What is it like to be Schizophrenic?

Meds can be difficult to comply with because many have some pretty big side effects. Bipolar is particularly hard because the manic phase feels so good even though it's ultimately destructive :(

Just about every psychiatric med suppresses the libido. Always struck me as odd a medicine designed to alleviate symptoms of say depression would take people's one great joy. :)

It's a wicked trade off - in fact, one of the things my brother complained about.

Other than in life or death type situations, we should refrain from accepting recommendations by conflict-of-interest doctors to take psychiatric meds. While I'm no Scientologist, it's irrefutable that there's a huge conflict-of-interest in the psychiatric profession proscribing drugs without an empirical way of determining what's wrong with the patient. Without the drug Rx's a psychiatrist wont make any money. Would just end up being a psychologist (who can't proscribe meds unless also certified to do so.) But in a lot of the cases people just need counselling, not mind-altering medication.

Whole prescription methodology is based on whatever the patient tells the psychiatrist. But if the patient doesn't have the terminology to accurately relate their thoughts and feelings the psychaitrist can get an inaccurate picture of what's going on. Then they proscribe whatever the drug reps are pushing off on them int he hopes that a desireable result takes hold. But because they don't know for sure what the patient's problem is, they often proscribe the wrong drug, in the wrong dosage and the patient not noticing improvement stops taking them, stops going to the psychiatrist, or their actual problem gets worse.

The US is the most over-proscribed nation in the developed world. Don't see anything close in Europe countries where psychiatry is handled very differently. And when it seems just about every mass shooter "has mental problems" I think it's about time we face facts and quit defaulting to trusting US psychiatrists.

I do agree with that, and that the pharma industry is really powerful in this country. But, there are some diseases, and schizophrenia is one, where it is fairly easy to diagnose and medications do have a beneficial effect. It's also an illness that really isn't amenable to other kinds of therapy- at least not without medication to take care of the symptoms.

One of the things that caused my brother to spiral down hill was changing the medications. He had a crap doctor (but it's very to find doctors willing to treat schizophrenia) and for some reason, they wanted to try some of the newer drugs on him. He had been on small dose of stelazine, and a few others for many years and his symptoms were well controlled with few side effects, but they just wanted to use the new stuff. It was not as effective, and in the process of switching and experimenting his symptoms were not well controlled, his paranoia went out the window, he stopped taking everything, he was constantly psychotic and his life crashed in a really bad way. He is now back on the older meds but unfortunately he now needs a higher dose and he is not as well as he was before all this.

He needs to ask his doctor about the drug Clozopine. It lowers the white blood cells and requires monthly blood draws but it's a miricle drug for his illness and for people with bipolar. A low dose does quite a bit. My uncle who has that disease is cured due to this drug. My mothers on it and she is FINALLY stable.

Meds can be difficult to comply with because many have some pretty big side effects. Bipolar is particularly hard because the manic phase feels so good even though it's ultimately destructive :(

Just about every psychiatric med suppresses the libido. Always struck me as odd a medicine designed to alleviate symptoms of say depression would take people's one great joy. :)

It's a wicked trade off - in fact, one of the things my brother complained about.

Other than in life or death type situations, we should refrain from accepting recommendations by conflict-of-interest doctors to take psychiatric meds. While I'm no Scientologist, it's irrefutable that there's a huge conflict-of-interest in the psychiatric profession proscribing drugs without an empirical way of determining what's wrong with the patient. Without the drug Rx's a psychiatrist wont make any money. Would just end up being a psychologist (who can't proscribe meds unless also certified to do so.) But in a lot of the cases people just need counselling, not mind-altering medication.

Whole prescription methodology is based on whatever the patient tells the psychiatrist. But if the patient doesn't have the terminology to accurately relate their thoughts and feelings the psychaitrist can get an inaccurate picture of what's going on. Then they proscribe whatever the drug reps are pushing off on them int he hopes that a desireable result takes hold. But because they don't know for sure what the patient's problem is, they often proscribe the wrong drug, in the wrong dosage and the patient not noticing improvement stops taking them, stops going to the psychiatrist, or their actual problem gets worse.

The US is the most over-proscribed nation in the developed world. Don't see anything close in Europe countries where psychiatry is handled very differently. And when it seems just about every mass shooter "has mental problems" I think it's about time we face facts and quit defaulting to trusting US psychiatrists.

