What is it like to be Schizophrenic?

Coyote

Varmint
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Apr 17, 2009
Canis Latrans
Many people and many families have to deal with mental illness. I think schizophrenia is one of the most misunderstood because we're only aware of it when sensational crimes are committed (like mass shootings), or we see the dirty, shambling guy on the street talking to himself, or it's a family member. A lot of times, incidents of excessive police force end up being in encounters with mentally ill people - police aren't trained to handle it in ways that reduce escalation. Some police forces are adding a specially trained people to help in those situations and prevent them from becoming violent confrontations.

I came across some interesting videos, experiments where people volunteered to try to see - hear - exist in the world as it is for a person suffering from schizophrenia.

http://www.refinery29.com/2014/06/69318/schizophrenia-simulator-video

For most of us, mental illnesses are concepts we can comprehend in the abstract — but actually empathizing with someone who suffers from one on a daily basis is another story entirely. There are often no physical symptoms for conditions like bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, and depression. And, because there's still a stigma in this country that prevents us from talking openly about these disorders (and few accurate representations of them in the media), it's difficult to understand how they work in reality.

With that in mind, Anderson Cooper took part in an experiment designed to replicate the experience of someone suffering with schizophrenia. Cooper spent a day with a simulation of typical schizophrenia symptoms (i.e. voices) playing constantly in his ear; he was asked to perform simple tasks and go about his day. As you'll see in the video above, what begins as an annoying distraction devolves into something a bit more distressing as the voices start yelling — and the normally cool, calm, and collected Cooper fights the urge to yell back.

http://www.cnn.com/video/api/embed.html#

These videos show a simulation of both the visual and auditory effects a person with schizophrenia might encounter attempting to do an ordinary activity such as a trip to the pharmacy.

This one is a link about a virtual reality program used for training police and other professionals who may have to encounter a person with unmedicated schizophrenia. Virtual Schizophrenia

If you want to read some really interesting stuff regarding Schizophrenia look up Brian Iwata and his studies on the illness.

I promise you'll find it fascinating.

Thanks - I shall. My brother suffers from it - he was diagnosed in the 70's. We've come a long ways since then.

I'm a bit leery of those "video simulations".
If you want to read some really interesting stuff regarding Schizophrenia look up Brian Iwata and his studies on the illness.

Thanks - I shall. My brother suffers from it - he was diagnosed in the 70's. We've come a long ways since then.
Same here with my younger brother. Along with a Bipolar disorder. Damn the things we've seen and heard and the shit he and our whole family endured over decades. But you can't stop loving your family, and you can't give up.

Many people and many families have to deal with mental illness. I think schizophrenia is one of the most misunderstood because we're only aware of it when sensational crimes are committed (like mass shootings), or we see the dirty, shambling guy on the street talking to himself, or it's a family member. A lot of times, incidents of excessive police force end up being in encounters with mentally ill people - police aren't trained to handle it in ways that reduce escalation. Some police forces are adding a specially trained people to help in those situations and prevent them from becoming violent confrontations.

I came across some interesting videos, experiments where people volunteered to try to see - hear - exist in the world as it is for a person suffering from schizophrenia.

For most of us, mental illnesses are concepts we can comprehend in the abstract — but actually empathizing with someone who suffers from one on a daily basis is another story entirely. There are often no physical symptoms for conditions like bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, and depression. And, because there's still a stigma in this country that prevents us from talking openly about these disorders (and few accurate representations of them in the media), it's difficult to understand how they work in reality.

With that in mind, Anderson Cooper took part in an experiment designed to replicate the experience of someone suffering with schizophrenia. Cooper spent a day with a simulation of typical schizophrenia symptoms (i.e. voices) playing constantly in his ear; he was asked to perform simple tasks and go about his day. As you'll see in the video above, what begins as an annoying distraction devolves into something a bit more distressing as the voices start yelling — and the normally cool, calm, and collected Cooper fights the urge to yell back.

These videos show a simulation of both the visual and auditory effects a person with schizophrenia might encounter attempting to do an ordinary activity such as a trip to the pharmacy.

This one is a link about a virtual reality program used for training police and other professionals who may have to encounter a person with unmedicated schizophrenia. Virtual Schizophrenia

I'll ask one of my other personalities when they show up again.

