What is it like to be Schizophrenic?

Meds can be difficult to comply with because many have some pretty big side effects. Bipolar is particularly hard because the manic phase feels so good even though it's ultimately destructive :(

Biggest misconception is mania feels good. Mania can make you jittery and irritable and can actually hurt.

Yes, my friend seemed happy, but you had to be around them all the time to see she wasn't.

Meds can be difficult to comply with because many have some pretty big side effects. Bipolar is particularly hard because the manic phase feels so good even though it's ultimately destructive :(

Just about every psychiatric med suppresses the libido. Always struck me as odd a medicine designed to alleviate symptoms of say depression would take people's one great joy. :)

Just about every psychiatric med suppresses the libido. Always struck me as odd a medicine designed to alleviate symptoms of say depression would take people's one great joy. :)

Agree completely. That's why i don't taken them and I fuck like crazy.

there was times my friend was so drugged out. I came for a visit one time and demanded she go she the Psychiatrist that was prescribing all of different drugs he had prescribed her.

of course she abused them along with booze. it's a catch 22 with them

Because it's one of the most frequently misunderstood illness', it is devasting to the victims and families, it's not curable and carries a big stigma. And also because I have a family member with it.

I see, Sir...sorry to hear about your relative and family suffering.

May I ask one more question before commenting on your original post? (So-called) schizophrenia is misunderstood by who and how do you know that? I am asking to try to better understand the original post:); I hope that you are not offended...

Peace and may God Bless you.
Anonymous1977

Misunderstood in the way it is portrayed in the public. For example - people assume it means multiple personalities, or that they are all violent. Another assumption is that it's just hearing voices, hallucinations and paranoia but those are the aspects that are easiest to help with medication. There are also other aspects of the disease that affects the person's ability to organize his thoughts, follow through on complex sequences of actions, self-motivate, and a flattening emotional effect. Those typically aren't helped by medication but can make it very difficult to live independently.

Many people and many families have to deal with mental illness. I think schizophrenia is one of the most misunderstood because we're only aware of it when sensational crimes are committed (like mass shootings), or we see the dirty, shambling guy on the street talking to himself, or it's a family member. A lot of times, incidents of excessive police force end up being in encounters with mentally ill people - police aren't trained to handle it in ways that reduce escalation. Some police forces are adding a specially trained people to help in those situations and prevent them from becoming violent confrontations.

I came across some interesting videos, experiments where people volunteered to try to see - hear - exist in the world as it is for a person suffering from schizophrenia.

http://www.refinery29.com/2014/06/69318/schizophrenia-simulator-video

For most of us, mental illnesses are concepts we can comprehend in the abstract — but actually empathizing with someone who suffers from one on a daily basis is another story entirely. There are often no physical symptoms for conditions like bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, and depression. And, because there's still a stigma in this country that prevents us from talking openly about these disorders (and few accurate representations of them in the media), it's difficult to understand how they work in reality.

With that in mind, Anderson Cooper took part in an experiment designed to replicate the experience of someone suffering with schizophrenia. Cooper spent a day with a simulation of typical schizophrenia symptoms (i.e. voices) playing constantly in his ear; he was asked to perform simple tasks and go about his day. As you'll see in the video above, what begins as an annoying distraction devolves into something a bit more distressing as the voices start yelling — and the normally cool, calm, and collected Cooper fights the urge to yell back.

http://www.cnn.com/video/api/embed.html#

These videos show a simulation of both the visual and auditory effects a person with schizophrenia might encounter attempting to do an ordinary activity such as a trip to the pharmacy.

This one is a link about a virtual reality program used for training police and other professionals who may have to encounter a person with unmedicated schizophrenia. Virtual Schizophrenia

Anderson Cooper comes from a long line of mentally ill people.

If you want to know what schizophrenia is like, ask nutz or luds.

Biggest misconception is mania feels good. Mania can make you jittery and irritable and can actually hurt.

