What is more important for the 2012 GOP...

What is more important to you?

• Staying true to your convictions.

Votes: 13 76.5%
  • Backing the candidate with the best chance of winning.

Votes: 5 29.4%

• Total voters

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
...primary?

Staying true to your convictions?

Or backing the candidate with the best chance of winning?

This is where the Republican Party gets messed up on.

Who is to say who has the "best chance of winning?" Is it determined by manipulative polling, where the candidate with the better name recognition tends to have the earlier advantage? Is it determined by being more "moderate" to attract the so-called independents?

If it's the latter, then we never should have nominated Reagan in 1980, and we should have won with McCain in 2008. Or when a moderate does win, where does that get the Republican Party (think Nixon/Ford/Bush1/Bush2). What did bodybulder/action hero Arnold Schwarzenegger do for the California Republican Party except to feed his own ego? Short-term gains (wins) can often lead to long-term disasters.

Now of course the art of elective politics is more complicated than whether we go with who fits where on the linear (and often misleading) political scale, who has the most executive experience, who can raise the most money, who has the best looks (yes, some people will vote on that basis), who has the best debating skills, who is the flavor of the week in polling, etc.

When it comes to trusting polling, often we'll get manipulated out of supporting the better candidate to represent us and upholding our Constitution rights and liberties, to supporting a less-than-ideal candidate, then gripe when we get what we vote for.

I'd therefore say, stay true to your convictions. If you have none, well, then I guess you're up for grabs. And that's the problem with politics.

I voted based on it being the general election. In the primary I will vote my gut but in the general ABO

*Yep*

icon14.gif

It depends.
I don't expect politicians to have chiseled in stone positions on every issue. And just because they switched sides on something doesn't mean much. People change, after all.
I do expect them to present some kind of coherent philosophy on governing that I can predict, with some confidence, how they will feel on any issue that comes along.

I will say that GOP candidates who appeal to Democrats are doomed, as Democrats do a much better job of being Democrats than Republicans do.

It depends.
I don't expect politicians to have chiseled in stone positions on every issue. And just because they switched sides on something doesn't mean much. People change, after all.
I do expect them to present some kind of coherent philosophy on governing that I can predict, with some confidence, how they will feel on any issue that comes along.

I will say that GOP candidates who appeal to Democrats are doomed, as Democrats do a much better job of being Democrats than Republicans do.

Then Republicans should stop acting like Democrats.

...primary?

Gee, look how things change. I guess when you're morally bankrupt your principles are up for grabs.

Well, you and Hillary are the epitome of moral bankruptcy and compromised principals, hard for me to argue with someone with your impeccable first hand knowledge on the subject. :lol:

Poor Candycorn...still butthurt that I have you peg and expose your interminable bullshit for everyone to see. :(

It will be okay...just put some of this on and that burn will ease.

Anti monkey butt.png

Better get a three pack. :thup:

Amazon.com: Anti-Monkey Butt Powder Anti-Friction Plus Sweat Absorber (3 pack): Health & Personal Care

...primary?

Gee, look how things change. I guess when you're morally bankrupt your principles are up for grabs.

Well, you and Hillary are the epitome of moral bankruptcy and compromised principals, hard for me to argue with someone with your impeccable first hand knowledge on the subject. :lol:

Poor Candycorn...still butthurt that I have you peg and expose your interminable bullshit for everyone to see. :(

It will be okay...just put some of this on and that burn will ease.

View attachment 62132

Better get a three pack. :thup:

Amazon.com: Anti-Monkey Butt Powder Anti-Friction Plus Sweat Absorber (3 pack): Health & Personal Care

Wow, can't even come up with your own insults.

What happened; you were polishing Trump's knob 48 hours ago.....

...primary?

Well if you're going to stay "true" to your convictions, and NOT nominate the Republican that can win, then I don't want to hear a single WORD of complaint out of you when Hillary Clinton is sitting in the Oval Office. I don't want to hear another word about the deficit, I don't want to hear another word about Obamacare, I don't want to hear another word about ISIL, I don't want to hear another word about anything.

Because you just lost your right to complain.

139067_600.jpg

Forum List

Back