What is Southern Heritage?

editec

Mr. Forgot-it-All
Jun 5, 2008
Maine
I confess when people start talking about defending the values of their Southern Heritage I am mystified as to what they are talking about.

Can somebody explain this to me, please?

No other region in this nation thinks it has such a thing.

And yes, of course some people think the regions they live in are pretty special, but they don't refer to that specialness of place as a heritage unique to that place.

So What the heck is this Southern Heritage all about, anyway?

Can any of you Sons or Daughters of the South define what Southern Heritage means to you?

more than protecting symbols, protecting a set of moral convictions or basic, fundamental values the family one man married to one woman teaching their children importance of obedience to their parents and learn to respect their elders if your going to have children be responsible enough to them to be responsible adults in a community where you at least know your neighbors name

more than protecting symbols, protecting a set of moral convictions or basic, fundamental values the family one man married to one woman teaching their children importance of obedience to their parents and learn to respect their elders if your going to have children be responsible enough to them to be responsible adults in a community where you at least know your neighbors name

That's what it is?

I guess Southern Heritage isn't anything different than any other heritage.

I lived in Arkansas for 8 years and even though like the prick I can be I made fun of the place left right and asshole the entire time I lived there, for me the values that stay with me from my time there was honest and open friendship that did not want anything but that, a helping hand and a belief that life was supposed to be good and had meaning.

Those Southern values have never left me.

There are other values too, like when I dated Debra Amie, and African American women so beautiful I could believe she risked it with me, in 81 and we could not get a table at the restaurant I had had many dates before, with a reservation.

But I think that South is gone.

I hope at least.

Southern Heritage just another phrase describing family values?

And family values are uniquely Southern how, exactly?

I've lived in the South before. My impression of it is that the South has its own culture. It has distinctive food. The dialect is unique. People say sir and ma'am. People invite you to their church, even the clerk at the store will. Church going is a part of life, particularly certain Protestant denominations such as Baptist, Methodist, and all the holy roller types.

That's what it is?

I guess Southern Heritage isn't anything different than any other heritage.

It comes with cornbread tho.

I lived in Arkansas for 8 years and even though like the prick I can be I made fun of the place left right and asshole the entire time I lived there, for me the values that stay with me from my time there was honest and open friendship that did not want anything but that, a helping hand and a belief that life was supposed to be good and had meaning.

There are other values too, like when I dated Debra Amie, and African American women so beautiful I could believe she risked it with me, in 81 and we could not get a table at the restaurant I had had many dates before, with a reservation.

I hope at least.

Soutern Heritage is having good friends that aren't parsites?

And that is uniquely Southern how, exactly?

I've lived in the South before. My impression of it is that the South has its own culture. It has distinctive food. The dialect is unique. People say sir and ma'am. People invite you to their church, even the clerk at the store will. Church going is a part of life, particularly certain Protestant denominations such as Baptist, Methodist, and all the holy roller types.

Southern Heritage is having your own regional foods, and dialects, and people who are religious?

And do not other regions also have their own regional foods, dialects and plenty of people with religious convictions?

I confess when people start talking about defending the values of their Southern Heritage I am mystified as to what they are talking about.

And yes, of course some people think the regions they live in are pretty special, but they don't refer to that specialness of place as a heritage unique to that place.

Can any of you Sons or Daughters of the South define what Southern Heritage means to you?

That's because no other region fought a war to prove they were better than the people they enlsaved and lost.

I hope at least.

You can get a table now, but "that" south is not gone, just a bit more behind the scenes.

Southern heritage is in large part being racist.

don't believe it? Just dirve around alabama a while with an Obama sticker on you car.

Last edited:

True southern heritage is knowing yankees really aren't that bad, as long as they go home after their visit............ Or strive to become "southern by the grace of God" if they stay........ :eusa_whistle:

Yeah, why I do not let anyone know I am an atheist.

Southern Heritage is having your own regional foods, and dialects, and people who are religious?

And do not other regions also have their own regional foods, dialects and plenty of people with religious convictions?

yeah, but they're not in the south.

duh

Forum List

Back