I do agree with that, and that the pharma industry is really powerful in this country. But, there are some diseases, and schizophrenia is one, where it is fairly easy to diagnose and medications do have a beneficial effect. It's also an illness that really isn't amenable to other kinds of therapy- at least not without medication to take care of the symptoms.

One of the things that caused my brother to spiral down hill was changing the medications. He had a crap doctor (but it's very to find doctors willing to treat schizophrenia) and for some reason, they wanted to try some of the newer drugs on him. He had been on small dose of stelazine, and a few others for many years and his symptoms were well controlled with few side effects, but they just wanted to use the new stuff. It was not as effective, and in the process of switching and experimenting his symptoms were not well controlled, his paranoia went out the window, he stopped taking everything, he was constantly psychotic and his life crashed in a really bad way. He is now back on the older meds but unfortunately he now needs a higher dose and he is not as well as he was before all this.

He needs to ask his doctor about the drug Clozopine. It lowers the white blood cells and requires monthly blood draws but it's a miricle drug for his illness and for people with bipolar. A low dose does quite a bit. My uncle who has that disease is cured due to this drug. My mothers on it and she is FINALLY stable.

Clozopine was one of the ones he tried and did not do well on. :dunno:

Anti-depressents can actually make a depressed person suicidal.

It's one of the warnings on it, but suicide is also a risk of the disease.

Exactly. That's why anti-depressents shouldn't be prescribed. There's other drugs that can treat mania and depression.

Like what?

Clozopine - Read this,

A case study evaluating the use of clozapine in depression with psychotic features

Exactly. That's why anti-depressents shouldn't be prescribed. There's other drugs that can treat mania and depression.

Like what?

Clozopine - Read this,

A case study evaluating the use of clozapine in depression with psychotic features

It states she was prescribed clozapine and an anti-depressant. Presumably the clozapine was for the psychotic aspects.

Coyote - I used to be on 6 different meds and now I'm on a new one called Geodon which is used for people with you brothers condition and there's tiny bit of sedation, but it can be taken at night and lasts 24 hours and can be used for depression and mania and helps people to think level headed and clearly. I take 80mg. Lowest is 40. This is all I take at night and I'm cured.

Last edited:

Like what?

Clozopine - Read this,

It states she was prescribed clozapine and an anti-depressant. Presumably the clozapine was for the psychotic aspects.

No she was on multiple meds to treat mutile things including depression then was moved onto Clozopine and was cured for 2 full years.

The purpose of this case study was to use an evidence based medicine approach to work through an unusual way of treating a common problem. We looked at an example of an in-patient with severe refractory psychotic depression who had been resistant to treatment with a combination of antidepressant, antipsychotics, mood stabiliser, and concomitant ECT therapy.

We then undertook a literature search for the use of clozapine in a patient with severe refractory depression.

Abilify is another newer medication with small amount of sedation and can be taken at night and is a miracle drug. You need insurance for abilify and Geodon though. They have generic but it's still very expensive.

I don't know about abilify, but they tried geodon and it did not work well.

Many people and many families have to deal with mental illness. I think schizophrenia is one of the most misunderstood because we're only aware of it when sensational crimes are committed (like mass shootings), or we see the dirty, shambling guy on the street talking to himself, or it's a family member. A lot of times, incidents of excessive police force end up being in encounters with mentally ill people - police aren't trained to handle it in ways that reduce escalation. Some police forces are adding a specially trained people to help in those situations and prevent them from becoming violent confrontations.

I came across some interesting videos, experiments where people volunteered to try to see - hear - exist in the world as it is for a person suffering from schizophrenia.

http://www.refinery29.com/2014/06/69318/schizophrenia-simulator-video

For most of us, mental illnesses are concepts we can comprehend in the abstract — but actually empathizing with someone who suffers from one on a daily basis is another story entirely. There are often no physical symptoms for conditions like bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, and depression. And, because there's still a stigma in this country that prevents us from talking openly about these disorders (and few accurate representations of them in the media), it's difficult to understand how they work in reality.

With that in mind, Anderson Cooper took part in an experiment designed to replicate the experience of someone suffering with schizophrenia. Cooper spent a day with a simulation of typical schizophrenia symptoms (i.e. voices) playing constantly in his ear; he was asked to perform simple tasks and go about his day. As you'll see in the video above, what begins as an annoying distraction devolves into something a bit more distressing as the voices start yelling — and the normally cool, calm, and collected Cooper fights the urge to yell back.

http://www.cnn.com/video/api/embed.html#

These videos show a simulation of both the visual and auditory effects a person with schizophrenia might encounter attempting to do an ordinary activity such as a trip to the pharmacy.