I've suffered from depression much of my life that was cyclic. At one point, years ago, I was on a medication called Nardil that worked fantastically, too much so. It made me manic. The early manic phase was great, I accomplished a great deal,, but then it wasn't so great and got a bit crazy - for example, I spent a bunch of money buying plants and planters and spent like 24 hours straight, potting and planting and gardening - and never once thought this was a bit nuts. I wasn't sleeping, and things just got pretty weird and I was jittery and irritable too, I don't remember a lot of it. At any rate, I was taken off it and although I've always had ups and downs - I've never again had anything like that. But I still remember how good it felt and how much I missed it. For a short time I was on lithium and everything went from technicolor to grey. I never want that again either. So I can understand why people don't want to take medication or stay on medication. It's like riding a wild horse - the speed and the thrill is excilerating but eventually it will destroy you and everything you love.

there was times my friend was so drugged out. I came for a visit one time and demanded she go she the Psychiatrist that was prescribing all of different drugs he had prescribed her.

of course she abused them along with booze. it's a catch 22 with them

A lot of people will self-medicate too. My brother did with street drugs, and still does marijuana occassionally. There are some studies that show that marijuana can exacerbate schizophrenia or bring it out in a susceptable person.

It's a wicked trade off - in fact, one of the things my brother complained about.

Many people and many families have to deal with mental illness. I think schizophrenia is one of the most misunderstood because we're only aware of it when sensational crimes are committed (like mass shootings), or we see the dirty, shambling guy on the street talking to himself, or it's a family member. A lot of times, incidents of excessive police force end up being in encounters with mentally ill people - police aren't trained to handle it in ways that reduce escalation. Some police forces are adding a specially trained people to help in those situations and prevent them from becoming violent confrontations.

I came across some interesting videos, experiments where people volunteered to try to see - hear - exist in the world as it is for a person suffering from schizophrenia.

http://www.refinery29.com/2014/06/69318/schizophrenia-simulator-video

For most of us, mental illnesses are concepts we can comprehend in the abstract — but actually empathizing with someone who suffers from one on a daily basis is another story entirely. There are often no physical symptoms for conditions like bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, and depression. And, because there's still a stigma in this country that prevents us from talking openly about these disorders (and few accurate representations of them in the media), it's difficult to understand how they work in reality.

With that in mind, Anderson Cooper took part in an experiment designed to replicate the experience of someone suffering with schizophrenia. Cooper spent a day with a simulation of typical schizophrenia symptoms (i.e. voices) playing constantly in his ear; he was asked to perform simple tasks and go about his day. As you'll see in the video above, what begins as an annoying distraction devolves into something a bit more distressing as the voices start yelling — and the normally cool, calm, and collected Cooper fights the urge to yell back.

http://www.cnn.com/video/api/embed.html#

These videos show a simulation of both the visual and auditory effects a person with schizophrenia might encounter attempting to do an ordinary activity such as a trip to the pharmacy.

This one is a link about a virtual reality program used for training police and other professionals who may have to encounter a person with unmedicated schizophrenia. Virtual Schizophrenia

I was in a program to try and help people with problems interact with others. The local police came for a visit and we talked about paranoia and why paranoid people might not see the cops as helping and possible ways to diffuse the situation.

It's a wicked trade off - in fact, one of the things my brother complained about.

Other than in life or death type situations, we should refrain from accepting recommendations by conflict-of-interest doctors to take psychiatric meds. While I'm no Scientologist, it's irrefutable that there's a huge conflict-of-interest in the psychiatric profession proscribing drugs without an empirical way of determining what's wrong with the patient. Without the drug Rx's a psychiatrist wont make any money. Would just end up being a psychologist (who can't proscribe meds unless also certified to do so.) But in a lot of the cases people just need counselling, not mind-altering medication.

Whole prescription methodology is based on whatever the patient tells the psychiatrist. But if the patient doesn't have the terminology to accurately relate their thoughts and feelings the psychaitrist can get an inaccurate picture of what's going on. Then they proscribe whatever the drug reps are pushing off on them int he hopes that a desireable result takes hold. But because they don't know for sure what the patient's problem is, they often proscribe the wrong drug, in the wrong dosage and the patient not noticing improvement stops taking them, stops going to the psychiatrist, or their actual problem gets worse.

The US is the most over-proscribed nation in the developed world. Don't see anything close in Europe countries where psychiatry is handled very differently. And when it seems just about every mass shooter "has mental problems" I think it's about time we face facts and quit defaulting to trusting US psychiatrists.