My uncle is diagnosed with it and was even committed to the state hospital by the courts for being a threat to society. They put him on clozopine and he's doing fantastic. He has social security and is independent. Took us 4 years of hard work and prayer to have him committed.

Some say LSD mimicks being schitzophrenic. Have done lots of acid myself but dunno if I'd agree (though of course I've never been schitzophrenic so have nothing to compare it to.) LSD is more akin to removing a floodgate of your perceptions. Get it all at once unfiltered, become very attentive to details (have spent time counting the individual flakes of salt on a cheeze-it cracker for instance.) :) Would say being on acid is more like being a Buddhist in that you live in the moment noticing a world of reality in the smallest of details.

Lol I'd like to comment but can I first ask you, why is so-called Schizophrenia being singled out by you, among all the various "mental illnesses," for citation...?

Peace and may God Bless you.
Anonymous1977

Lol I'd like to comment but can I first ask you, why is so-called Schizophrenia being singled out by you, among all the various "mental illnesses," for citation...?

Anonymous1977

Because it's one of the most frequently misunderstood illness', it is devasting to the victims and families, it's not curable and carries a big stigma. And also because I have a family member with it.

My uncle is diagnosed with it and was even committed to the state hospital by the courts for being a threat to society. They put him on clozopine and he's doing fantastic. He has social security and is independent. Took us 4 years of hard work and prayer to have him committed.

My brother is on ss also, and was able to be independent for a while in his own home that my parents had purchased. But several years ago he went hugely downhill, stopped taking his medications, was very very paranoid. It was a very difficult time for everyone because it is so hard to hospitalize someone against their will, even when they are clearly spiraling out of control. We were finally able to get him committed long enough to get him back on medication, sold the house, and he is now in a group home where he is doing much better and is not so isolated and meds are monitored.

Some say LSD mimicks being schitzophrenic. Have done lots of acid myself but dunno if I'd agree (though of course I've never been schitzophrenic so have nothing to compare it to.) LSD is more akin to removing a floodgate of your perceptions. Get it all at once unfiltered, become very attentive to details (have spent time counting the individual flakes of salt on a cheeze-it cracker for instance.) :) Would say being on acid is more like being a Buddhist in that you live in the moment noticing a world of reality in the smallest of details.

I've never done acid....so...I wouldn't know :lol:

I've never done acid....so...I wouldn't know :lol:

Was hesitant at the time, "Why is it called acid?" Didn't think I wanted to put anything in my mouth called acid. :) But it was a life-changing experience. That said, I actually think keeping it illegal is better than making it legal like I do for cannabis.

LSD is a worthwhile experience to undertake with a few conditions. Like being completely level-headed to begin with. No history of mental illness in your family. Safe and secure setting with somoene staying sober acting as babysitter so you don't try to fly and whatnot hehe.

thankfully I'm not one. but it's sounds horrible and for some a miserable life. they have to take life long medications, but it seems many doesn't like them so they stop taking them. I had a girlfriend who was manic/depressive, bi-polar and there were times you couldn't be around her or stand her. But we were friends thought it for 30 years. She tried to commit suicide many many times until she finally pulled it off in her early 50's in a way accidently. she drank a lot and one night slipped and hit her head. she was ok when they put her bed, but didn't realize she had a bleeding on her brain....it was sad

Meds can be difficult to comply with because many have some pretty big side effects. Bipolar is particularly hard because the manic phase feels so good even though it's ultimately destructive :(

Because it's one of the most frequently misunderstood illness', it is devasting to the victims and families, it's not curable and carries a big stigma. And also because I have a family member with it.

I see, Sir...sorry to hear about your relative and family suffering.

May I ask one more question before commenting on your original post? (So-called) schizophrenia is misunderstood by who and how do you know that? I am asking to try to better understand the original post:); I hope that you are not offended...

Anonymous1977

Last edited:
Meds can be difficult to comply with because many have some pretty big side effects. Bipolar is particularly hard because the manic phase feels so good even though it's ultimately destructive :(

Biggest misconception is mania feels good. Mania can make you jittery and irritable and can actually hurt.

Forum List

Back