What is Southern Heritage?

Southern fried chicken, jalapeno corn bread, and cat fish dinners.

Yankee pukes have no idea how good we have it in the South!!! :cool:

Shit... you haven't had GOOD Cat Fish until you've caught and ate one up here in the northern parts of the mighty Mississip, before the water gets all dirty and polluted down south.

Shit... you haven't had GOOD Cat Fish until you've caught and ate one up here in the northern parts of the mighty Mississip, before the water gets all dirty and polluted down south.

I went up north once. WAY up north! Somewhere around Shreveport.

Now that comment right there is full of what I'd call "southern heritage."

I lived in Tampa for four years, and it's what I heard called "the deep south." From what I get, "southern heritage" is based partly in the belief among southerns that "the south will rise again."

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeZFPcoQr0k[/ame]

Last edited:
perhaps its cause we take a bit of pride in knowing who our daddys are...we dont have to go on maury to get that info...perhaps we are racist in the belief that we should stick to our own....i was raised with a clear understanding of how i was suppose to marry....as for the religion thing....its touchie issue...my friends remind me daily that i am going to hell for not being of their beliefs...they are just looking after me...

it is the profound knowing that i will never change a tire in my lifetime...no matter how feminist i am...
it is the knowing that when we come on a funeral procession....we pull over and show respect and no one is blowing that damned horn....

of course that could be knowing that southerners are violent...and normally armed...i was watching a dr phil on a woman who's hubby took out her eye and was still trying to kill her with threats from jail...
she had moved 17 times etc....i knew that if i found myself faced with that....i would put in a trail cam...a adt system....have a large dog...and kill the bastard the first time he set foot near me....in the south we know this....some men/women deserve to die...

we have been battered and made fun of ....for what 2 centuries...as a cross between mayberry and the beverely hillbillies....

here is the difference in a damned yankee and a fucking yankee....

a yankee who comes to visit and goes home is a damned yankee...a yankee who stays is a fucking yankee..

my husband broke the marriage rule...his first marriage...married a fucking yankee....he learned fast

remember it was a yankee woman that forced her man to cut his arm off after how many days...she didnt look for him or nothing...trifling bitch...and his dumbass still married her....you show me where a southern man has cut his arm off....we look after our men...

and we are polite...we will ask after a man's mother before we kill him...and we do like to use posion...leaves a nice corpse for his mamma to bury

The Mason-Dixon line runs along I-20
BevHill2.jpg

perhaps its cause we take a bit of pride in knowing who our daddys are...we dont have to go on maury to get that info...perhaps we are racist in the belief that we should stick to our own....i was raised with a clear understanding of how i was suppose to marry....as for the religion thing....its touchie issue...my friends remind me daily that i am going to hell for not being of their beliefs...they are just looking after me...

it is the profound knowing that i will never change a tire in my lifetime...no matter how feminist i am...
it is the knowing that when we come on a funeral procession....we pull over and show respect and no one is blowing that damned horn....

of course that could be knowing that southerners are violent...and normally armed...i was watching a dr phil on a woman who's hubby took out her eye and was still trying to kill her with threats from jail...
she had moved 17 times etc....i knew that if i found myself faced with that....i would put in a trail cam...a adt system....have a large dog...and kill the bastard the first time he set foot near me....in the south we know this....some men/women deserve to die...

we have been battered and made fun of ....for what 2 centuries...as a cross between mayberry and the beverely hillbillies....

here is the difference in a damned yankee and a fucking yankee....

a yankee who comes to visit and goes home is a damned yankee...a yankee who stays is a fucking yankee..

my husband broke the marriage rule...his first marriage...married a fucking yankee....he learned fast
Clapping.gif

I lived in Tampa for four years, and it's what I heard called "the deep south." From what I get, "southern heritage" is based partly in the belief among southerns that "the south will rise again."

Umm anything Tampa and below is not south.
It is a mix of mostly hispanics and such. Not like the rest of the south at all.

Umm anything Tampa and below is not south.
It is a mix of mostly hispanics and such. Not like the rest of the south at all.
Parts of Orlando are definitely "the south", it is more of an attitude than anything else.

If there is a church every ten feet in a town or city, you know you are in the South.

I confess when people start talking about defending the values of their Southern Heritage I am mystified as to what they are talking about.

Can somebody explain this to me, please?

No other region in this nation thinks it has such a thing.

And yes, of course some people think the regions they live in are pretty special, but they don't refer to that specialness of place as a heritage unique to that place.

So What the heck is this Southern Heritage all about, anyway?

Can any of you Sons or Daughters of the South define what Southern Heritage means to you?

%5Cuploadimages%5Cproducts%5C1469865%5Cpics%5Cits-a-southern-thing-back.jpg

Its kinda like the prices at Neiman-Marcus, if you gotta ask, you aint got what it takes.

I've lived in the South before. My impression of it is that the South has its own culture. It has distinctive food. The dialect is unique. People say sir and ma'am. People invite you to their church, even the clerk at the store will. Church going is a part of life, particularly certain Protestant denominations such as Baptist, Methodist, and all the holy roller types.

Southern Heritage is having your own regional foods, and dialects, and people who are religious?

And do not other regions also have their own regional foods, dialects and plenty of people with religious convictions?

yeah, but they're not in the south.

duh

That's actually a reasonable response except for the fact that no other region identifies their unique dialects or food as their heritage.

Here's a list of definitions for the word.

heritage [ˈhɛrɪtɪdʒ]
n 1. something inherited at birth, such as personal characteristics, status, and possessions

2. anything that has been transmitted from the past or handed down by tradition

3. (Life Sciences & Allied Applications / Environmental Science)
a. the evidence of the past, such as historical sites, buildings, and the unspoilt natural environment, considered collectively as the inheritance of present-day society
b. (as modifier; cap. as part of name) Bannockburn Heritage Centre

4. something that is reserved for a particular person or group or the outcome of an action, way of life, etc. the sea was their heritage the heritage of violence

5. (Law) Law any property, esp land, that by law has descended or may descend to an heir

6. (Non-Christian Religions / Judaism) Bible
a. the Israelites regarded as belonging inalienably to God
b. the land of Canaan regarded as God's gift to the Israelites

Based on the above, I'd say that the only uniquely Southern Heritage that most of ya'll are talking about is that SHARED HISTORY that ONLY the Southern States share, thanks to their brief hiatus from the UNION while they were calling themselves the CSA.

Okay, I can understand that.

Shared unique history is a part of heritage, certainly.

Anybody have any other example of something uniquely Southern that they think belongs in that thing we are calling " Southern heritage" ?

Now we citizens of the USA also share a unique history, too.

So which heritage do you people think really is more meaningful to your lives?

Your shared Southern heritage or your shared American heritage?

Last edited:
I confess when people start talking about defending the values of their Southern Heritage I am mystified as to what they are talking about.

Can somebody explain this to me, please?

No other region in this nation thinks it has such a thing.

And yes, of course some people think the regions they live in are pretty special, but they don't refer to that specialness of place as a heritage unique to that place.

So What the heck is this Southern Heritage all about, anyway?

Can any of you Sons or Daughters of the South define what Southern Heritage means to you?

I've asked Mrs. Swagger, and she isn't entirely sure. But I'm realiably informed that watching NASCAR, crushing empty beer cans on your forehead and chewing tobacco are all a pre-requisite.

Marrying your brother or sister is optional.

Forum List

Back