I've suffered from depression much of my life that was cyclic. At one point, years ago, I was on a medication called Nardil that worked fantastically, too much so. It made me manic. The early manic phase was great, I accomplished a great deal,, but then it wasn't so great and got a bit crazy - for example, I spent a bunch of money buying plants and planters and spent like 24 hours straight, potting and planting and gardening - and never once thought this was a bit nuts. I wasn't sleeping, and things just got pretty weird and I was jittery and irritable too, I don't remember a lot of it. At any rate, I was taken off it and although I've always had ups and downs - I've never again had anything like that. But I still remember how good it felt and how much I missed it. For a short time I was on lithium and everything went from technicolor to grey. I never want that again either. So I can understand why people don't want to take medication or stay on medication. It's like riding a wild horse - the speed and the thrill is excilerating but eventually it will destroy you and everything you love.
The newer meds don't have a lot of those side effects. But most people do not like taking meds. For depression alone the meds do not have severe side effects any more.

The newer meds don't have a lot of those side effects. But most people do not like taking meds. For depression alone the meds do not have severe side effects any more.

No, the don't - the side effects of a lot of anti-depressants now are pretty minimal.

Other than in life or death type situations, we should refrain from accepting recommendations by conflict-of-interest doctors to take psychiatric meds. While I'm no Scientologist, it's irrefutable that there's a huge conflict-of-interest in the psychiatric profession proscribing drugs without an empirical way of determining what's wrong with the patient. Without the drug Rx's a psychiatrist wont make any money. Would just end up being a psychologist (who can't proscribe meds unless also certified to do so.) But in a lot of the cases people just need counselling, not mind-altering medication.

Whole prescription methodology is based on whatever the patient tells the psychiatrist. But if the patient doesn't have the terminology to accurately relate their thoughts and feelings the psychaitrist can get an inaccurate picture of what's going on. Then they proscribe whatever the drug reps are pushing off on them int he hopes that a desireable result takes hold. But because they don't know for sure what the patient's problem is, they often proscribe the wrong drug, in the wrong dosage and the patient not noticing improvement stops taking them, stops going to the psychiatrist, or their actual problem gets worse.

The US is the most over-proscribed nation in the developed world. Don't see anything close in Europe countries where psychiatry is handled very differently. And when it seems just about every mass shooter "has mental problems" I think it's about time we face facts and quit defaulting to trusting US psychiatrists.
Ya great advice, lets ignore the doctors cause we are paranoid.

Sounds like you are bipolar. There's 3 levels of it and you have the lesser of the 3 evils. I know all about it. I have been misdiagnosed since age 18 and have been on all the medications out there even the ones out now. I can tell you the ones that are very good that have zero sideeffects. The newer medications are much improve over the older ones. PM me and we'll talk. I believe I can help you quite a bit. I'm willing.

No, the don't - the side effects of a lot of anti-depressants now are pretty minimal.

Actually my mother psychiatrist who's an MD said there's a new study out that says that antidepressents do more harm in most cases than good. He doesn't even prescribe them.

Ya great advice, lets ignore the doctors cause we are paranoid.

US psychiatrists, not doctors in general. European psychiatry doesn't push meds as its' default solution.

I do agree with that, and that the pharma industry is really powerful in this country. But, there are some diseases, and schizophrenia is one, where it is fairly easy to diagnose and medications do have a beneficial effect. It's also an illness that really isn't amenable to other kinds of therapy- at least not without medication to take care of the symptoms.

One of the things that caused my brother to spiral down hill was changing the medications. He had a crap doctor (but it's very to find doctors willing to treat schizophrenia) and for some reason, they wanted to try some of the newer drugs on him. He had been on small dose of stelazine, and a few others for many years and his symptoms were well controlled with few side effects, but they just wanted to use the new stuff. It was not as effective, and in the process of switching and experimenting his symptoms were not well controlled, his paranoia went out the window, he stopped taking everything, he was constantly psychotic and his life crashed in a really bad way. He is now back on the older meds but unfortunately he now needs a higher dose and he is not as well as he was before all this.

Forum List

Back