This one is a link about a virtual reality program used for training police and other professionals who may have to encounter a person with unmedicated schizophrenia. Virtual Schizophrenia

Schosophrenic- someone who chooses to speak to God in a middle of a crowded street, instead of a crowded temple:)

But thanks, that was an interestinve article.

If you want to read some really interesting stuff regarding Schizophrenia look up Brian Iwata and his studies on the illness.

I promise you'll find it fascinating.

Thanks - I shall. My brother suffers from it - he was diagnosed in the 70's. We've come a long ways since then.

Oh, Refuah Shleima! best wishes to your brother and family .

Actually what happens is when a person is to low to act on thoughts and receives anti depressants that work as they get better they are still depressed but can get good enough to act on their thoughts before they pass out of that phase. I know it happened to me but I am too stubborn to act on my suicidal thoughts.

Abilify is the better more successful drug. Here read this. It treats depression, mania, and schizophrenia, and irritability.

ABILIFY aripiprazole Depression Bipolar I Disorder Schizophrenia
I take Geodon. Worked wonders for me but I am not schizo. I heard a voice inside my head and have major delusional paranoia and cyclic major depression. Geodon might have a side effect that might effect the heart. But I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Abilify is the better more successful drug. Here read this. It treats depression, mania, and schizophrenia, and irritability.

ABILIFY aripiprazole Depression Bipolar I Disorder Schizophrenia
I take Geodon. Worked wonders for me but I am not schizo. I heard a voice inside my head and have major delusional paranoia and cyclic major depression. Geodon might have a side effect that might effect the heart. But I wouldn't trade it for anything.

agree. I went from 6 meds to just geodon and was cured for the first time in 18 years.

Many people and many families have to deal with mental illness. I think schizophrenia is one of the most misunderstood because we're only aware of it when sensational crimes are committed (like mass shootings), or we see the dirty, shambling guy on the street talking to himself, or it's a family member. A lot of times, incidents of excessive police force end up being in encounters with mentally ill people - police aren't trained to handle it in ways that reduce escalation. Some police forces are adding a specially trained people to help in those situations and prevent them from becoming violent confrontations.

I came across some interesting videos, experiments where people volunteered to try to see - hear - exist in the world as it is for a person suffering from schizophrenia.

http://www.refinery29.com/2014/06/69318/schizophrenia-simulator-video

For most of us, mental illnesses are concepts we can comprehend in the abstract — but actually empathizing with someone who suffers from one on a daily basis is another story entirely. There are often no physical symptoms for conditions like bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, and depression. And, because there's still a stigma in this country that prevents us from talking openly about these disorders (and few accurate representations of them in the media), it's difficult to understand how they work in reality.

With that in mind, Anderson Cooper took part in an experiment designed to replicate the experience of someone suffering with schizophrenia. Cooper spent a day with a simulation of typical schizophrenia symptoms (i.e. voices) playing constantly in his ear; he was asked to perform simple tasks and go about his day. As you'll see in the video above, what begins as an annoying distraction devolves into something a bit more distressing as the voices start yelling — and the normally cool, calm, and collected Cooper fights the urge to yell back.

http://www.cnn.com/video/api/embed.html#

These videos show a simulation of both the visual and auditory effects a person with schizophrenia might encounter attempting to do an ordinary activity such as a trip to the pharmacy.

This one is a link about a virtual reality program used for training police and other professionals who may have to encounter a person with unmedicated schizophrenia. Virtual Schizophrenia

My wife had me put on earphones that had a conversation going, and then try and carry on a conversation with her at the same time. Same volume, same time. Very, very difficult. And that's one tenth of what a schizotypal individual experiences.

Misunderstood in the way it is portrayed in the public. For example - people assume it means multiple personalities, or that they are all violent. Another assumption is that it's just hearing voices, hallucinations and paranoia but those are the aspects that are easiest to help with medication. There are also other aspects of the disease that affects the person's ability to organize his thoughts, follow through on complex sequences of actions, self-motivate, and a flattening emotional effect. Those typically aren't helped by medication but can make it very difficult to live independently.

I see, Sir...well, I will assume that you are asking because you yourself misunderstand so-called Schizophrenia...

