressive when steroids are at work. Why in the world do people talk about performances and performance records regarding steroid players ?

For years, people claimed that Mark McGuire had broken Roger Maris' 61 home run a season record, as if it was a legitimate thing. Google right this minute, lists Barry Bonds as the single season individual home run leader. :rolleyes:

EARTH TO GOOGLE et al: Steroid players cannot have performance records. Only thing able to be reported for them, of any significance, is what team they played for, what position in the field, and the dates.
It was 1986.:rolleyes:

Yeah, i’d probably switch to Reggie Jackson 3HR WS game vs. LA Dodgers (Bob Welch) As someone posted above. That was huge in a big moment.

edit: David Freese game 6 vs. Texas saved the WS chance. But he doesn’t get a chance without Berkman & others. IT IS A TEAM SPORT.

does Pujols (at HOU) or 300lb Sandoval Panda (@DET) 3HR WS games get same mention? Pujols game might have been an elimination game?

if I had to pick a pitcher (they should be in another catagory) I would pick Bumgartner in 2012 vs. CIN, vs. STL, vs. KC to winit all. He grinded thru game after gane w/o fail.

Last edited:
That is the question. It's been a hefty 154 years, since the first professional baseball game was played by the Cincinatti Red Stockings. Thousands of games have been played, all over the US and in Canada.

So to narrow down to ONE PLAYER in just ONE GAME, is a significant thing to do. In any event, Just take your best shot at it, and we'll see what we can come up with. Should be interesting to see what the responses will be, lots of good information about some very spectacular players, in both the American & National leagues.
Single greatest game by a player?

Reggie Jackson 3 home runs against the Dodgers in the World Series.

Yeah, i’d probably switch to Reggie Jackson 3HR WS game vs. LA Dodgers (Bob Welch) As someone posted above. That was huge in a big moment.

edit: David Freese game 6 vs. Texas saved the WS chance. But he doesn’t get a chance without Berkman & others. IT IS A TEAM SPORT.

does Pujols or 300lb Sandoval Panda 3HR WS games get same mention?

if I had to pick a pitcher (they should be in another catagory) I would pick Bumgartner in 2012 vs. CIN, vs. STL, vs. KC to winit all. He grinded thru game after gane w/o fail.
Lots of good examples are coming forth here, but after 30 posts, I'm still going with the 1956 PERFECT game pitched by Don Larsen in the WORLD SERIES. Can you imagine the pressure in that last inning ? (against tough Dodger hitters)

The 3 HR World Series games get an honorable 2nd place, IMO, especially when you consider, despite playing in numerous World Series, top Yankee power hitters Ruth, Gehrig, Dimaggio, Mantle, and Maris never did that.

Nobody will ever hit three grand slams in an inning to break it

What about this being the best single game ever?

His best game yet? Ohtani turned in what could be considered the best performance by a single player in an MLB game, when he bashed his 27th homer of the season in the first inning en route to a 10-strikeout showing on the mound.

That is the question. It's been a hefty 154 years, since the first professional baseball game was played by the Cincinatti Red Stockings. Thousands of games have been played, all over the US and in Canada.

So to narrow down to ONE PLAYER in just ONE GAME, is a significant thing to do. In any event, Just take your best shot at it, and we'll see what we can come up with. Should be interesting to see what the responses will be, lots of good information about some very spectacular players, in both the American & National leagues.
Rick Wise. Threw a no hitter and hit two home runs driving in 3 in a 4 - 0 victory.

in Game 1 of a doubleheader at Comerica Park. He pitched his first career complete game and shutout, allowing just one hit

now I know it's not the same game but in Game 2, he launched a pair of homers, becoming the second player in AL/NL history, since at least 1900, to throw a one-hitter or no-hitter while homering twice on the same day.

The Phillies' Rick Wise threw a no-hitter and homered twice against the Reds on June 23, 1971.

So the answer could be Rick Wise.

Phil Niekro pitching his last game in Majors ( in his late 40s ) with Indians he did not throw one knuckleball Pitch in the Win )

Forum List

Back