What Is the Best MLB Single Game Individual Performance, Ever ?

protectionist

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2013
That is the question. It's been a hefty 154 years, since the first professional baseball game was played by the Cincinatti Red Stockings. Thousands of games have been played, all over the US and in Canada.

So to narrow down to ONE PLAYER in just ONE GAME, is a significant thing to do. In any event, Just take your best shot at it, and we'll see what we can come up with. Should be interesting to see what the responses will be, lots of good information about some very spectacular players, in both the American & National leagues.

That is the question. It's been a hefty 154 years, since the first professional baseball game was played by the Cincinatti Red Stockings. Thousands of games have been played, all over the US and in Canada.

So to narrow down to ONE PLAYER in just ONE GAME, is a significant thing to do. In any event, Just take your best shot at it, and we'll see what we can come up with. Should be interesting to see what the responses will be, lots of good information about some very spectacular players, in both the American & National leagues.
1 at bat.

kirk gibson in dodger blue vs oakland's eckersly (the dominant, by far, closer that year) . whenever i wake up, old and sore (like this morning), i can take a minute to slow down and remember that it might be less painful to trot around the bases.

here is the clip. sorry, i still need to figure out the embedding on this site.

i'm a fan of the braves, chipper jones had several great days when i was at the park. maddox (one of 4 hall of fame pitchers in that bull pen) pitched a 2 hitter and went 2/4 with a home run in 1 game.

and, of course, pete rose .........

Last edited:
All of you are wrong. There is only ONE correct answer to the OP's question. No feat in sports history can compare to Jim Abbots no hitter.

Fernando Tatis of the Cardinals hit two Grand Slams in ONE INNING…..a record that will never be broken

On August 12, 1966

Reds and Pirates at Crosley.

Art Shamsky comes in as a PH in the 8th inning and proceeds to hit 3 HR, all of them either tying the game or putting the Reds in the lead.

Others had bigger numbers but no one has been more clutch in a single game.
I was a big fan of Shamsky when he was on the Mets

The greatest game ever by a single player is a ninth inning pinch runner…

Dave Roberts of the Boston Red Sox, October 17, 2004.

Roberts steal of second base, after pinch running for Kevin Millar in the ninth inning changed not just that game, but the series, the season, a franchise, and an entire region of the country.,

Thomas Edgar Cheney (October 14, 1934 – November 1, 2001) was a Major League Baseball player. Cheney, a right-handed pitcher from Morgan, Georgia, played for the St. Louis Cardinals, Pittsburgh Pirates and Washington Senators in a span of eight seasons from 1957 to 1966.

Cheney is most notable for striking out the highest number of batters in a Major League Baseball game. He did so on September 12, 1962, when as a Senator, struck out 21 Baltimore Orioles in 16 innings en route to a 2–1 victory.

When I was growing up
Mark Witten hit 4hrs.. If memory serves me correct another player hit 4 hrs. a few years ago.

Mike Schmidt ( The Cubs Killer ):

Or

Rick Monday saving the American Flag:

Or

Jim Rice saves child:

Some moments in Baseball go beyond the game and the heroics of one player saving a child's life is more than all the perfect games, home runs and so on, so Jim Rice for me and I am a Cubs fan.

My vote goes to what has only been done ONCE in 154 years of professional baseball. And may never be done again.

That is the PERFECT GAME pitched by Don Larsen of the 1956 New York Yankees, in the World Series, against the National League champ Brooklyn Dodgers. Not only did Larsen not allow a single one of 27 Dodger at bats to reach first base, but he did it against the defending world champions (who won the world series the year before, and had a really tough hitting lineup including :
Duke Snider (hit 40+ HRs in 5 consecutive seasons)
Jackie Robinson (.313 career batting avg)
Carl Furillo (.299 career batting avg)
Gil Hodges (hit 4 HRs in one game)
Roy Campanella (3 MVP awards ; 8 all star games)

Can't imagine the nerves of steel Larsen must have had to mow down 27 consecutive batters. At the end of the game, catcher Yogi Berra jumped up on to Larsen's 6'4" sturdy frame and hugged him. Ever since, this has become a routine for catchers to congratulate their pitcher, after a super performance, although none as big as this one.

Forum List

Back