Fernando's #34 Retired Today

okfine

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2019
Gold Coast
1691799331991.jpeg

What a great Dodger pitcher... Fernando Valenzuela's number 34 is retired today.

"Valenzuela is among the Dodgers' all-time franchise leaders in several categories, ranking fourth in complete games (107), fifth in strikeouts (1,759) and sixth in wins (141). He's the only player in major league history to the win Rookie of the Year and Cy Young Award in the same season, doing so in the Dodgers' 1981 World Series campaign"

1691799651645.jpeg

View attachment 813897

What a great Dodger pitcher... Fernando Valenzuela's number 34 is retired today.

"Valenzuela is among the Dodgers' all-time franchise leaders in several categories, ranking fourth in complete games (107), fifth in strikeouts (1,759) and sixth in wins (141). He's the only player in major league history to the win Rookie of the Year and Cy Young Award in the same season, doing so in the Dodgers' 1981 World Series campaign"

View attachment 813900
Yawn. Life goes on and the sun came up this morning. Big deal.

View attachment 813897

View attachment 813900
Oh look everyone, the Catholic haters retired a jersey.

Yay

He had a fairly short career, but I remember that's all they were talking about when I lived in San Diego.
He was 20 years old and had a potgut.....but he could pitch.

I lived in Ventura County at the time, drove out to the ravine a couple of times and saw him pitch. He was good. And I'm not even that much of a baseball fan...

I lived in Ventura County at the time, drove out to the ravine a couple of times and saw him pitch. He was good. And I'm not even that much of a baseball fan...
I never saw him pitch in person. Only on TV.
I was in San Diego in the 70s and 80s.
Best player we had was Tony Gwynn.
Steve Garvey also played 1st for us for a couple of years.

View attachment 813897

View attachment 813900
For a while there he was untouchable. I remember (I think it was Lasorda) said that the real value was not what he did on the mound but what he signified to the team if they lost 2 in a row or got swept... "Fernando is taking the hill on Tuesday; we're gonna be okay."

He had a fairly short career, but I remember that's all they were talking about when I lived in San Diego.
He was 20 years old and had a potgut.....but he could pitch.
There were rumors he was actually a lot older than advertised. He had some good years and good for the sport.

View attachment 813897

View attachment 813900
Well deserved. Definitely one of the greatest Dodger pitchers in history.

Forum List

Back