To preface my comment, I would just like to cite the fact that in the Scriptures of the Abrahamic religions, John the Baptist, Jesus, the Aposltle Paul, and ALL of the Prophets were called "insane"...in fact, Muhammad even "heard a voice" and that ("hearing that voice") was one of the ways that the Qur'an (the Book of Scripture of Islam) was revealed to him...so, I don't know if "hearing voices" and believing, as Jesus did in the Bible, that the rulers of his people wanted to harm him over his religious activites makes one insane.

That said, I have been diagnosed by American psychiatrists with having so-called schizophrenia because I hear voices and believe that the American government is fighting me because of my religious activites among Blacks...but like I said the Prophets were all called "crazy," so the way I see it, I am in good company LOL.

Now, I bypassed everything in your original post except the video (no offense meant) and I would just say that "schizophrenia" for me is nothing like your video...it is very much worse. Elaborating, the bad thing about "schizophrenia" (or my "schizophrenia" I should say) not portrayed in the video is that "the voices" can hear, if you will, your thoughts (they know every thought that goes through your mind)...so it's a case of ALWAYS BEING SPIED ON in your innermost thoughts..."the voices," knowing your innermost thoughts, know about things that are extremely difficult and painful for you and they VICIOUSLY attack you by saying things related to those extremely difficult & painful things in your life, all day long...so your privacy is being invaded, and you are being VICIOUSLY VICIOUSLY VICIOUSLY attacked with verbal assaults all day while knowing that it is possible that the whole world could be an audience to the ASSAULT from "the voices" (see Acts 2:17-18 in the Bible where God, who is "aware of all," says that He will pour out His ("all aware") Spirit on all flesh.)

That is what "schizophrenia" is like for me, but my faith in "the Abrahamic God" helps me, so.

I hope that I answered your question:).

Peace and may God Bless you.
Anonymous1977

Misunderstood in the way it is portrayed in the public. For example - people assume it means multiple personalities, or that they are all violent. Another assumption is that it's just hearing voices, hallucinations and paranoia but those are the aspects that are easiest to help with medication. There are also other aspects of the disease that affects the person's ability to organize his thoughts, follow through on complex sequences of actions, self-motivate, and a flattening emotional effect. Those typically aren't helped by medication but can make it very difficult to live independently.

I see, Sir...well, I will assume that you are asking because you yourself misunderstand so-called Schizophrenia...

To preface my comment, I would just like to cite the fact that in the Scriptures of the Abrahamic religions, John the Baptist, Jesus, the Aposltle Paul, and ALL of the Prophets were called "insane"...in fact, Muhammad even "heard a voice" and that ("hearing that voice") was one of the ways that the Qur'an (the Book of Scripture of Islam) was revealed to him...so, I don't know if "hearing voices" and believing, as Jesus did in the Bible, that the rulers of his people wanted to harm him over his religious activites makes one insane.

That said, I have been diagnosed by American psychiatrists with having so-called schizophrenia because I hear voices and believe that the American government is fighting me because of my religious activites among Blacks...but like I said the Prophets were all called "crazy," so the way I see it, I am in good company LOL.

Now, I bypassed everything in your original post except the video (no offense meant) and I would just say that "schizophrenia" for me is nothing like your video...it is very much worse. Elaborating, the bad thing about "schizophrenia" (or my "schizophrenia" I should say) not portrayed in the video is that "the voices" can hear, if you will, your thoughts (they know every thought that goes through your mind)...so it's a case of ALWAYS BEING SPIED ON in your innermost thoughts..."the voices," knowing your innermost thoughts, know about things that are extremely difficult and painful for you and they VICIOUSLY attack you by saying things related to those extremely difficult & painful things in your life, all day long...so your privacy is being invaded, and you are being VICIOUSLY VICIOUSLY VICIOUSLY attacked with verbal assaults all day while knowing that it is possible that the whole world could be an audience to the ASSAULT from "the voices" (see Acts 2:17-18 in the Bible where God, who is "aware of all," says that He will pour out His ("all aware") Spirit on all flesh.)

That is what "schizophrenia" is like for me, but my faith in "the Abrahamic God" helps me, so.

I hope that I answered your question:).

Peace and may God Bless you.
Anonymous1977

Thank you - your post is very illuminating. My brother kind of said some similar things, about the voices, when he was willing to talk about it which was seldom. I don't think any video or audio can really capture the reality, but maybe it's helpful for law enforcement and other people who might come into contact with a schizophrenic person in crisis. And yes, you did answer my question :)

Forum List

Back